Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I think the biggest risk is from Apple pay et al. I occasionally use my visa, but mostly use my (and see people using their) mobile phone for payments.

I think it's a good play though, so as above, keep the faith!

Neither mobile payments have taken off yet. sure you can pay at the point of sole in many places, and a few websites, but whilst I haven't seen the stats, anecdotally it seems like a tiny segment of society and usually for low value goods. Outside of the big industrialised countries and even inside some of them (Germany), it's a non-starter. I'm sure it will get there in time, but it seems to be long term as in 10-15 years, rather than in the next 5. The stats say otherwise (on course for 10% by 2025) but I remain skeptical.

I see Paypal as more of a competitor to VISA and Mastercard at least online.

Speaking of Apple earlier, nice little rise today. I'm guessing on results from last week when the markets were in free fall. There is also news of share split which doesn't thrill me. Apparently to make the stock more accessible to investors. More likely they've seen all the COVID cheque investors, and their current investors have been on at them to split, so these sit at home investors buy in and drive the price up.

Soldato
Neither mobile payments have taken off yet. sure you can pay at the point of sole in many places, and a few websites, but whilst I haven't seen the stats, anecdotally it seems like a tiny segment of society and usually for low value goods. Outside of the big industrialised countries and even inside some of them (Germany), it's a non-starter. I'm sure it will get there in time, but it seems to be long term as in 10-15 years, rather than in the next 5. The stats say otherwise (on course for 10% by 2025) but I remain skeptical.

Trying not to take it too far off topic :)

From the stats I have seen, Covid has actually changed this trend on he business side. Mobile Payments (Apple and Google Pay) use jumped c300% vs Feb 2020, c900% vs Dec 2019. It would likely be a similar story on the personal side - although I can't fully confirm it as I haven't got the stats :)

No doubt as other trends change, I see contactless limits increasing, likewise with the use of Mobile payments. That's on the assumption that acquiring technology slightly changes to help the journey :)

I see VISA and Mastercard being a safe place for money right now (not that I have any interest/money in them). If you got in at the initial drop at the start of Covid, particularly MC, you're winning - I was foolish enough to add them to my "Watchlist" and didn't buy...as I did for Amazon and AMD - I'm the fool.

Last edited:
Soldato
True and the other side is that with Apply Pay/Google Pay etc. You still need the ViSA/MC in the background.

I don’t really see these payment systems linking directly to each individual bank. They’re implemented for convenience rather than income and the Cost/work involved to change that would be huge.

Associate
Yeah just punt £10k on it, its going down but then you can say its a LTH and feel better about it :)

Reality is no, they have nothing positive coming if they need 80% sales to break even and they couldn't even hit that on the mad lockdown end rush, its going to get worse now local lockdowns are coming and this is reflected in the share price.

Tell me, whos gagging to leave there house now to get a greggs? its something you buy when out on the high street (which is pretty much dead now - was before and now a new audience have realised the ease of online shopping and people are WFH so don't need a cheap lunchtime hit when they can make it at home)

Nearly up 10% today so clearly some people are. Congrats to those who stuck out the fall!!

Caporegime
Nearly up 10% today so clearly some people are. Congrats to those who stuck out the fall!!

Its still only 1300, it was being talked about at 1600-1650. My SL closed at 1500, long way to go yet as it took a battering last few days and prob oversold a bit and FTSE been helped by BP share price lift today.

Soldato
Just catching up on the day's news - seems to have been a good one.

Haven't logged into my investment account for a week now as not really in a position to make many changes. Have a bit of dry powder to take a new position or two if anything catches my eye, but pretty comfortable with how things are set up presently. Could average down but don't want to be overweight just because they seem like bargains.

I am curious to read Aviva results when they arrive. Will the new CEO have justified her enormous salary, or is the COVID situation worse than feared? If there is a subsequent drop, I really think this will represent a good buying opportunity - but in this market, anything is possible.

Diageo has been curious. Not one for me.

Soldato
It's still lower than it was about 8 weeks ago :p

Oh come on! :D there's been plenty of chance to get in at a low price! A small fortune could have been made trading this the last few months. I, however, didn't take the chance other than the first swing from 21-27 ish. Hindsight, eh!

Caporegime
Just catching up on the day's news - seems to have been a good one.

Haven't logged into my investment account for a week now as not really in a position to make many changes. Have a bit of dry powder to take a new position or two if anything catches my eye, but pretty comfortable with how things are set up presently. Could average down but don't want to be overweight just because they seem like bargains.

I am curious to read Aviva results when they arrive. Will the new CEO have justified her enormous salary, or is the COVID situation worse than feared? If there is a subsequent drop, I really think this will represent a good buying opportunity - but in this market, anything is possible.

Diageo has been curious. Not one for me.

Obviously as I picked AV it's going to be amazing and jump 50pc on the day..

/sarcasm

Soldato
Av was up today. Usu means it's going down on results day

In very tempted to do something crazy and get some EZJ

I've been monitoring IAG and EZJ for a good time to get in. I don't think we're at rock bottoms for airlines, pretty obvious that there will be big struggles in the coming 18 months before traveling starts to pick up.

Caporegime
I've been monitoring IAG and EZJ for a good time to get in. I don't think we're at rock bottoms for airlines, pretty obvious that there will be big struggles in the coming 18 months before traveling starts to pick up.

Is hard to know. Very hard.
Main difficulty for me is what's been priced in. I know it's impossible to know, but I was far more confident going into AV which so far had paid off. Excited for tomorrows trading update.

Tempted to put some into EZJ.
Here's my dodgy justification..

Most people losing their jobs will be aware of that now. Or aware enough to not book a holiday
Therefore if numbers are going up this trend 'might' continue?

Obviously big ones are :
Further international lockdowns.. But don't think we can afford anymore in Europe

Economic devastation: if this happened probably won't matter if I lose out

Mistic Meg would be proud

Soldato
Is hard to know. Very hard.
Main difficulty for me is what's been priced in. I know it's impossible to know, but I was far more confident going into AV which so far had paid off. Excited for tomorrows trading update.

Tempted to put some into EZJ.
Here's my dodgy justification..

Most people losing their jobs will be aware of that now. Or aware enough to not book a holiday
Therefore if numbers are going up this trend 'might' continue?

Obviously big ones are :
Further international lockdowns.. But don't think we can afford anymore in Europe

Economic devastation: if this happened probably won't matter if I lose out

Mistic Meg would be proud

I think there's an expectation of the upwards trend that has kept maintaining the value of airlines. In my opinion, what's priced in is the expectation that this trend will continue, we'll see everything going back to place slowly.

There might be a short term opportunity though, news of a working vaccine would probably do well for the travel industry.

Back
Top Bottom