• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I recently got a 165hz 1440p :D 2 monitor for my partner and took the chance to do a comparison with my 4K monitor. I could feel the extra smoothness for sure, but I just can't seem to deal with the reduction in the image quality due to the lower resolution. I have had a 4K monitor for 6 years now and I am just too used to the better IQ to go back.

I could upgrade to a 144hz 4K monitor, but I do not see the point in that either, as my next monitor needs to be an 4K OLED, otherwise I am more than happy with what I got. Will likely upgrade to one of those in a year or so once they have a 40" version. In the meantime I can take my PC down and connect it to my G-Sync 120Hz OLED in the living room when I want. Still not done so, no point until I get a 3070 I figure :D

My kid has a 144hz monitor and I can’t tell the difference either my eyes are locked on 60fps lol.:confused::D:D

Associate
Shock ran through the gaming world today as a company released a product to try to make money, rather than their usual charitable, loss-making efforts...

That's a silly thing to say there is a wide margin between charitable loss making and exploiting market conditions to rip people off. Nvidia could half the price of a 2080Ti and still make money.

Associate
That's a silly thing to say there is a wide margin between charitable loss making and exploiting market conditions to rip people off. Nvidia could half the price of a 2080Ti and still make money.

Less profit = less investors = less capital = less R&D expenditure. While they could make it cheaper, why would they if they're hitting sales targets?

Associate
Why do you think I sometimes play with them and keep an eye on their friends list. They dont know their password, its got 2FA on and I use Microsoft Family to control their usage. You can use it to limit playing time, kick them off the computer remotely (even when I`m at work and they are at home) at a click of the mouse. Block websites see their usage stats. MS Family is probably the best free user friendly service they have ever created. I love it.

I`m probably in a minority of parents who actually fully control their kids screen time usage.

(I know you joshing btw)

sorry gone off topic. End.
Good man, nice post I love a hands on approach rather than a female friend's who asked me what GTA 4 was about as her 7 year old was playing it! It seems controlling screen usage is possible if parents can be arsed.

Associate
I don't give a flying fig about companies - if you want to be a whale with very low expectations it isn't my problem. It was the same whales who defended loot boxes,saying companies were not charities and sadly for them multiple governments now are stepping in. The same goes with price caps on energy costs and drug prices,which I assume you must hate,as it helps consumers,but not company profits.

AMD/Nvidia are not UK based,and they don't contribute that much to our country in taxes- you can go and enrich other countries then. The same lot will started moaning,if our government increases taxation,which is actually of more use to the country.

Despite this if you still that worried about company profits,why won't you tell your workplace to pay you less,so that they can make more money. They are not a charity too,so only entitled people expect raises,as it costs the company money. Same difference. Sarcasm\.

:rolleyes:
Lol, very good Sir!

Associate
Less profit = less investors = less capital = less R&D expenditure. While they could make it cheaper, why would they if they're hitting sales targets?
Less profit=less private jets=less coke and hookers=less corruption=more R&D expenditure=better ROI. There comes a point where profit and it's pursuit creates Enrons and the like.

Associate
I don't give a flying fig about companies - if you want to be a whale with very low expectations it isn't my problem. It was the same whales who defended loot boxes,saying companies were not charities and sadly for them multiple governments now are stepping in. The same goes with price caps on energy costs and drug prices,which I assume you must hate,as it helps consumers,but not company profits.

AMD/Nvidia are not UK based,and they don't contribute that much to our country in taxes- you can go and enrich other countries then. The same lot will started moaning,if our government increases taxation,which is actually of more use to the country.

Despite this if you still that worried about company profits,why won't you tell your workplace to pay you less,so that they can make more money. They are not a charity too,so only entitled people expect raises,as it costs the company money. Same difference. Sarcasm\.

:rolleyes:

Oh wow, I did hit a nerve.

All I'm saying is you are a cash cow, for every company you buy anything from, don't be surprised that they're trying to make money from you - that's literally why they exist.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You’re doing it wrong.

512-CE54-C-87-CC-4180-86-D5-F89-BAEBBBFD0.jpg
On my mobile right now. Can't even tell what that picture is :p

My kid has a 144hz monitor and I can’t tell the difference either my eyes are locked on 60fps lol.:confused::D:D
Yea. Each to their own. I see it, just does not make much of a difference to my overall enjoyment, where as the better image quality does.

I kind of wish that was not the case as it was crazy to see the huge difference in fps going from 1440p to 4K on my stop gab RX 580.

This is why I will not bother to be an early adopter of 8K. I mean there may be no need anyway because by then we will be on DLSS 4.0 which will take 4K images and make them look better than 16K native! :p:D

Soldato
TBF,I tried a mate's monitor,and I found it wasn't really noticeable in many games. It's mostly the fast paced games,which benefit from higher fps,refresh rates,etc. If its a walking simulator,not so much! :p
I tried this, breakpoint at 60fps and 100+fps is a huge difference especially with freesync and gsync enabled.

I actually feel abit of input lag now with 60fps lol

Soldato
I tried this, breakpoint at 60fps and 100+fps is a huge difference especially with freesync and gsync enabled.

I actually feel abit of input lag now with 60fps lol

Isn't that an online tactical shooter though? Would Firewatch benefit from 120HHZ? I doubt it.

So if someone plays mostly fast paced FPS games,it would be a potential benefit,but maybe not so much for other types of games.

Soldato
the whole basis for your theory is skewed. You hate consoles so you are talking about yourself not this forum.

let's hope when you buy a 3070 you don't have any compatibility issues with your system...........

I think you are misunderstand what I put originally. Never mind its off topic.
I`m not buying a 3070 either and never said I was so who is skewed now ?? :p

Soldato
Isn't that an online tactical shooter though? Would Firewatch benefit from 120HHZ? I doubt it.

3rd person is bearable at 60fps
1st person isn't

I can handle Death Stranding at 4k60 with dips below but that's rare for me and down to the fact there's very little movement/panning required.

I set up the same game (Fallout 4) at an identical save point on my son's PS4 on a normal TV, side by side with my x34, and showed him the direct comparison between 1440@100 and 1080@60. The PS4 looked like it was running below 60 and the X34 was silky smooth with Gsync.

He says, "what is it that I'm supposed to be seeing, Da" :p

It's totally subjective.

Soldato
3rd person is bearable at 60fps
1st person isn't

I can handle Death Stranding at 4k60 with dips below but that's rare for me and down to the fact there's very little movement/panning required.

I set up the same game (Fallout 4) at an identical save point on my son's PS4 on a normal TV, side by side with my x34, and showed him the direct comparison between 1440@100 and 1080@60. The PS4 looked like it was running below 60 and the X34 was silky smooth with Gsync.

He says, "what is it in supposed to be seeing, Da" :p

It's totally subjective.

I felt myself it wasn't that noticeable with slower pace games,most shooters,due to the frenetic action in them,ie,lots of quick movements,etc.

Fallout 4 is the last game you want running at anything over 60~70FPS though!!:p Above that physics gets wonky as it is linked to framerate. There are mods trying to address this,but the effects won't go totally away.

Also what you are seeing is not so much the effect of the FPS,its microstutter which Fallout 4 has. It is very CPU demanding especially in settlements,and parts of the maps with high NPC count and lots of clutter. Drawcalls can go silly high(just use one of the ENB profilers). The consoles have very weak CPUs,and even when I upgraded from an IB Xeon E3 to a Ryzen 5,the difference was very noticeable,even in places where I dipped under 60FPS(I have mods),as there was less stutter. The average FPS wasn't that different,but it was the minimums which did. It also loves SSDs too. With a few mods,it can literally become unplayable on a normal HDD!

Last edited:
Associate
I think you are misunderstand what I put originally. Never mind its off topic.
I`m not buying a 3070 either and never said I was so who is skewed now ?? :p
Still you :p you literally said you would buy the 3070 because "you know your system".

So again while using the fact that a console is new and can have issues at launch against it you promote the 3070 because for some reason you think it is garanteed to work in your PC without any issues even though it is new and can have issues at launch:confused:.

Skewed logic is skewed .
I'm out because I've lost hairs trying to figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom