Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Associate
Was gonna do a full switch but may hold off and just continue to use it as my spending account.

Nationwide are really dragging their feet they have the resources to implement basic things like notifications etc but haven’t.

Soldato
Blaming coronavirus is a bit ridiculous. Not sure what’s causing the increased loss. Doing well on customer numbers.

As long as you’re within FSCS limits you’ll be fine.

Covid-19 is an easy to use excuse for a lot of companies.

I signed up to both Monzo and Starling, but something was always holding me back.

Soldato
OP
Yet to fully switch to Monzo, was going to switch once we were in the house but this is a bit worrying. Do still have a starling account but never used, i just preferred the Monzo app.

Will keep an eye on all of this

Soldato
I still think it's wise to keep some ready access cash in another bank in the off chance they do collapse. FSCS is all very well but you still have to wait for your money back which means you'll be stuck with nothing while you're waiting.

Soldato
I still think it's wise to keep some ready access cash in another bank in the off chance they do collapse. FSCS is all very well but you still have to wait for your money back which means you'll be stuck with nothing while you're waiting.

I think it's wise to do that in all circumstances, never trust all your money to one institution.

Soldato
Made a purchase 1month ago, and maybe 3 months ago, from OCUK.

Tried to pay via starling, declined, and that's after entering the pin code they text me, made 4 attempts in total. Certainly entered everything correctly etc

So i just paid via my Halifax account. Anyone else have this problem on OCUK with a starling card or just me?

FYI it works fine on amazon, steam, and a couple of other retailers.

Soldato

Tried to pay via starling, declined, and that's after entering the pin code they text me, made 4 attempts in total. Certainly entered everything correctly etc

So i just paid via my Halifax account. Anyone else have this problem on OCUK with a starling card or just me?

Me and one other poster had this problem. It's a Starling problem not an OCUK one.

Soldato
Yeah my OcUK orders never go through. But then OcUK payment portal is odd, I never see why they need reoccurring PayPal payment authorisation.

Soldato
What is Monzo's business model?

• Subscription to special accounts. Business/plus
  • Overdrafts
  • Referrals to 3rd parties

They seem to be making most of their money from interest and interchange fees on card transactions. Might make more money as they move into business accounts, loans and mortgage switching.

Soldato

I had a similar problem on another site trying to use Starling, when I selected MasterCard Debit as payment card it failed but when I changed the card type to just MasterCard it worked. I understand most retailers automatically select the payment card type for you when you start entering your card number now so no way round it if that's the case.

Soldato
The Bank of Scotland app has evolved really well since I started using Starling (about a year ago). They've added basic features like card freezing and that includes targeted like online only etc. A new feature they just added recently is a configurable lookahead at what is due out in the next "X" amount of days. The instant alerts have gotten much better, too.

I use both BOS and Starling as both now have features I like. I actually like having Starling as a buffer account and I also prefer the joint Starling account I have with the wife for household bills.

I've got a personal loan with BOS and it's brilliant flexible in terms of overpayment facility etc.. and the interest rate was very competitive. I had the cash in my hands within hours, and we're talking a 5 figure sum. If Starling got competitive with loans or mortgages then I'd use the service for sure.

I think I'm settled on Starling & BOS and I'll just use Monzo for random transactions where I'm happy to take a slight risk with security e.g. online purchase from companies I'm not 100% sure about.

Back
Top Bottom