• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
What I didnt realise is the rumours are there are two versions of the Xbox X one being a cut down version. Speculation its the one without a bluray drive but also that the spec will be less. Kind of a HD version and a 4k Raytracing version. Maybe one at £400 and one at £600. I wouldnt be surprised if you see £80 to £100 games.

Also made me laugh the screenshot in one article talking about SSD and downloading a PS4 download for a full game, 68gb, 30hrs to download. Another thing we are used to is downloading our games, there will be a lot of console owners not used to download only if they take the disc driveless Xbox. Especially if they dont have fibre.

Plus there is still the risk of red triangle of death or whatever new freak issue that seems to happen every Xbox generation.

Suddenly a decent Ray Tracing 4k graphics card at £799 against an Xbox X at maybe £599 doesnt look so bad. At least with the aforementioned option you are pretty much know you can just install it and it will just work.

Soldato
Nvidia must be willing to lose the gfx card business and rely on the AI, deep learning market because every time they increase prices they push some people towards consoles.

Associate
What I didnt realise is the rumours are there are two versions of the Xbox X one being a cut down version. Speculation its the one without a bluray drive but also that the spec will be less. Kind of a HD version and a 4k Raytracing version. Maybe one at £400 and one at £600. I wouldnt be surprised if you see £80 to £100 games.

Also made me laugh the screenshot in one article talking about SSD and downloading a PS4 download for a full game, 68gb, 30hrs to download. Another thing we are used to is downloading our games, there will be a lot of console owners not used to download only if they take the disc driveless Xbox. Especially if they dont have fibre.

Plus there is still the risk of red triangle of death or whatever new freak issue that seems to happen every Xbox generation.

Suddenly a decent Ray Tracing 4k graphics card at £799 against an Xbox X at maybe £599 doesnt look so bad. At least with the aforementioned option you are pretty much know you can just install it and it will just work.
How do you know it will work ? Are you saying new GPUs never have problems at launch? 290x And the RTX series had lots of problems just as an example of which there are many more.
Also if I buy a new GPU and I don't have fibre what happens? Does my download speed increase?

Your post has me very confused

Soldato
How do you know it will work ? Are you saying new GPUs never have problems at launch? 290x And the RTX series had lots of problems just as an example of which there are many more.
Also if I buy a new GPU and I don't have fibre what happens? Does my download speed increase?

Your post has me very confused

What I am saying is you know your PC, you know your PC works in its current state. Put a new gfx card in it then you have the confidence its going to work fine. Your RTX/290 is a good point but we can just buy a GPU that doesnt have an issue. Console owners with their red ring of death looming over them didnt have the ability to do that.

Your GPU/fibre question confuses me I was talking about console owners not all used to massive downloads for games. Take away the ability to buy a physical copy of a game and suddenly they have to rely on their broadband connection. Are console only users used to downloading all their games ? My two moan when their Switch has to do a 2gb Fortnite update.

Anyway will stop this is off topic.

Caporegime
OP
Ampere A100 benchmarks leaking for Octane Render Bench

Stock Ampere A100 scores 446 points in Octane Bench
Stock RTX2080ti scores 300 points, RTX8000 scores 318 points.

https://twitter.com/JulesUrbach/status/1286448029600374784

Not bad I think, yes its 6900 cores but they're slow cores at 1400mhz - scale the cores down to 5300 for the 3080ti but bump the clocks to 1800mhz and that would put the 3080ti a good 50% faster than the 2080ti too.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-ins...nchmarks-leak-faster-than-nvidia-ampere-a100/

:p

Associate
Why do you think I sometimes play with them and keep an eye on their friends list. They dont know their password, its got 2FA on and I use Microsoft Family to control their usage. You can use it to limit playing time, kick them off the computer remotely (even when I`m at work and they are at home) at a click of the mouse. Block websites see their usage stats. MS Family is probably the best free user friendly service they have ever created. I love it.

I`m probably in a minority of parents who actually fully control their kids screen time usage.

(I know you joshing btw)

sorry gone off topic. End.
A friend let his 5 year old play battlefield online, they were so proud they posted a picture on Facebook.

A few days later they were called into their kids teacher to explain why they are letting him play 18 rated games .:eek:

He did some moaning about it:D.

Is the online chat that's worse than the games in my view.

Soldato
A friend let his 5 year old play battlefield online, they were so proud they posted a picture on Facebook.

A few days later they were called into their kids teacher to explain why they are letting him play 18 rated games .:eek:

He did some moaning about it:D.

Is the online chat that's worse than the games in my view.

I wouldnt let mine play anything like COD or Battlefield. Any game above 12 rating is blocked anyway. On Fortnite they only chat with their friends. Most parents are clueless when it comes to what their kids play or how to control it. Your post above about Facebook just proves the point.

This thread should probably be closed or suspended until we actual get some new on topic material to discuss. :D

Soldato

It looks terrible actually,as you still need the rest of a PC to plug it into,and most PC gamers use a prebuilt rig.

Also I tried speccing up some prebuilt gaming PCs for someone else,and you are easily looking at £1400~£1500 for a gaming PC with a Ryzen 7 3700X/Ryzen 9 3900 non-X,an RTX2060 Super/RX5700XT,1TB NVME SSD,etc. At £1000~£1100 you are still looking at a Ryzen 5 3600/3600X in most cases with a GTX1660 Super!

People will need to determine whether their PC can actually run the game,what settings it can run at,and also whether they need to install newer drivers,etc. Then there is the problem of whether that driver install has bugs which need to be fixed in an update,whether MS introduces another Win10 update which causes problems,etc.

Consoles might have their own share of bugs and problems,but they are simpler closed systems.

Last edited:
Associate
Okay so if I had £700 say and I could buy a Xbox X or a £700 3070 I would buy a 3070 because I know my PC and I hate consoles.

Wasnt talking about most gamers was talking about this forum.

the whole basis for your theory is skewed. You hate consoles so you are talking about yourself not this forum.

let's hope when you buy a 3070 you don't have any compatibility issues with your system...........

Soldato
Even on this forum,people are assuming people have top CPUs,etc. For instance,if the purported specs of the consoles are correct,I would need to spend £800 at least to upgrade my CPU and GPU to be close. I can at least plug in a better CPU. But what if you don't have a newer platform,ie,stuck on Haswell/Skylake/Kabylake,that means over a £1000 at that point. Plus the cost of a NVME SSD,if you don't already use one.

The main part of that is overpriced GPUs.

Edit!!

In the past GPUs were relatively cheaper,and consoles relatively more expensive IIRC.

If Nvidia and AMD are trying more of the "let's milk the PC gaming crowd since we think they are whales",then I can wait longer,until they run out of milk.

Associate
Even on this forum,people are assuming people have top CPUs,etc. For instance,if the purported specs of the consoles are correct,I would need to spend £800 at least to upgrade my CPU and GPU to be close. I can at least plug in a betetr CPU. But what if you don't have a newer platform,ie,stuck on Haswell/Skylake/Kabylake,that means over a £1000 at that point.

The main part of that is overpriced GPUs.

We also have to accept that current console gamers and anyone looking to get into gaming are far more likely to buy a console than fork out over a grand on a gaming PC.

It's easier for a PC owner to justify upgrades but for someone with no hardware at all, the consoles are the cheapest and simplest way to get into gaming.

Soldato
We also have to accept that current console gamers and anyone looking to get into gaming are far more likely to buy a console than fork out over a grand on a gaming PC.

It's easier for a PC owner to justify upgrades but for someone with no hardware at all, the consoles are the cheapest and simplest way to get into gaming.

The problem is a £1000 gaming PC has worse specs than any of the newer consoles,then you need to add the monitor,peripherals,etc and most people have a TV already. In many cases,prebuilt gaming desktops are so overpriced,you can get a reasonably specced gaming laptop for similar money.

Edit!!

If this new generation of GPUs,isn't a massive improvement in performance at each given pricing tier,with new consoles,a massive upcoming recession,etc,then you will know exactly what AMD/Nvidia think of PC gamers. The words Cash and Cow comes to mind.

Soldato
Pros and cons. But one big pro to spending say £700 on a PS5 would be the access to the PS exclusives which you wont get on PC.

Also... I don't think either a 3070 or a PS5 will be £700. They will be cheaper.

I can't see the consoles selling for more than £600. I reckon £500-550.

And a 3070 should be around the same.

Associate
If this new generation of GPUs,isn't a massive improvement in performance at each given pricing tier,with new consoles,a massive upcoming recession,etc,then you will know exactly what AMD/Nvidia think of PC gamers. The words Cash and Cow comes to mind.

Shock ran through the gaming world today as a company released a product to try to make money, rather than their usual charitable, loss-making efforts...

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I recently got a 165hz 1440p Freesync 2 monitor for my partner and took the chance to do a comparison with my 4K monitor. I could feel the extra smoothness for sure, but I just can't seem to deal with the reduction in the image quality due to the lower resolution. I have had a 4K monitor for 6 years now and I am just too used to the better IQ to go back.

I could upgrade to a 144hz 4K monitor, but I do not see the point in that either, as my next monitor needs to be an 4K OLED, otherwise I am more than happy with what I got. Will likely upgrade to one of those in a year or so once they have a 40" version. In the meantime I can take my PC down and connect it to my G-Sync 120Hz OLED in the living room when I want. Still not done so, no point until I get a 3070 I figure :D

You’re doing it wrong.

512-CE54-C-87-CC-4180-86-D5-F89-BAEBBBFD0.jpg

Soldato
Shock ran through the gaming world today as a company released a product to try to make money, rather than their usual charitable, loss-making efforts...

:D:D Very good.

I don't give a flying fig about companies - if you want to be a whale with very low expectations it isn't my problem. It was the same whales who defended loot boxes,saying companies were not charities and sadly for them multiple governments now are stepping in. The same goes with price caps on energy costs and drug prices,which I assume you must hate,as it helps consumers,but not company profits.

AMD/Nvidia are not UK based,and they don't contribute that much to our country in taxes- you can go and enrich other countries then. The same lot will started moaning,if our government increases taxation,which is actually of more use to the country.

Despite this if you still that worried about company profits,why won't you tell your workplace to pay you less,so that they can make more money. They are not a charity too,so only entitled people expect raises,as it costs the company money. Same difference. Sarcasm\.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom