Spec me a van £10k

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
My brother runs a local furniture business and as part of that he collects/delivers some big items. He has asked me for some help with buying a van with a budget of £10k. He sent this image to give me an idea of the size he is looking at.

YfvxsJFl.jpg

Specific models / engines would be appreciated and anything to look out for.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I'd spend 3k on a beat up LWB sprinter or Transit, then you'd have no worries fitting anything in, no worries if you banged a door loading thing, no worries about the extra 7k you kept in your pocket.

However, that's me.

Vitos are good, but smaller than that Renault Trafic iirc. I think best of the bunch is the transit custom, but the vivaro was quite popular. The Boxers have much wider loading bays and more practical space, however the rear wheel position is terrible so test drive first.

Soldato
Just thought I would chip in here, we had to buy a Luton last year and I don’t think there are any decent vans on the market, only ones that are less bad than others.

The last decent one was the hi ace

NVP

NVP

Soldato
First mistake. Vans are gumtree, Facebook or eBay only, otherwise you won't get a bargain. For many businesses the van is an asset which they sell quickly to pay debt so there's always a lot of bargains out there. Flipping vans is decent side money :)

In terms of purchasing, check the condition in person and pay out for an RAC inspection if you're not competent looking at engines :)

Soldato
I don't know what sort of furniture he deals with but from my experience as a porter and driver for an antique shop I'd think about going up a size. The trouble with vivaros and vans of that size is can't stand up in them. It makes loading something like a heavy dining table tricky. If you jump to a sprinter, ducato or a full fat transit it's easier to load and the extra heigh gives you much more space. Don't forget to get plenty of blankets, straps and a dolly.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Definitely what he said ^

It's why LWB Sprinters are always my first suggestion regardless of what van someone wants haha :D

Soldato
Thanks for the useful insight.

The Transit custom looks pretty decent e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-For...163099?hash=item48ea56335b:g:drwAAOSwZYhfJkPN

Why are you looking at small vans? I've got a transit and it will just about fit a 3 seater and a 2 seater when someone has asked me to move one for them. They will ha e to be stacked on top of each other too.

You need a big box van

Edit: something like this (just the first one that came up on eBay) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163844032494

Soldato
Transit Customs are smaller than the standard Transit so be aware of that. A medium/ high roof van will help immensely. Unless the items are very heavy, anything that pumps out about 100bhp and above will be fine.

Caporegime
Mate of mine runs a second hand furniture shop and has a transit Luton (box van) with tail lift, all you’ll need and the tail lift makes loading a doddle, it’s a van so no problem parking it in a street (which is what he does) It’s a van not an hgv, forget about worrying about parking it.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Mate of mine runs a second hand furniture shop and has a transit Luton (box van) with tail lift, all you’ll need and the tail lift makes loading a doddle, it’s a van so no problem parking it in a street (which is what he does) It’s a van not an hgv, forget about worrying about parking it.

He definitely doesn't want something as big a Luton. He doesn't sell huge items like 7ft bookcases or beds/sofas. Right now he is borrowing my dads van which is smaller than a transit custom (not sure what make/model it is). Delivering a table and 6 chairs would be the sort of thing he would use it for.

In terms of Transit Custom, anything to look for?

How does this look? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007131168887?maximum-mileage=90000&sort=distance&model=TRANSIT CUSTOM&make=FORD&radius=1500&supplied-price-to=9000&advertising-location=at_vans&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=mk22lq&page=1
Most seem to about 80-100k miles in this price.

Caporegime
He definitely doesn't want something as big a Luton. He doesn't sell huge items like 7ft bookcases or beds/sofas. Right now he is borrowing my dads van which is smaller than a transit custom (not sure what make/model it is). Delivering a table and 6 chairs would be the sort of thing he would use it for.

In terms of Transit Custom, anything to look for?

How does this look? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007131168887?maximum-mileage=90000&sort=distance&model=TRANSIT CUSTOM&make=FORD&radius=1500&supplied-price-to=9000&advertising-location=at_vans&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=mk22lq&page=1
Most seem to about 80-100k miles in this price.
Fair enough, with you saying furniture business I was picturing sofas, beds etc which would be a pain to use a standard van for, the tail lift on a Luton/box van has advantages though.

As for things to look for, find a really clean one i.e. one that hasn’t been used by a builder, most of whom from my observations of them have no idea as to how much weight it’s designed / legal to carry as opposed to how much will physically fit....

Ex direct from the Royal Mail / Parcelforce vehicle’s can be a very good shout, the majority carry bulk as opposed to weight (weight being the factor) and are religiously maintained regardless of cost.

This logic needs explaining to a simpleton like myself please
What I say, it’s a van at the end of the day it’s not going to take up much more space than a standard transit, yes it’s wider but not massively so.

Back
Top Bottom