Poll: British Grand Prix 2020, Silverstone - Race 4/?

Rate the 2020 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/24428367

Bet he (Lewis) feels differently about dominance now.

To be fair, he's also quoted in that article:

Fans have repeatedly booed the German as he celebrated victories on the podium, but Hamilton, who has fallen to fourth in the standings, insists the Red Bull driver deserves to win the title.

"He has driven well all year," said the 28-year-old. "I've just looked at his points and he has had second, first, second, first all year. He's done the perfect job and he deserves it."

What hasn't aged so well is what Horner said (of Vettel):

And Red Bull team principal Christian Horner believes he deserves to be ranked alongside the greatest drivers of all time.

"He has to be right up there - he has to be," said Horner.

"The level he is performing at is unbelievable in many respects.

"We know Mark [Webber, Red Bull team-mate] is a very talented and quick racing driver and matching him against that, he has been hugely impressive.

"What has been really impressive is he has continued to grow and improve as he has gained more experience, and to have won the ratio of races he has is remarkable."

Last edited:
Soldato
I think Sunday's shenanigans put Albon in a different light. I'm beginning to think that those with whom he tangled in earlier races - Hamilton in particular - may have been treated unfairly.

Caporegime
I think Sunday's shenanigans put Albon in a different light. I'm beginning to think that those with whom he tangled in earlier races - Hamilton in particular - may have been treated unfairly.

I still don't think Albon deserved to be penalised for that. In fact, watching it again I think it's clearly Magnussen's fault rather than a racing incident:

Albon is pretty clearly alongside KMag on the inside of the corner and KMag cuts in giving him no space, the closest comparison is to Brazil 2019 but Albon is much further alongside KMag than Hamilton was alongside him in Brazil. I still think Hamilton was unfairly treated in Austria.

Soldato
I get the impression Kimi's had enough and is going to retire after this year. A solid 75% of all his team radio transcript from the last couple of races have had him swearing and being frustrated. There's a video on YT of him in qualifying yelling at his engineer (which can be understood as the engineer changed his mind about pitting as Kimi was in the pitlane). I won't link it as it has lots of swearing, but 'Raikkonen furious at his engineer' will do it.

It's got to be soul destroying as a sportsman still feeling the need to compete, but having an absolute dog of a car to do it in. He'd be better off back in WRC or WEC, but I don't think endurance racing is his thing.

Never liked him, if I’d been his engineer I’d have brayed him with a big torque wrench.

Caporegime
Who the hell rated this 6 or 7?!

You know you can click on the number of votes next to each rating and see, right?

I thought it was a good race overall. Interesting at the start, mediocre-but-not-terrible through the middle section (there's was plenty going on down the field), and with a chaotic and exciting finish. 7/10 for me. I'm really enjoying this season, we haven't had a dud race so far.

Caporegime
I get the impression Kimi's had enough and is going to retire after this year.

I think he probably should. The first half of last season, and the last part of the season before after he knew he was going, he seemed to get his old spark back but this season he seems to have lost it completely. Time to go. Hopefully, Schwartzman can get his seat.

Man of Honour
How on earth should Albon get penalised for that?! Mag went wide, Albon just stuck to the racing line.

Mag was correcting a mistake. Albon should have held back. Mag was inevitably going to move back - there wasn’t much else he could do at that speed around that corner. You can’t overtake there. It was Albon’s usual impatience.

Soldato
How on earth should Albon get penalised for that?! Mag went wide, Albon just stuck to the racing line.

I'm sticking my initial view of this too, Kmag left a big door open after his mistake which lead to him going wide and left, Albon rightly walked through the door and Kmag was stupid enough to try and get through that door at the same time. Kmag should have taken his medicine and stayed on the outside line, he had acres of track tarmac to his left, which meant he would have lost a position but still been in the race.

Albon looked to stay on his inside line, Kmag turned into him and caused the racing incident collision... IMO.

Soldato
Mag was correcting a mistake. Albon should have held back. Mag was inevitably going to move back - there wasn’t much else he could do at that speed around that corner. You can’t overtake there. It was Albon’s usual impatience.

Yeah, Brundle said as much. It's surprising the number of people on here that think the are better informed than the race stewards, one of whom is always a vastly experienced driver, and have telemetry, and every camera angle available to look at the incident. Sometimes it looks like they've made poor decisions, but there will always be more evidence to guide them than we have access to.

To win back trust, perhaps they ought to do a 15-20 min briefing each race going over past decisions and the evidence and the reason. It might help with the engagement at bit more.

Soldato
Who the hell rated this 6 or 7?!

A 5 is a mediocre race and this was for the most part. A foregone conclusion at the front but some action in the midfield. Then it also had a little excitement at the beginning and a lot at the end. So bumps it up a little over mediocre.

Regarding the Albon incident, it wasn’t too dissimilar to the Albon / Hamilton in Austria so for consistency I think they had to penalise Hamilton. Though in reality, I think they were both racing incidents.

Soldato
Voted a 5. Average race and some good midfield action but it was the last few laps which really spiced it up.

Next week is going to be very important for Bottas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom