Project CARS 3

Soldato
Whilst I liked PC1 & PC2 adding a arcady mode of driving is imo an excellent feature. Way more people will be able to enjoy this game.

If they had simply added an "arcade mode" to PC2, I wouldn't have minded. But they *removed* some realistic features altogether, with no option for anyone to get them back.

Tires that are always at their optimal temp, no matter how badly you drive and abuse the rubber, is a step backward.

-And magic tires that transition into different tires for different weather *while you drive* is just comical.

Soldato
I believe PC3 is trying for a bigger audience. Sales of less sim racing style titles outpace sales of those that are focused on sim racing mainly/only.

Soldato
I suspect if PC3 sells and out sells the previous editions then it's clear that a more fun/arcady type of racing game is more profitable. These days profit is everything.
Always there are always alternatives for the sim crowd, and as much as I like both types, pick up and play is just more fun and for the majority I think PC3 is more geared up for.

Soldato
Depends more on where they pitch it, the longer it drags on without a steam page the closer the creep toward Epic. I fear that Namco could be looking for a lump sum with the studio/franchise hoping over to Codemasters. I can't help but think there's some kind of power play going on between all parties. Steam is integral in the first two titles, you'd imagine that development on PC3 was near finalised before Codemasters acquired SMS, thus that integration probably remains. Without any experience of the innerworkings of the EGS, is it possible to facilitate the connective nature of game/engine, or VR?

Stoked for the game, but i don't like the murky cloud surrounding the release.

Soldato
Looks like absolute turd this, I've no idea why it's using the PC3 name, it's obviously Grid 3. But the thing is, this is clearly not going after the same crowd as PC1 and PC2, a complete U-turn in their audience and will probably end up selling better than both PC1 and PC2. I'll be staying well clear of it that's for sure, what a way to alienate you're loyal Sim following from PC1 and PC2. If they going for the unrealistic handling, stupid close races, mach 3 speed impression, sideways into every corner action with a free to play mobile game hud then I'd rather play Forza or GT by a long shot. They've timed it well in that sense though, with no FM8 or GT7 anytime soon, they will make a killing from the casual arcade crowd, that's all they're clearly interested in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Again it's all about selling the product. PC1 did well. PC2 did the same but many people avoided it because it wasn't pick up & play ready.
If it's fun to play I'm OK with it. Lots of car sim titles available for those who prefer realism over ease of use.

Soldato
Lots of car sim titles available for those who prefer realism over ease of use.

There has to be more to it than that. They could have set "arcade mode" as the default when installed and left the realistic stuff as options.

PC2 has the *option* to turn off a lot of realistic stuff already, but I think they are on by default.

PC3 *could have* appealed to arcade gamers and sim drivers alike with options, but they seem to be intentionally alienating the sim crowd with with forced fakeness.

Soldato
What a difference a few years make, first I heard of this was launching Steam this afternoon, while I fell heavily down the rabbit hole of beta testing pCARS 1 and 2... Heck, I even bought a Logitech G29 in November 2018 to replace my dying/dead 2006(?) Fanatec wheel and it's barely seen the light of day, living in the box it arrived in! :eek:

My guess is they will get more profit from this arcade edition, I just hope the FFB is more user friendly than that of pCARS 2.

Soldato
There's making it more accessible/arcade then out right removing stuff that other big simcade titles actually have. I reckon that the title was in development before Codemasters have bought them, now codies want them to work on something else so they are just polishing want they have done and shoving it out the door.

Soldato
I’ll wait until it’s on a steam sale for now methinks... Only recently got ACC and AMS2 so those will keep me occupied.

looking forward to hearing what guys think about it though

Soldato
Laughable this game. dumbed down to the masses even further than f1 2020 and forza LOL.

Have you got early access or is that just your opinion from what you've read / watched?

The impression I got from the videos is that they've arcadified (I'm sure that's a real word :D ) it from PC2 but the actual ffb and handling is similar to PC2. So it's more arcade than sims like rf2,AC, iRacing etc. but more sim than GT and Forza. Maybe I was just hoping it was, I enjoyed the early Forza motorsports but they lost their appeal so a forza style game in terms of cars, customisation and tuning but with more sim handling sounds good to me.

Soldato
Have you got early access or is that just your opinion from what you've read / watched?

The impression I got from the videos is that they've arcadified (I'm sure that's a real word :D ) it from PC2 but the actual ffb and handling is similar to PC2. So it's more arcade than sims like rf2,AC, iRacing etc. but more sim than GT and Forza. Maybe I was just hoping it was, I enjoyed the early Forza motorsports but they lost their appeal so a forza style game in terms of cars, customisation and tuning but with more sim handling sounds good to me.
My opinion.

It looks more dumbed down then forza and GT.

Soldato
My opinion.

It looks more dumbed down then forza and GT.

In terms of sim-like features sure, but that doesn’t mean the driving itself is more dumbed down...

I can see what they are aiming for - if they can get rid of all the trivia of pit stops etc (that doesn’t mean bad by the way, some people very much enjoy trivia!), keep the cars permanently in their operating sweet spot, but retain a responsive and dynamic driving model then they will cut a nice niche for themselves. Potentially better from a business perspective than having to try, and no doubt fail, to win over hardcore sim enthusiasts but alienate the casual racer by making it over complicated.

I think it looks fun... will it replace ACC and RF2 for me? No way! Will I happily give it a blast in VR? Yessir!

Will be interesting to see how good the VR implementation is, PC2 still has one of the most performant and usable VR modes in racing imo.

Soldato
"keep the cars permanently in their operating sweet spot"

^ This would have been a good feature of an *optional* arcade mode, but it's not optional.

Associate
Will be picking this up at a reasonable price. As much as I like ACC sim racing, and the like. I also like to have more chilled arcade racing when the mood suits. It's a different type of fun to the more serious online sim racing.

Back
Top Bottom