PALIT NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER GREAT DEAL @ £449.99

Associate
Anybody using one of these with a 34" UW at 3440x1440? I want a new card for Flight Sim 2020 (no, I'm not waiting months for a mid range 30X card, I need one this month). Would a 2080S be overkill at that rez; also, what is Palit's aftersales like?

EDIT. Probably relevant that I'm upgrading from a 2015 980ti. Also pairing it with a 6700K I7 at 4.4ghz with 32gb

EDIT2: Bummed I missed out on the Death Stranding promo. Not interested remotely in Rainbow 6.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anybody using one of these with a 34" UW at 3440x1440? I want a new card for Flight Sim 2020 (no, I'm not waiting months for a mid range 30X card, I need one this month). Would a 2080S be overkill at that rez; also, what is Palit's aftersales like?

EDIT. Probably relevant that I'm upgrading from a 2015 980ti. Also pairing it with a 6700K I7 at 4.4ghz with 32gb

EDIT2: Bummed I missed out on the Death Stranding promo. Not interested remotely in Rainbow 6.
I do, that is a 2070S with a 6700K as well. Works great but the most demanding games I play atm are Shadow of War occasionally and Apex Legends but they're a good match imo.

Soldato
I use a 34" UW with a 2070S and for the most part my FPS are good although on ACC i have to set the FPS @60 or the game doesnt look sharp not sure if thats a settings issue though or a 2080S would have been a better option.

Soldato

watching the digital foundry vid, it seems a 2080ti is not enough for 4K ultra 60fps so I would hang on for 30 series

Associate
watching the digital foundry vid, it seems a 2080ti is not enough for 4K ultra 60fps so I would hang on for 30 series
I assumed that because I'm only running at around 5k pixels compared to 8k on a 4k screen, I might get away with it. I also saw the DF video and it did seem that even a 2080S might not be enough; I don't know I can justify the extra £240 or so for it. I have so many bad memories of playing FSX in single digit framerates that I need to get something that will at least give me 30fps..
If the 30x was on the horizon, I'd probably wait, but I can't see an affordable mid range 30x card being in good supply for 2-3 months personally.

Associate
How can anyone get excited about the same performance for the same price from over two years ago? :(
and given what is coming down the line.... but yeah I respect retailers have a business model just quite shocked tbh its take this long and still little movements on 2080Ti I mean crickey what is that actually worth, probably less than shares in British Airways tbh

Soldato
He’s not running at 4K though?

Right, so what would running a lesser card at a lower res mean? About the same thing...no 60fps. I know 30fps isn't that bad for flight sims but I'm not going to put up with it.

Why get involved with soon to be outdated tech when he'll have years of time to spend with MSFS?

Soldato
Are you dense dude? He said he can't hang on.

For me a 2080S would be a good shout with that res but a 2070S would suffice.

Wind your neck in keyboard warrior.

People can change their minds when presented with evidence. Me stating what I would do doesn't change anything. Buying a Turing card right now for a game that isn't even out for 2 weeks is a terrible move.

A 2070s is not going to be good enough for MSFS at that res, especially when 3rd party addons enter the mix.

Caporegime
Wind your neck in keyboard warrior.

People can change their minds when presented with evidence. Me stating what I would do doesn't change anything. Buying a Turing card right now for a game that isn't even out for 2 weeks is a terrible move.

A 2070s is not going to be good enough for MSFS at that res, especially when 3rd party addons enter the mix.
Do you know? Have you played it? And will third party add ons even be a thing in FS2020? He specifically said he wanted a card now so we advised him of his best option. He asked a question about that card and resolution and we answered. If anyone is a keyboard warrior here it’s you.

Edit to add, a 3440x1440p UW is around 60% of the pixels of 4K. A 2070s will be a good match.

Soldato
Do you know? Have you played it? And will third party add ons even be a thing in FS2020? He specifically said he wanted a card now so we advised him of his best option. He asked a question about that card and resolution and we answered. If anyone is a keyboard warrior here it’s you.

Edit to add, a 3440x1440p UW is around 60% of the pixels of 4K. A 2070s will be a good match.

Please explain how I am being a keyboard warrior? I have been insulted for stating my opinion.

I'll keep saying the same thing, waiting 5 years to upgrade your GPU with a card that is about to be superceded, for a sim people have been waiting 14 years for is something I strongly advise against, regardless of whether you're gaming at 720p or 4k.

Maybe I am dense though. I'll continue to wait and manage with my 1070.

Edit, no I haven't played it but I'd be amazed if 3rd party addon developers suddenly gave up. There's still lots of autogen scenery.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Me stating what I would do doesn't change anything.

Exactly, you're projecting your opinion and prejudices onto the OP when he specifically said that he wants the upgrade asap and doesn't want to wait. Try to take another's point of view occasionally and not be so blinkered and narrow minded :)

Associate
Please explain how I am being a keyboard warrior? I have been insulted for stating my opinion.
I'll keep saying the same thing, waiting 5 years to upgrade your GPU with a card that is about to be superceded, for a sim people have been waiting 14 years for is something I strongly advise against, regardless of whether you're gaming at 720p or 4k.
Maybe I am dense though. I'll continue to wait and manage with my 1070.

I take your POV onboard mate. But this is a head and heart thing. That never produces the logical course of action. My opinion is that with no hard details kicking around yet, together with the Covid effect, we won't be seeing mid range 30XX cards for months, not weeks. It's not logical (and I know it), but I want to be there when it's released, in with the hype, and not spending all my hours benchmarking trying to find a workable stable frame rate on a 5 year old card, because that's the abiding memory I seem to have of the original release of FSX all those years ago.

All above opinions gratefully received.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom