Declining attitude to law and order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If the maximum for manslaughter is life, then that is what they should have got, otherwise what is the point of having that sentence available.
This crime has to be near the top end of nastiness, so there should be no reason why they didn't get the absolute maximum the law allows.

Soldato
I don't really care who it is, merely that it's their purview as elected officials and have a responsibility to act if they feel the justice system is malfunctioning. Not that it will ever satisfy anyone, there'll always be folks asking for more, inventing more crimes to sentence, longer sentences, harsher punishments, torture and the kill-em-all types.

Now you've come across as an apologist.

The UK should bring in mandatory sentencing.

Soldato
They'll wear killing a policeman like a badge of honour, and will still be laughing on the day they get out.
Actually 'cop killers' do not get an easy ride. There will be convenient looking the other way inside as one of them trips on the stairs or slips in the shower. When they do get out I am sure that they will be on a few local lists for watching.

These are not hard men but they may think that they are currently.

Soldato
Actually 'cop killers' do not get an easy ride. There will be convenient looking the other way inside as one of them trips on the stairs or slips in the shower. When they do get out I am sure that they will be on a few local lists for watching.

Good, nothing would make me happier than knowing the next decade of their miserable existance is ******* horrible.
The family of the young policeman they killed will still be suffering long after they are released.

Caporegime
Can't just hand out maximum sentences for the sake of it. The guidelines don't exist for some and not others, I imagine it would draw criticism about the legitimacy of the process if they just ignored it, which may affect other cases (though i'm not a lawyer, so I don't know about the answer to that). I don't want to appear like an apologist with regard to these criminals, but as far as i'm concerned this is a matter for legislature.

Well you can give them max life for the crime of manslaughter plus additional years for theft, dangerous driving, resisting arrest.

Really throw the book at them.

And use consecutive sentencing to max it out.

Caporegime
Make trespass a criminal offence, enforce it with an iron will and the traveller problem is over in 6 months.

Well not true the police willfully neglect to enforce the law against them antway.

Screenshot-20200802-113645-Chrome.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...p-travellers-destroying-historic-brewery.html

Soldato

A cheeky wink and a smile from the staff as their meals are handed over should bring them down a peg or two after a few months.

Commissario
Now you've come across as an apologist.

The UK should bring in mandatory sentencing.

I hope to hell that the UK doesn't bring in mandatory sentencing, as it tends to take a one size fits all approach which removes any ability for the Judge to look at the circumstances of the case, and it's because we recognise that cases have different circumstances that we have the sentencing guidelines which take things into account.

Next up you'll be saying we should do that wonderful 3 strikes thing that the US loves/loved, where if you commit any 3 crimes you spend life behind bars, because getting caught shoplifting food/sweets ireally requires a life sentence.

Caporegime
Next up you'll be saying we should do that wonderful 3 strikes thing that the US loves/loved, where if you commit any 3 crimes you spend life behind bars, because getting caught shoplifting food/sweets ireally requires a life sentence.

Then don't steal stupid things? Especially not 3 times. It's not like they have to commit crimes. I mean, heck, I find it really easy to not commit crimes. I'm not committing any crimes right now and it feels great!

Soldato
I hope to hell that the UK doesn't bring in mandatory sentencing, as it tends to take a one size fits all approach which removes any ability for the Judge to look at the circumstances of the case, and it's because we recognise that cases have different circumstances that we have the sentencing guidelines which take things into account.

The ability's of most judges in the UK are shockingly bad.

What are you going on about?
One knows the law of the country you live. And what happens if you break it.

Caporegime
The ability's of most judges in the UK are shockingly bad.

What are you going on about?
One knows the law of the country you live. And what happens if you break it.

How have you come to the decision that the abilities of 'most' judges in the UK are 'shockingly bad'? What metric are you using?

I guess you must be a lawyer?

Caporegime
Also things like remorse or even basic respect completely lacking.

They need at least an 18 stretch to understand the crime a little better.

Well it's a good thing that Category A (Gross Negligence) Manslaughter allow's for 18 years, assuming a prosecution can't reasonably appeal and prove that the driver ought to have known what was going on, in which case it'd be a maximum of 24 years. Though I'm not too sure about the particulars, I can't find the judgement from searching.

A part of me wonders whether this is on purpose to drub up public displeasure and reduce the ability of the defendants to successfully appeal.

Last edited:

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Then don't steal stupid things? Especially not 3 times. It's not like they have to commit crimes. I mean, heck, I find it really easy to not commit crimes. I'm not committing any crimes right now and it feels great!

Indeed, it is pretty simple. There may be some mitigating factors that need to be considered (coercion, poverty etc) but when you have some offenders having 10+ offences/convictions for theft, robbery, drug dealing etc life is probably best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom