• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Yeah I would love the Ti or supers to be released but they normally follow quite a lot later and I wouldn't mind stepping off the vega to something fresh as I very rarely get GPUs on release year as they are overpriced.

Wasn't the 2080 Ti launched at the same time as everything else with Turing? And the 1650/1660 Tis?

It seems that "Ti" has gone from being a mid-cycle refresh to just another SKU. Which is probably why they did the "Super" thing last year...

Associate
Wasn't the 2080 Ti launched at the same time as everything else with Turing? And the 1650/1660 Tis?

It seems that "Ti" has gone from being a mid-cycle refresh to just another SKU. Which is probably why they did the "Super" thing last year...
You're correct. As I said in my post to Humbug, it could be the new norm. We'll soon find out.

Associate
The 2080ti was launched at the same time so that Nvidia had a card which was actually faster than the previous generation, otherwise the 2080 more or less matched the 1080ti for way more money, making a joke out of Turing.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Yeah I may be confused as so many released and some wernt even needed. Generally though the Ti came later, but when they did appear they were much better value in the existing stack. Last time round I guess it was the 'super' range.

Associate
Yes i think folk keep needing reminded that there is supposed to be 3 sku's in the "big navi" range.

We have the 5700xt now which is about? what?? 35% slower than a 2080ti - so...
A 6800 (xt or non) could be the lower end of the performance .....rumours.. we keep seeing, maybe 2080ti + a bit which would make sense. Its a new design, 35-45% on top of the 5700xt should be doable easy.

Then a 6900 which would maybe be 15% faster, then the xtx or whatever they intend to call it at the very top which is where some of the more ridicules performance numbers come from, say another 15% on top of the 6900.

Associate
Does anyone actually believe AMD will be able to compete at the top end against nvidia this year? CPU space they are awesome, GPU's tend to be hot running power hungry let downs. Can see a spectacular hype train derailment incoming

Associate
Does anyone actually believe AMD will be able to compete at the top end against nvidia this year? CPU space they are awesome, GPU's tend to be hot running power hungry let downs. Can see a spectacular hype train derailment incoming

I believe AMD has IPC increase, clock speed increase and access to 7nm plus process nodes so I believe they could do something very powerful the question is will they.

Hype train or not whatever we get in Q4 I’m 100% convinced its going to be better than Turing and thats a good thing sooner we move on from that generation the better.

Associate
Yes i believe they could compete, however its down to them whether they want to put the effort and money into the top end of the table where not a lot of the return comes from.

Associate
Annoyingly I want to believe but suspect AMD's top GPU will be 15% slower than top Ampere and cost 12% less or something equally daft. RTG and the GPU division seem to have had a brain fart 10 years ago which they still haven't recovered from. I want to be wrong but suspect as usual this is how it will finally pan out.

Associate

I'd say no, not a the top end. I was sceptical before the Coreteks and MLID rumours. I was uneasy about the hype eg double the CUs, double the performance. It reminds me of the Fury, Vega and Polaris launches.

BTW does anyone else think the thread title should be changed?
I wince whenever I see "Nvidia killer". It reminds me of the infamous "Ti killer" :p

Soldato
Does anyone actually believe AMD will be able to compete at the top end against nvidia this year?
Why do you believe they won't? How much of a performance increase is Ampere over Turing? RDNA 1 is mathematically capable of beating the 2080 Ti, and even if AMD only manage half of what they intend with RDNA 2's performance improvements it'll be trading blows with Ampere. Unless Nvidia are taking competition seriously and actually give Ampere a proper performance uplift.

AMD being able to compete with Nvidia this gen is entirely down to Nvidia. They've already let their hubris cost them 7nm manufacturing, and if they arrogantly dismiss AMD again and don't make Ampere a properly chunky upgrade then AMD could very well get at them. I know TFlops means very little in isolation, but are you honestly suggesting what we've seen in the XSX so far is all that AMD have? How much could AMD wring out of that alone if it was unshackled from a console's power limit? Smash 300W through those 52 CUs and see what happens.

If you're going to take AMD rumours with a pinch of salt then you should also do so with Nvidia. Nvidia rumours suggest 4x the ray tracing performance for Ampere. Nvidia rumours offer wildly different performance numbers. Nvidia rumours suggest they're actually pretty worried about Big Navi.

I think AMD will do it this time, but my sky isn't going to fall if they don't. There's being optimistic and there's being a fanboy. There's also being a realistic and being a hater. Tread these lines carefully, one is a stance for discussion, the other just makes one look like a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom