Curved Monitor Questions, and General Monitor Recommendation

Associate
Hi

I'm currently running a 2 monitor setup, with both been standard flat monitors. I'm now looking to extend my setup to include a 3rd monitor which got my considering whether or not a curved monitor would be good to have.

So a bit of info on my current setup:
  • 1x24" monitor (60Hz), mainly used for reference or Discord.
  • 1x24" monitor (240Hz, Asus PG258Q), my primary display and originally bought for playing FPS games etc.
  • GPU - 1080 Ti
The main games I play, though I do play quite a variety of other games, are as follows:
  • Eve Online
  • Escape from Tarkov
  • League of Legends
I tend to be around 2-3 ft from the monitor.

So I wanted to ask:
  • Do you think a curved monitor could be good for these types of games (I figure it could be great for Eve Online, the others I'm not so sure)?
  • Is there a minimum size that would be recommended? Initial thought was a minimum of 27", maybe 34", as I figured if the monitor is too small then its basically going to look like a standard flat monitor.
  • Any recommendations for monitors, budget £500-800, though I'm not totally fixed on that just setting myself a rough budget.
I was also thinking of maybe using monitor arms to allow them to be moved around a bit depending on what I'm playing. For example the PG258Q is a nice size for the likes of LoL, whereas an ultrawide monitor could be difficult to keep an eye on a mini-map.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Before I bought one, I always thought that ultrawide curved monitors might be a bit of a gimmick.

Having used one for 21 months, it absolutely isn't.

Really good for gaming and everything else.

I'm sure I could live with a flatscreen UW, but given the choice it would be curved, every time.

I do think curved would be wasted on a 16:9, however.

Associate
OP
Cool thats good to know, kind of matches up with what I was thinking in that some games I might be best using my good 16:9 monitor whereas others the UW curved would really shine. Like Eve where screenspace is particularly important, so many windows to keep open and look at. That's where my thought on monitor arms, or at least switching monitors was coming from, use the most appropriate monitor for the job.

Out of interest what size monitor do you have?

Soldato
Cool thats good to know, kind of matches up with what I was thinking in that some games I might be best using my good 16:9 monitor whereas others the UW curved would really shine. Like Eve where screenspace is particularly important, so many windows to keep open and look at. That's where my thought on monitor arms, or at least switching monitors was coming from, use the most appropriate monitor for the job.

Out of interest what size monitor do you have?

3440x1440 100Hz Gsync.

Love it and will never, ever, go back to 16:9.

It really does add a lot of immersion to games.

And being able to have two browsing windows viewable at the same time is cool too.

Would have loved one of these when I was programming.

Associate
OP
Nice thats good to know, I'm rather sold on them I think. Now to start searching through the various options available, I'm thinking 3440x1440, 144Hz, Gsync.

It'll also double up for work, software dev here, so as you say it'll be really nice for programming.

Soldato
Nice thats good to know, I'm rather sold on them I think. Now to start searching through the various options available, I'm thinking 3440x1440, 144Hz, Gsync.

It'll also double up for work, software dev here, so as you say it'll be really nice for programming.

I wouldn't buy a Gysnc only panel now.

Buy one that supports both Freesync and Gsync.

Associate
OP
Yea good point, get the Gsync compatible. Keep my options open for any future upgrades, and it's almost certainly going to save a bit of cash, thanks.

I'm thinking I'll go for one that's 34", as I think it'd start to get too big for the distance I am from it.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately none of my friends have one, so I'll just have to take a little risk I think, fingers crossed it'll all be fine I've never felt nauseous from related technologies like VR, 3D etc so hopefully its all Ok for me.

Anyone got any recommendations on monitors that meet the following spec?
27-34" Curved Ultrawide Monitor, 3440x1440, G-Sync (or compatible), 144Hz minimum, rough budget £500-800.

Soldato
Unfortunately none of my friends have one, so I'll just have to take a little risk I think, fingers crossed it'll all be fine I've never felt nauseous from related technologies like VR, 3D etc so hopefully its all Ok for me.

Anyone got any recommendations on monitors that meet the following spec?
27-34" Curved Ultrawide Monitor, 3440x1440, G-Sync (or compatible), 144Hz minimum, rough budget £500-800.

One thing you haven't mentioned is the panel technology.

IPS and VA seem to be the main ones, both have their pluses and minuses.

Mine is IPS and I'm really happy with it, don't know much about VA except it seems to display better blacks (happy with how mine displays them) and suffers from ghosting (none that I can see on mine).

Permabanned
Worst things about monitors is there are too many choices, lol. I don't know. I have had all sorts of monitors and the problem is there are pros and cons to them all. For me a lot comes down to what you do with the monitor. And not just gaming but what type of games. I play a lot of mmo's. UW is great for scenery, but it's not necessary for combat. With an mmo you really do need two monitors so you can easily switch between monitors and or watch a film at the same time as you are playing. At the moment I am running a 3440x1440 and a 2560x1080. The second one is UW but only because I didn't have another spare to use! BUT I find that the ppi of 3440x1440 is a bit too high for me. Tiny text strains my eyes and playing long hours makes them really sore. Although you can use Windows scaling, some games have issues with it and some don't allow you to scale the HUD either. I have been considering getting a 32" 2560x1440 to replace the 34" UW. But I don't know. I'm undecided at the moment. Certainly, though, if you ever go near mmo's I would recommend two monitors. Even if the second is a real cheap one, it's almost essential. Personally, I think curved is silly below 34". It actually feels necessary at 34" too. A flat screen just, well, the edges are too far away! However, it's not good if you do artwork of any description, because it distorts the picture. Do not get less than 1500R. Some Samsung for example are insanely curved and its just stupid.

Man of Honour
I'm all for a nice big curved screen, I had a 30" 4k flat pannel before and it was nice but then I upgraded both mine and my wifes machine to 34" Curved Ultra Wide screens and they have been really nice to work with and use. We have an MSI Optix VA and a Samsung 34" Quantum Dot thing both of them are lovely monitors.

Associate
OP
Yea as you say panel types is another thing to consider, it seems VA and IPS were originally slower response times which resulted in blurring when gaming but from what I can see that appears to have changed over the past year or two with both types having better response times often competing with TN.

Definitely require multiple monitors, got 3 (all 1920x1080) connected right now, need at least 2 for my job but I also use 2-3 while gaming.

I'll do a bit of searching through the store later on I think, reorganised by desk yesterday in preparation.

Back
Top Bottom