MP510 2TB NVME - slow write speeds?

Soldato
Haven't managed to get around to trying BF4 again, will post update as soon as I do.

For many years I have had OS and select games on SSD without any issues regarding high write activity. Decided to splash out on a 2TB NVME so I didn't have to pick and choose games to go on it but then had this issue. I've done a lot of tidying and write activity is now at a very good level, even with many racing simulators and regular updates / mods. Now it only seems to be BF4 that is giving OTT use but guess other games that I haven't monitored may give similar results - will just have to keep an eye on it and if there's nothing that can be done, I'll put it on an old SSD for now or future NVME depending on the severity.

How much RAM do you have - maybe your getting excessive swap usage when you do memory heavy stuff?

Soldato
Haven't managed to get around to trying BF4 again, will post update as soon as I do.

For many years I have had OS and select games on SSD without any issues regarding high write activity. Decided to splash out on a 2TB NVME so I didn't have to pick and choose games to go on it but then had this issue. I've done a lot of tidying and write activity is now at a very good level, even with many racing simulators and regular updates / mods. Now it only seems to be BF4 that is giving OTT use but guess other games that I haven't monitored may give similar results - will just have to keep an eye on it and if there's nothing that can be done, I'll put it on an old SSD for now or future NVME depending on the severity.
The total writes you have is way beyond anything games/OS + updates would do unless you install/uninstall big games frequently, even then it would be difficult to acheave. Your writes for a drive that new are crazy, I have drives 4+ years old that have been used for writes heavy Database work and they have nowhere near that much writes.

Associate
OP
It is still a bit of a mystery where all the writes came from.

As a comparison, my previous 1TB SSD with around 7400 hours use has just over 7000GB host writes. In line with other people. The only difference between OS / progs / games installs is that I have a few extra games on the NVME...

Associate
OP
Had a check but don't have Image Garden installed - just basic driver and scanning over wifi application.

How did you monitor / determine amount of data written by a specific application @maklabouhlel ?

Associate
Had a check but don't have Image Garden installed - just basic driver and scanning over wifi application.

How did you monitor / determine amount of data written by a specific application @maklabouhlel ?
If I remember correctly, it was a process of deleting non-essential programs one by one until the writes came down. Once I deleted Image garden, the writes were back to normal levels and when I reinstalled it, the writes went back up. Other photo and video apps can cause excessive writes.

Youtube videos can cause high writes especially when left on autoplay:

• 144p: No bitrate provided by YouTube.
  • 240p: 225MB per hour
  • 360p: 315MB per hour
  • 480p: 562.5MB per hour
  • 720p at 30FPS: 1237.5MB (1.24GB) per hour
  • 720p at 60FPS: 1856.25MB (1.86GB) per hour
  • 1080p at 30FPS: 2.03GB per hour
  • 1080p at 60FPS: 3.04GB per hour
  • 1440p (2K) at 30FPS: 4.28GB per hour
  • 1440p (2K) at 60FPS: 6.08GB per hour
  • 2160p (4K) at 30FPS: 10.58GB per hour
  • 2160p (4K) at 60FPS: 15.98GB per hour

Associate
I had this problem with the MP510 240GB as a system drive. Something would write on it 100gb daily straight after a fresh install of W10. I tried to find out the cause but never did. Eventually, I reinstalled W10 and this reduced the writes to 20gb daily.

Associate
It is still a bit of a mystery where all the writes came from.

As a comparison, my previous 1TB SSD with around 7400 hours use has just over 7000GB host writes. In line with other people. The only difference between OS / progs / games installs is that I have a few extra games on the NVME...
I had a similar problem with whatsapp pc running 24/7. Daily writes were in excess of 100gb. Once I uninstalled, writes became acceptable.

Associate
OP
Thanks @maklabouhlel

I did have that installed and although I've managed to bring write activity down significantly I have deleted it as of tonight as I don't really use it much.

Been logging write activity and below is graph of where my average hourly writes are going, could be better but had over 100GB of writes just yesterday (bad day compared with the new normal) due to a few big game updates...

It's still a bit of a mystery as to why there was such huge write activity at one stage - never even noticed it!

Kx3yBz1.png

Last edited:
Soldato
your total writes are really high. average 50GB/hour while the PC is on.

something is going on at the background either some kind of extreme caching/page file swap process or you got a lot of torrents going on or back ground processes.

something occured to me, on these AMD boards, some of the M.2 is hooked directly to the CPU. so if CPU is busy doing stuff then it will impact the performance right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom