Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Well I decided to try Windows Server 2019 (luckily I have access to legal licenses via work) and after a few installation/setup issues I finally got my server up and running and Drive Bender storage pool fully restored and then it dawned on me that I was using the folder duplication functionality within WHS2011.

Anyone know if Server 2019 offers folder duplication or an alternative tool that I can setup?

Soldato
Well I decided to try Windows Server 2019 (luckily I have access to legal licenses via work) and after a few installation/setup issues I finally got my server up and running and Drive Bender storage pool fully restored and then it dawned on me that I was using the folder duplication functionality within WHS2011.

Anyone know if Server 2019 offers folder duplication or an alternative tool that I can setup?
Ignore, looking further it seems it is Drive Bender that is handling the folder duplication so I just need to re-setup the shares. I think previously Drive Bender linked directly into the WHS Dashboard interface.

Soldato
So currently running DSM 6.2-23739 (XPenlogy) and when I try and install a package I get the following error in Package Center "The available disk space of this system is insufficient", there is 2.7TB of free disk space?

y4mD11z_vcq9Mjvlq_p5Dal86kMcJpWyVnZ82iAG_wfaTJ9Mc3An2_kA7CwigcgKXN_o-MbQLePC7YxXA8qn3ghf8k1dvZ-MnP9iTymdqgD1zTtJ4hWrTGUqKnW5b3diD7IH1fVrFRCv6W02wZxg7x6PxAtZz9iGI2gG9iNHReMuetstxbxTWy0_zozoTCPtFPNqskYlVupyJBDD_6uNG3n2A

Just posting on the hope that somebody might have hit this issue before.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK so that would be on my USB stick, I thought that was just used for the BOOT image, not for any kind of storage?

It's actually more than likely a packaging error in the software you are adding, are you running at nearly full disk space on your disk array? Nothing is added to the boot USB at all so it is not that. See how full your disk(s) are, and maybe move some files around, or try an older version of the package.

Soldato
There is 2.7 TB free, all packages give the same error.

It because /dev/md0 is full:

admin@Filmstation:/$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 2.3G 2.3G 0 100% /
none 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev
/tmp 7.9G 348K 7.9G 1% /tmp
/run 7.9G 3.7M 7.9G 1% /run
/dev/shm 7.9G 16K 7.9G 1% /dev/shm
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
cgmfs 100K 0 100K 0% /run/cgmanager/fs
/dev/md2 21T 19T 2.8T 88% /volume1

but I'm not sure what it does or how to empty it!

Last edited:
I upgraded my Gen 8 again this week.
Approximately 18 months ago I upgraded the awful Celeron CPU to an i3 3240. Even though the TDP is 55W the stock 35W cooler copes just fine with it.

This weekend I have upgraded the 200W PSU for a Seasonic 250W one. Cost me £9 plus postage used.

I also upgraded the Geforce 210 GPU. It worked just fine, but a Geforce 1030 (albeit the much slower DDR4 version) at least supports 4K. As I use the Gen 8 in my living room it means it will now support my future 4k TV plans.

Associate
Was contemplating upgrading the N54L, but after doing the man maths it just wasn't worth it for my use case.

I grabbed some larger HDDs and reused some old SSDs in order to optimise the storage. The old configuration was 4x HDDs (mix of 2 & 3TB) in a single SHR and the new configuration is 2x 256GB SSD in a SHR and 3x 12TB HDDs in a SHR.
The new configuration allows the apps (including Plex meta data), downloads and temporary files to be run from the SSDs and then the HDDs just for storage.

Overall there is not a huge benefit, although the artwork in Plex does appear to load a little quicker.

Soldato
Still not seeing great prices on the new Gen10+ anywhere - appears to be about £400 for the Pentium version and £600 for the Xeon or there abouts?

The Dell T40 at £350 with Xeon is looking like good value at the mo (less HDD bays though easier for PCIE cards) - what are people here typically paying for Gen10+?

Don
what are people here typically paying for Gen10+?

I'm not sure that many people are paying anything for them.

£400 is a decent chunk for a self build using "normal" components, but even Server grade Supermicro or ASRock motherboards, Xeon/Epyc and ECC ram are doable at the £600 sort of budget level.

Alternatively the £400-£600 brackets buys a decent enough Synology/QNAP/etc NAS appliance that are an attractive easy option for most.

Whilst the G10+ is a decent proposition (certainly compared to the standard G10), they aren't the "bargain" that the older G7 and G8 were (although tbf some of that value was due to the cashback schemes offered).

Soldato
Unless you have zero wish/ability to build something, or money to burn, then for a home server the G10/+ doesn’t make a lot of sense. You can buy or build better in the same sort of form factor for less, a lot less if you can forego IPMI.

Soldato
I only got into a self build as the Gen8 wasn't followed by a Gen9, and then the original Gen10 was such a let down, so I built on a Node 804/mATX combo, but even that is now going smaller on a Node 304/iTX setup, just waiting for the Renoir APU's to become available..

Soldato
Yeah same, I dont think we'll see that level of cashback and price cuts until the next unit comes out and people are shifting stock, although I didnt see it with the original Gen10 so maybe HPE have just straight up stopped giving a monkeys about the SOHO/Hobbyist guys.

Back
Top Bottom