[PIC_THREAD] Wildlife, Animals, Birds, Zoo

Soldato
Managed to capture a butterfly. Not great but not terrible. Would be nice to buy a macro lens for these type of shots.

Butterfly-4.jpg

Butterfly-2.jpg

Butterfly-1.jpg

Soldato
Managed to capture a butterfly. Not great but not terrible. Would be nice to buy a macro lens for these type of shots.

Butterfly-4.jpg

Butterfly-2.jpg

Butterfly-1.jpg

Sorry to hijack, but on the topic of butterflies, I am heading to a popular butterfly meadow in Winchester on Wednesday. I have a D610, and have a choice of Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5 AF-P VR, or old Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d prime, with Kenko N-AF Uniplus Tube 25mm extension tube.

I've never shot butterflies before. Which lens to you think is best suited for it - the telephoto, or prime (with extention tube?)?

Soldato
Sorry to hijack, but on the topic of butterflies, I am heading to a popular butterfly meadow in Winchester on Wednesday. I have a D610, and have a choice of Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5 AF-P VR, or old Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d prime, with Kenko N-AF Uniplus Tube 25mm extension tube.

I've never shot butterflies before. Which lens to you think is best suited for it - the telephoto, or prime (with extention tube?)?

I'd go telephoto,it's what I use.
But I've not had experience with an extension tube*

Soldato

Looking back over the past few years I see that the best butterfly non-macro shots I’ve taken have been with a 300mm prime lens.To get 1:1 shots of butterflies or greater you need to get much closer using preferably a macro lens with extension tubes which requires a different technique and can be frustrating when they fly away just as you are getting nice and close and focussed!

Soldato
For close shots I get up at dawn or go late as they roost. Stacking produces sharp images with great bokeh.

If you're a beginner I'd start with a telephoto. As footman said 300mm and above.

Soldato
Thanks. I've never been to that meadow, and not shot butterflies in a meaningful manner before, so will stick to the telephoto to start of with. I'll post a few up afterwards, assuming the weather doesn't get in the way, and I get some decent results.

If you're interested the place is Magdalen Hill nature reserve, or St. Catherine's Hill.

And

And

Associate
Thanks footman. Not the easiest combo as I find you have to be extra careful with your technique.

@Buddy: I have a9/a7r4/a7r3. a9ii donations welcomed :D

And

And

Associate
Kept the Canon 16-35 F4 which I use (with adapter) for landscapes along with the Sony 24-105 F4. Will be selling the A7R3.

Back
Top Bottom