• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
That's what put me off buying a 2070.

I bought a 1070 because it compared +/- to a 980Ti.

The 2070 should have (IMO) been equivalent to a 1080Ti.

Which is where Nvidia of course shifted the stack and prices, having to buy a 2080 to get 1080Ti performance.

Nvidia lost a sale from me for that, and possibly I will remain on the 1070 for the foreseeable.

Yes and need to have this (mindest) domino affect from others too. With people still buying 2080+ at the silly prices, its not going to change. The radeon VII was another price point too far so not really much choice but if you own something similar in performance to a vega/1080, the likes of a 5700XT or 2070S is not a good enough leap. We are pretty much at August now so hopefully see what in store so we can eyeball where the next upgrade path will be.

Associate
I'm still surprised that it only took one GPU generation to erase so many people's memory on what price/performance looks like.

Nvidia will need to fleece consumers for many more GPU generations with logarithmic pricing before Turing is no longer the outlier is today.

Turing is currently an outlier in the history of generational performance increases at various price points.

It's like GPU consumers have the memory of goldfish or something.

right so Turing was an outlier.
so to fix it nvidia would have to release Ampere at a lower price or much higher performance.
for example if they give the same price/performance bump that was "acceptable" in previous years for Ampere then the Turing "outlier" pricing is still carried over into next gen and since I don't have a time machine I don't really care about the price/performance increments 5 years ago.
Once the prices go up they rarely come down.......

right so Turing was an outlier. oh wait goldfish memory:D.

Soldato
right so Turing was an outlier.
so to fix it nvidia would have to release Ampere at a lower price or much higher performance.
for example if they give the same price/performance bump that was "acceptable" in previous years for Ampere then the Turing "outlier" pricing is still carried over into next gen and since I don't have a time machine I don't really care about the price/performance increments 5 years ago.
Once the prices go up they rarely come down.......

right so Turing was an outlier. oh wait goldfish memory:D.

Right now, our GPU money doesn't perform as well it should.

I don't care if Nvidia makes a $5000 GPU or even a $10000 GPU. (If they perform)

But I also want what they make at normal price points to be meaningfully faster too.

Associate
... and how much power is that going to need? If rumours are true will potential buyers need a new PSU too? Really hope AMD step up this time, Nvidia need taking down a peg.

Soldato
This,. I am thinking of adding a 3090 to replace the two 2080ti, a LG CX48" screen and add a PS5 on my desk. Best of all worlds.

I'm quite hopeful that prices will normalise this generation (all the indicators are there) and looking forward to pushing the 48CX all the way at 4k. However, my plan B is to retain my 1080ti which still has 2 years warranty left, and pick up a new console instead of the GPU. Having used the CX for a few weeks it's more suited to 3rd person games anyway, and the console will have better HDR support.

I'll be disappointed, but happy enough to sit out another over priced generation. :)

Associate
Associate
I'm quite hopeful that prices will normalise this generation (all the indicators are there) and looking forward to pushing the 48CX all the way at 4k. However, my plan B is to retain my 1080ti which still has 2 years warranty left, and pick up a new console instead of the GPU. Having used the CX for a few weeks it's more suited to 3rd person games anyway, and the console will have better HDR support.

I'll be disappointed, but happy enough to sit out another over priced generation. :)

Are they? Tech just seems to be getting more expensive. Even Samsung now think it's ok to charge £1,400~ for a smartphone. I'd imagine that's more the limit now, but don't see those decreasing given buyers of the 2080ti have as good as approved their lunacy.

Soldato
Are they? Tech just seems to be getting more expensive. Even Samsung now think it's ok to charge £1,400~ for a smartphone. I'd imagine that's more the limit now, but don't see those decreasing given buyers of the 2080ti have as good as approved their lunacy.

Smartphone prices are irrelevant.

The indicators IMO are:

New console release; this is the biggest factor because the parity is much closer on initial release. 2 years from now the GPU will wipe the floor with the PS5, but not this year.

GPU mining is nowhere near the level it was when Turing released.

The Covid economic hit; there's simply less disposable income out there and the unemployment fallout will go nuclear in October with furlough ending.

Caporegime
OP
Yes and need to have this (mindest) domino affect from others too. With people still buying 2080+ at the silly prices, its not going to change. The radeon VII was another price point too far so not really much choice but if you own something similar in performance to a vega/1080, the likes of a 5700XT or 2070S is not a good enough leap. We are pretty much at August now so hopefully see what in store so we can eyeball where the next upgrade path will be.

Don't know about that, i went form a LC Vega 64 to a 2070 Super, and the performance increase is massive.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Don't know about that, i went form a LC Vega 64 to a 2070 Super, and the performance increase is massive.

It's not really massive, come on it's like 15/20 FPS increase and that is game based. Massive is me coming from an R9 290 to Vega 64 that was massive gains.

Have to concur with @shankly1985 its not a mammoth jump at all. Even using a % is in certain use cases. Certainly not worth shelling our £450-500 from a vega now way.

Back
Top Bottom