Noisy neighbour, playing guitar, drums etc!

Associate
So I recently visited a mate, as he moved into his new flat just before the covid 19 lockdown and over the weekend, was the first time I went to see him.

Most of the time we would talk on the phone, I could hear some music in the background and I was really surprised that he now listens to any kind of music. I visit him and it turns out the chap next door to his flat, plays music in the house. Not sure if the lad is a musician but oh my word, you can hear him banging away on the drums, singing and playing the guitar and it's supper loud.

I offered to go and have a chat with the chap but my mate refused. He's too peaceful, which I understand. Now just wanted to findout your opinions, is playing loud music like acceptable in residential setups and if not, what options does my mate have as he doesn't want to confront the chap himself but he would rather use the law to deal with this?. The chap is only skinny and he's not worried about fighting him or anything, he just wants to keep the peace with his neighbours.

Last edited:
Soldato
Eh, just go over and have a polite word. Ask if he takes requests.

If it's after 8AM and before 11PM the neighbour is in his right to make noise, as annoying as it may be.

Soldato
I had a noisy neighbour in the flats I lived in, housing and the police said there is no legal things that can be done until after certain times... We were told to get a noise meter app, log it all and maybe have a chat with the neighbour to try and resolve it... If the chat didn't work then keep a record of it all and keep complaining

That was what we were told to do but your housing people may be a bit better than how ours was :p

Associate
Don't assume your mate is introvert? I have a couple of friends like that who would rather take a loss than be confrontational about it. Each to their own i guess.

Anyways do they have a building manager or do you know if it is being rented out. You can speak to the landlord or letting agent directly if you know them. Some tenancy contracts state noise must be kept at a minimum (definitely no drums ) during late evening to morning hours (8pm to 8am for example)

Associate
OP
Don't assume your mate is introvert? I have a couple of friends like that who would rather take a loss than be confrontational about it. Each to their own i guess.

Anyways do they have a building manager or do you know if it is being rented out. You can speak to the landlord or letting agent directly if you know them. Some tenancy contracts state noise must be kept at a minimum (definitely no drums ) during late evening to morning hours (8pm to 8am for example)
It's all private flats, and my mate has no idea who owns the flat. To be fair though, he often plays the drums and guitar between 11am and 6pm, on and off.

Soldato
Not sure why you are getting involved.... No mention that your mate is bothered by it, no mention if he is doing it at unsociable hours, keep your nose out

Associate
^^^lol - there are two sides i think - on one side you want to help your mate out especially if they are introvert but yeah on the other side you don't wanna get too much involved if they are not comfortable - depends on your friendship I guess

Caporegime
If your mate isn’t bothered why are you? His situation, let him handle it how he wants to.

For what it’s worth when I lived in semi, or flat accommodation I always plugged headphones into my guitar amp when playing as I’m conscious of how loud it’d be (and how bad my playing is :p). Common courtesy imo.

Associate
If your mate isn’t bothered why are you? His situation, let him handle it how he wants to.

For what it’s worth when I lived in semi, or flat accommodation I always plugged headphones into my guitar amp when playing as I’m conscious of how loud it’d be (and how bad my playing is :p). Common courtesy imo.
We need more people like you. You'd be surprised how much common courtesy there is (or lack there of!).

Associate
If it’s after 11pm contact the EHO (through your local council)..

if you’re lucky they will send out the dudes in the van that will measure the volume of noise.. it’s normally a long process though, like others have said they will probably want a diary of times and some other kind of evidence before they will go that far.

Ps this might be out dated advice but it’s how it used to work

Soldato
If it’s after 11pm contact the EHO (through your local council)..

if you’re lucky they will send out the dudes in the van that will measure the volume of noise.. it’s normally a long process though, like others have said they will probably want a diary of times and some other kind of evidence before they will go that far.

Ps this might be out dated advice but it’s how it used to work
Why 11pm? Thought it doesn’t matter what time anymore.

Man of Honour
I've been playing in bands since 1970 and moved into this house in 1983.
I bet my neighbour has never heard music coming from my house because I wear headphones.
I've even had my band practising in my house but we all go into a mixer and monitor on headphones.

Back
Top Bottom