• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
Put my PL to max (30%) and dropped the volts to 1.125 @LtMatt and seems solid, can I go lower? Temps in the high 60's last night gaming (caseless til later)

The default clock is 2100 too which I gather is decent but I think it's trying to boost too hard at times (2060/2070) and locking up. Dropped it to 2075 and not had a problem since. Hovering about 2030 atm.

Caporegime
Put my PL to max (30%) and dropped the volts to 1.125 @LtMatt and seems solid, can I go lower? Temps in the high 60's last night gaming (caseless til later)

The default clock is 2100 too which I gather is decent but I think it's trying to boost too hard at times (2060/2070) and locking up. Dropped it to 2075 and not had a problem since. Hovering about 2030 atm.
Decent. I suspect you can go lower, try 1.100v.

Here are my stable settings.
rdan45p.png

This results in a core clock around 2005-2015Mhz (for some reason this sample falls around 75Mhz below whatever i set in Radeon Software which is not ideal - typically its around 50Mhz lower for all my other samples), voltage is as low as it can go any lower and it crashes. Voltage is at 1.087v in the overlay OSD. GPU temp is around 58-60c, junction around 72-74c.

Associate
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but this thread is 150 pages long and I am not going through it.
  • I know what the max Junction Temps for a 5700xt is 110C, but what is the recommended junction range for long term usage? I am not mining, only playing games. So it's only going to be hitting these temps at most 5-10 hours a week.
  • Second, what is the max (and recommended range) for Core temps?
Currently with my Sapphire Pulse 5700xt (underclocked to 1900 and undervolted to 1080mv), I get 74C core and 83-90C junction during extended gaming sessions. Can I adjust the fan curve a bit less aggressively, allow the temps to raise and the moderate fan noise to decrease?

Soldato
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but this thread is 150 pages long and I am not going through it.
  • I know what the max Junction Temps for a 5700xt is 110C, but what is the recommended junction range for long term usage? I am not mining, only playing games. So it's only going to be hitting these temps at most 5-10 hours a week.
Currently with my Sapphire Pulse 5700xt (underclocked to 1900 and undervolted to 1080mv), I get 74C core and 83-90C junction during extended gaming sessions. Can I adjust the fan curve a bit less aggressively, allow the temps to raise and the moderate fan noise to decrease?

For me personally I like sub 90C minmum on the junction and around sub 75 on the core ish for 24/7 use etc. The lower the better, mine maxes junction now around 79C in games after an hour of gaming using 95% of the GPU if it's a normal night or when we had them two days heat wave it did get into the 80s. 110C imho is ridiclous and can only shorten the life of the card and nowadays the way things are made out of sticky tape, I'd never wanna be gaming close to those temps!

Caporegime
Anything below 110c is fine and won’t shorten the life of the GPU, but running it at a lower temperature certainly is preferable.

If it hits 110c, clock speed and voltage are automatically reduced to keep the temperature at or below 110c.

For me personally I like sub 90C minmum on the junction and around sub 75 on the core ish for 24/7 use etc. The lower the better, mine maxes junction now around 79C in games after an hour of gaming using 95% of the GPU if it's a normal night or when we had them two days heat wave it did get into the 80s. 110C imho is ridiclous and can only shorten the life of the card and nowadays the way things are made out of sticky tape, I'd never wanna be gaming close to those temps!
Don’t know what you’re worrying about. ;)

Associate
There is a long debate on the 110 figure. I think AMD was leaning a bit too much on that and may have given the wrong impression. Of course running junction temperature above 100 deg C is not great and it won't help your performance or lifespan. Whether it's enough to make a noticeable imapact on lifespan is also questionable.

Also don't touch the back of the core during full load!

I usually adjust the fan curve to keep junction temps before 95 at all costs. That is just my take tho.

Soldato
I have noticed that Auto GPU OC offers the highest GPU Boost while still keeping temps low with 20.7.2 (vs manual). I don't recall this with previous drivers. The only thing is I can't increase the Vram speed. But I do notice a nice consistent boost in fps.

(Nitro)

Soldato
Hahaha, well everyone to their own, but AMD needed clock speeds, and for clock speeds they need voltage and for that generates too much heat, no way on earth would you design a card to be running at a maximum of 110C imho, just bcecause it can doesn't mean it should lol, if you did then quite frankly it's a poor design when we can see nVidia can do better performance for less heat... however that's by the by... for me, 110C is way too high and generates more heat in your loop or PC case... so for me, if you wanna run standard clocks just devolt the bugger straight away... and have a happier case and world lol and don't contribute to global warming hahaha

Interestingly, I'd put a wager to say that the next gen AMD won't go above 90C junction!!!

Associate
^^^ absolutely. They are pushing the card to the max but tbh I love it... getting the most out of it even if it means heating it to oblivion.

But can't say about NVIDIA. Just don't understand or like their pricing. Like if it wasn't for AMD I doubt we'd get the super cards at the prices they are today.

Soldato
^^^ absolutely. They are pushing the card to the max but tbh I love it... getting the most out of it even if it means heating it to oblivion.

But can't say about NVIDIA. Just don't understand or like their pricing. Like if it wasn't for AMD I doubt we'd get the super cards at the prices they are today.
100% agree fella, for me, nvidia like Intel have sat and rested feet up and commanded the whole industry and it'll get worse with ARM etc with nVidia.

However, I'm praying that AMD can do the impossible and do what they're doing to Intel right now and have something truly competative for the first time since the 295X2... would be ace as I love AMD becuase valure for money they're on the mark... but we shall see... fingers crossed and all that!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hahaha, well everyone to their own, but AMD needed clock speeds, and for clock speeds they need voltage and for that generates too much heat, no way on earth would you design a card to be running at a maximum of 110C imho, just bcecause it can doesn't mean it should lol, if you did then quite frankly it's a poor design when we can see nVidia can do better performance for less heat... however that's by the by... for me, 110C is way too high and generates more heat in your loop or PC case... so for me, if you wanna run standard clocks just devolt the bugger straight away... and have a happier case and world lol and don't contribute to global warming hahaha

Interestingly, I'd put a wager to say that the next gen AMD won't go above 90C junction!!!

Interesting theories guys.

what do you think the junction temperate was for these reference air cooled AMD GPUs?
7970, 290X, 7990, Vega 64, Radeon VII?

I think you’d be surprised.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom