Mirror lock up mode

Soldato
OP
Turn the dial into Av, then control the aperture, and set ISO to 100. One of the top small buttons by the Top LCD, press the ISO one, then turn the dial to change from auto to 100.

Oh yeah I know that, I meant, why does putting it on a tripod mean using a lower ISO. But the penny has dropped! I guess you mean no camera shake, so I can use slower shutter speed which lets more light in and so lower ISO, right?

Soldato
OP
Yes, you can now open the shutter for hours !

I see. Very interesting! :) So let's say I'm taking the same photos of things in my kitchen at around 11pm. I'm on a tripod, I'm at base ISO and say, f4. What shutter speed might I use to get minimal noise on the image similar to base ISO during daylight on a faster shutter speed?
Anyway, I'll experiment with that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Best thing I ever bought for indoor photography was a hotshoe flash. Just bounce it off the ceiling and you get sharp pictures ever time.

That's one accessory I've not thought much about. I've always thought photos using flash look awful and harsh and flatten an image, but that's on my phone. I'm guessing bouncing it like you suggested won't make it look like a flash has been used? Can you recommend a particular one to buy?

Caporegime
Ok here's an example.

A police helicopter was randomly flying around today. This is from the camera with no processing at all. Looks ok until you zoom in and it's all fuzzy. Helicopter wasn't going that fast and I think I was able to keep track of it smoothly enough. This was at 300mm. Or maybe I'm expecting too much at 300mm? Photo was taken at 5.30pm, looks a bit grainy too yet it was bright daylight. I was at f5.6, 125 iso, shutter speed 1/1000th, 300mm. Should I have been able to zoom in and have a sharp photo of the helicopter? Is it just my settings wrong or my ability to track it?

I'll need to try it. According to the video I watched, you have to press the shutter twice. Once to lock up the mirror and again to take the shot. I don't how that would work with back button focus. I guess I would focus with the back button, then press the shutter once, then again.

You're never gonna get a sharp looking photo at a 100% crop, that's not really how camera sensors work. That above image is so cropped it's only 1.6mp which even 20 years ago would be crap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom