RC cars

Associate
@Yrkoon Those LEDs look simpler and better than the ones that came with the Land Rover Tamiya kit. Do they just plug into the ESC?

Looks like Monster Truck Madness with those two.

Here is the latest...

44mV7QM.jpg

Soldato
is that a king cab??????? 6 wd????? not sure why u have stuff that is like butter but also not butter :p

nah m8 other end of they lights just plug into channel 3 on the rx no light unit required or any other shennanigans and they slotted nice and tight into the lunches light parts on the chrome bit that has fake lights, dad says they clicked on his pumpkin but i have em in nice and tight on lunchie with no clicks :)

just a red and black cable positive and negative, no control though if i turn model on the lights are on, 3 channel rx 3rd channel is power for em and im drunk again :)

edit: thinking of getting red leds for back and just splicing the cables together :)

teu1 light unit? got one on my tt-01, tamiya want over 50 quid for one now used to be 20, thats why i went basic and cheap :)

edit: yellow school bus?

edit: oops i screwed up with name of tamiya light unit https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-led-light-unit-tlu-01/rc-car-products/31651

just no so pricey they used to be 20 quid, i would hate to see what they would charge for something with working indicators and brake lights and indicators like my thunder tiger drifter has also fog lights :p

tamiya are wrong in the head asking for that price.......

Last edited:
Associate
@Yrkoon Sorry I meant do they plug straight into the receiver, I get the two little black boxes mixed up!

That's the lighting set that came with the Land Rover. I suppose it is capable of more complex lighting for other vehicles like you say. But for head lights and rear lights it feels too much. Quite a few additional wires, connections and another black box to find a place for and keep tidy.

Yes it is a King Yellow.
ozuotVn.jpg Zo70Qs3.jpg
The margarine serves two purposes. It holds all the self tapping screws securely for each step of the assembly instructions, I place them tip side into the spread for easy access when needed. Then the slippery tips screw much more easily into the fresh plastic, like a hot knife through .... butter. Works really well with the harder plastic - ABS?

Soldato
@Yrkoon Sorry I meant do they plug straight into the receiver, I get the two little black boxes mixed up!

That's the lighting set that came with the Land Rover. I suppose it is capable of more complex lighting for other vehicles like you say. But for head lights and rear lights it feels too much. Quite a few additional wires, connections and another black box to find a place for and keep tidy.

Yes it is a King Yellow.
ozuotVn.jpg Zo70Qs3.jpg
The margarine serves two purposes. It holds all the self tapping screws securely for each step of the assembly instructions, I place them tip side into the spread for easy access when needed. Then the slippery tips screw much more easily into the fresh plastic, like a hot knife through .... butter. Works really well with the harder plastic - ABS?

ah good tip about the buttery stuff, awesome job on the shell m8, bet that model will be a lot of fun to drive :D

Associate
@Yrkoon Sorry, that was a bad joke about the margarine :rolleyes:. It just has odds and sods in it, though I bet it could work.... especially if it wasn't too soft... hmmm

Hopefully will be good. I'm going for four wheel steering and fully ball raced.
0I1BJEK.jpg

Associate
Yes, sorry, it was a poor gag and I'm easily amused.

I am finding this one a bit strange. So far it is just a big long gear box that doesn't feel like anything I've made or used in the past. Sometimes takes me a while to make sure which end is the front.

lXxjW9o.jpg
There's a lot if gears in there... I've got through two tubs of 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' just to grease them up!

Soldato
Yes, sorry, it was a poor gag and I'm easily amused.

I am finding this one a bit strange. So far it is just a big long gear box that doesn't feel like anything I've made or used in the past. Sometimes takes me a while to make sure which end is the front.

lXxjW9o.jpg
There's a lot if gears in there... I've got through two tubs of 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' just to grease them up!

wow that does like a massive gear box, coming along nicely :)

QUICK UPDATE:

Sorry I've not posted many updates on the build, Got round to spraying it over the weekend and managed to build a fair bit, below are some pics

https://ibb.co/NyKKBJ5

https://ibb.co/FK9Hdm5

sweet, looking pretty good :D

new shocks arrived, just waiting for some lipos now :) Might need a new servo too and think the current 15kg is struggling a bit :(

Z2EfYsRl.jpg

hehe nice shocks and love the wee lego guy :p

Soldato
Well this thread has finally done it and I've bit the bullet...

Just received a Tamiya TT-02B kit in the post today, and now I'm hiding in the shed ordering the rest of the bits I need...

Kit: https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58630/index.htm

HopUp wise I've gone for upgraded front and rear hubs, steering rack, and some wheel hexes - gone for 3rd party bits for all these as the cost of the Tamiya versions is insane.

Also got a replacement prop shaft and associated hardware, high speed gear kit, motor heat sink, motor mount, toughened wishbones, better gearbox tops + FRP front and rear shock towers, and a full set of turnbuckles. Managed to get proper Tamiya bits for this lot.

Also got a full replacement screw kit (hex) and a set of bearings (3rd party for both these and not Tamiya as these bits are cheaper and of equal quality to the official bits)

Going to start building tomorrow so I'll post some pics - hoping to return to club racing with it, but will need a few more bits to get it ready for that, (steel dogbones, paint, and, proper 2.2" wheels and tyres mainly).

Associate
poOTHURzj

Finished. It's heavy but is fun to drive. Gets up to speed quick but is obviously not fast. The 4WS is good, really tight turning circle and skids or drifts a bit when turning and accelerating. Seems fairly stable and handles quite well but haven't taken it anywhere but the back garden yet. Lasts quite a long time off a single charge.

Soldato
@BongoHunter Interesting, it will be good to see how it looks with all the extras. What sort of motor will you put in it with all higher spec parts?
I think the max I'll be willing to run is probably a brushless 13.5 - that should allow for speeds well beyond my talents untill I've been back racing for a good while I think :D

Edit: just had a few bits out of the box - very impressed with the quality of the moulded parts. Tamiya always had neat moulds, but the materials they are using have come on quite a lot judging by the weight and stiffness compared to the Tamiya kits I've had before.

Back
Top Bottom