Stupid oversight advice - TV & Soundbar fit

Associate
So.....

I had a JL & Samsung code from a work rewards scheme - and used to purchase a Samsung TV and Soundbar combo from JL.

I went for one of the further recommended "£399 off" packages at the John Lewis site were if you purchase a Samsung QE55Q65T (2020) QLED you get £399 off a Samsung HW-Q800T Dolby Atmos Soundbar. Online reviews seemed in line with my fit for a high-end budget level QLED/Soundbar.

Installing these last night - the bloody things don't appear to fit one another dimensions wise - the TV feet are positioned too close together to get the sound-bar semi-underneath. I appreciate the bar needs to have some space to allow the atmos drivers to fire upwards but this seems a complete mis-match.

Now I'm kicking myself for not checking that at the time of purchase, thinking that a same brand same offer combo would be intended to go together.... assumption/mother and all that.

I'm thinking options are:

• Return Sound-Bar, however I may miss out on the £399 discount, it appears all other sound-bars in this range are that length.

• Return TV, but this also invalidates the £399 off

• Get a different TV Pedestal - Looking for a pedestal that does not change the height of the TV (it can't go any higher for both viewing angles and asthetics in the room) but one that has a wider base allowing the Sound-Bar under the TV

• Get a different TV stand that might allow the soundbar to be positioned elsewhere - although I am not sure what impect this might have on the atmos speakers.

• Any innovative solutions recommended here

Any thoughts team?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I had to recently pick up a tempered glass pedestal stand to put my 65” C9 on, then Sonos Beam underneath.

Appreciate with Atmos you won’t want it underneath but my Beam sits in front of the TV rather than directly underneath it.

Works for me anyway.

Soldato
you can't put the soundbar on a piece of wood, to raise it 1", say, into the gap between tv feet and base of tv.
(or, does the base of the soundbar's proximity to a flat surface contribute a lot to sound)

Soldato
I'm sure you'll have already checked, but my Samsung soundbar (HW-MS650) came with some extra feet in the box that raise it up so the stands on Samsung TVs (of the time anyway) could fit underneath to some degree.

Soldato
Could you not just balance the sound bar on top of the feet? It looks like it would fit and just hold it in place with my personal pro level hifi accessory, Blu Tack.

Alternatively, how about one of those clamp on VESA type arms for the TV?

you can't put the soundbar on a piece of wood, to raise it 1", say, into the gap between tv feet and base of tv.
(or, does the base of the soundbar's proximity to a flat surface contribute a lot to sound)

You could then cover it in some kind of speaker cloth to give it a nice finish.

Soldato
I'd have just stood it on something to elevate it. But I'm not much of an interior design guy so I just go for whatever seems functional.

My centre speaker is directed towards listening position by being placed on two rubber door wedges.

Associate
you could try getting one of the riser to elevate the TV but those would be around 30-60 quid - much better or getting a new tv table that would accommodate the sound bar anyways. Other option would be to return the soundbar if thats possible?

Soldato
not sure acoustically, about having glass in the vicinity of the soundbar, as opposed to wood, the sound would reflect off of it, and, it may resonate too,
versus (most) wood just soaking it up.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
not sure acoustically, about having glass in the vicinity of the soundbar, as opposed to wood, the sound would reflect off of it, and, it may resonate too,
versus (most) wood just soaking it up.

Yeah, I thought that too but my Beam sits in front of the glass riser rather than underneath it and it sounds fine.

doc

doc

Associate
Just get some of those sound insulating rubber pads you put under high end speakers and jack it up a bit. They come in all shapes and sizes and will be one of the cheapest options.

You could also get the metal spike version of the speaker insulaters, which go higher, but I doubt you want that on your nice wood top.

Associate
i thought all modern TV have a option to be wall mounted via a VESA mount i think that the industry standard weather it be a Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung TV. I know my sony A1 OLED is mounted via Vesa wall mounting.

Back
Top Bottom