Which Mesh WIFI?

Soldato
So, powerline doesn't work reliably. See, that's much better than wasting a post like your previous reply.

Sorry, obviously I have higher expectations of people’s willingness to search for basic information than I perhaps should. Call it eternal optimism.

Soldato
Sorry, obviously I have higher expectations of people’s willingness to search for basic information than I perhaps should. Call it eternal optimism.
I looked for reviews, and couldn't find anything I'd call unbiased or not sponsored by Huawei.

And your negative experience isn't first hand so your opinion is also pretty worthless. Actually other than being an arrogant bell, you've really not helped at all.

Associate
I couldn't find anything on the Huawei stuff either. Was interested in some sort of backhaul (only the bonkers money mesh systems have 5Ghz dedicated backhaul).

In the end went for M5s, despite the non-dedicated backhaul they perform excellently. Depends on speed expectations I guess (I get ~150 > 170mbps from a 200mbps VM line.)

Soldato
2xDeco M5 currently the same price as 3xDeco M4 £99.99

What am I gaining from the M5 that would justify one less unit?

Edit: NVM I found an article; M5 better performance at 2.4Ghz range which is what my son's PS4 uses, so a no brainer as far as he's concerned. :)

Oh, edit #2

Actually, could I position the M4 next to the PS4 and connect it via ethernet? Is that how the Ethernet port works with the M4?

Last edited:
Soldato
I looked for reviews, and couldn't find anything I'd call unbiased or not sponsored by Huawei.

And your negative experience isn't first hand so your opinion is also pretty worthless. Actually other than being an arrogant bell, you've really not helped at all.

I’ve already explained that Huawei would have to do one of the following:

• Rewire every single property to single circuit for all sockets, remove spurs etc.

• Re-invent the underlying technology of powerline so that physics as we understand it doesn’t apply and all joints/breaker hops are penalty free.

If they had done either of those, it’s not unreasonable to expect the marketing team may make something of it, or at least use a name that differentiates it from the old standard. Suggesting anyone needs first hand experience of a product that’s inherent limitations are obvious is laughable, I can tell you eating your own poo is a bad idea, feel free to ignore my lack of first hand experience, try it and report back ;)

Associate
. Suggesting anyone needs first hand experience of a product that’s inherent limitations are obvious is laughable, I can tell you eating your own poo is a bad idea, feel free to ignore my lack of first hand experience, try it and report back ;)

To be fair I've only started using this sub forum and have noticed you often air a holier than you attitude.

Really good that you're spending your time and imparting your knowledge to others, but quite frankly I think sometimes people would rather not have your input. Shame.

Back on topic, the m5 certainly works on ethernet - I do the same with my ps4 / pc. It seems to be the same setup with 2 ports per device.

Soldato
Yeh some of the elitest numpties in here crack you up. The tp link and m5 and p9 work well in most scenarios like that. Ethernet into the device then it uses the mesh.

Could I come out the Ethernet to a hard wired connection on a device like a PS4, or is it one or the other either WiFi or router?

Hope that makes sense. Cheers.

Soldato
The challenge with dismissing the ‘elitist numpties’ (and I may be one myself) is that generally they’ve been there, done that etc. and they can read a spec sheet and sort the possibly nice wheat from the obviously ropey chaff. You might not like how @Avalon posted what he did, but the kernel of what he posted is correct.

Cable > Wired Access Point > Mesh > Powerline

What the sales spiel of the various mesh systems don’t tell you is they all based on one of a couple of chipsets and, in the real world, they all perform similarly. People will always recommend the one they have used successfully, so you get many and varied recommendations, which is, in itself, confusing. And the thing is, most of these systems do a job. Most people are happy with their mesh and they’re not wrong to recommend what has made them happy. And it’s only the elite numpties who really love to pick apart the differences and find the ones that they, personally, think are least rubbish.

The Huawei system is interesting because Huawei have been cut off from the likes of Broadcom and Qualcomm and Intel so they’re now building their own chipsets and they’re probably quite good if their other products are anything to go by. So I’m going to buy one and test it. If it’s poo then I’ll report that. If it’s not then I’ll report that too.

And whatever you do, please don’t spend £600 on Orbi. It’s just patently early adopter tax and in 6 months time you’ll be able to buy something MUCH better for less than half that.

Associate
I don't think anyone wants to dismiss anyone with experience. But an attitude like shown above just stinks.

Yes for sure on the cable > ap etc.. I totally understand. 5 or 10 years ago I'd be with you. And would research and install the best. Now I just want something that works easily :p

Think it's just about understanding the requirements of the op :)

Soldato
I don't think anyone wants to dismiss anyone with experience. But an attitude like shown above just stinks.

Yes for sure on the cable > ap etc.. I totally understand. 5 or 10 years ago I'd be with you. And would research and install the best. Now I just want something that works easily :p

Think it's just about understanding the requirements of the op :)

With my forum elitist numpty head firmly in place I'm going to have to disagree with you. What you are interpreting as a stinky attitude others interpret as humour. People's attempts at humour when posting often fall flat and I'd rather you looked at the intent of various posts rather than your personal reaction to it and I think you'd see that in almost every case the elitist numpties are genuinely trying to be helpful.

On every pack of Pedro's Synlube it says 'Effort = Results'. I like that. And if it makes me an elitist numpty then I'll live with that :)

Associate
OP
So a quick update.

I took the advice given and didn't go for the NetGear Orbi. Instead I've bought an Ubiquiti Dream Machine, and I have a firm visiting mid-August to run 3 cables for Ubiquiti APs.

Hopefully that'll sort our network issues out :)

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom