• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This goes back to the original rumor that Nvidia is worried about what AMD is bringing to the table. If rdna 2 was slower than a 3070 Nvidia would already know that. And would not need a reason to release first.

Associate
The only disappointment I see thus far is the delay of it being ready to go. So its likely a November market - which I cant understand as originally they said it would be out (GPU's) before the consoles?

To be fair to AMD, they could in theory 'launch' the cards the day before the consoles and live up to this comment :D

Caporegime
We're just at that stage of the "game" where the sites are doubling back on their original "info" and hedging their bets either way. Seen over 20 years of this bs and it never changes.

Associate
The only disappointment I see thus far is the delay of it being ready to go. So its likely a November market - which I cant understand as originally they said it would be out (GPU's) before the consoles?
Maybe it's Covid related. I'm sure consoles are taking priority with available resources.
Pretty sure the original plan wouldn't have been to support two new consoles and release a new CPU range and GPUs at approximately the same time.

Caporegime

Don't recall them saying any time frame besides later this year.

Soldato
I'm subscribing to the theory that and don't want to steal the console's thunder. Therefore they release low to upper mid tier cards first via AIBs. Then at the right time, and with an eye on what Nvidia do, they release some top end cards themselves cutting out the AIBs and their leaks. Sounds plausible...

Soldato
I'm subscribing to the theory that and don't want to steal the console's thunder. Therefore they release low to upper mid tier cards first via AIBs. Then at the right time, and with an eye on what Nvidia do, they release some top end cards themselves cutting out the AIBs and their leaks. Sounds plausible...

Well I heard AMD is trying to release RDNA2 based dGPUs and consoles within a short time period,to show that they are in multiple gaming products.

Soldato
Has anyone ever though of what percentage Big Navi would need to be in order to compete with Ampere using the 5700XT as a reference?

For example:
What percentage would Big Navi need to be to handily beat a 2080ti?
What percentage of that is from the 5700xt?

Once you know this what percentage would Big Navi need to be, from a 5700 xt to be competitive to at least a 3080 based on it's rumored percentage from 2080ti?

Soldato
2080 Ti is 40% stronger than the 5700 XT. And how much stronger is the top Ampere likely to be over the 2080 Ti?
That's part of the problem. I don't honestly believe those rumors took boost clocks from the best OC cards into consideration. Just standard OEM card.
(At a guess)
So, using the best OC 2080ti...
3070 would be about 20% improvement
<3070 TI variant> would be about 25%
3080 would be about 30% improvement
3080 TI would be about 35% improvement until 3080ti OC cards come out then about 45%
3090...unknown at this time.

So, if 40% is the deficit Big Navi would need to be more then 5 FPS better on average...

Big Navi about 60% better then a 5700xt to handily beat a 2080ti OC, at it's highest boost.
Big Navi would need to be about 85% better then a 5700Xt to beat a 3070/3070TI.

From then on we are look at well over 100% to beat a 3080 and it's variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom