**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Well, it's accurate enough to find my perfectly normal house in a bog-standard city. It's accurate enough to do VFR from a map day or night. I'm not sure what people are expecting.

I told you what I was expecting.
I was also expecting to see my house 3d exactly or very close to Google maps.I'll get it and fly in America.

Last edited:
Associate
I have very little flight sim experience but loved just flying around in GTA 4/5 so I'm eager to try this, it looks amazing. My pc is ancient by now (i5 2500K 8GB Ram GTX1060 6GB) but still runs my racing sims just fine.

Would a Ryzen 5 3600/16GB Ram upgrade tide me over at 1080p?

Soldato
Not sure I'll be flying around the UK too much anyway tbh (apart from my house and your mum's back garden on a sunny day) when considering the hundreds of more interesting / attractive locations you can fly.

I'm going straight to the Norwegian fjords.

Yup, not interested in buildings personally, all about the landscapes....

Associate
Well, I've already uninstalled the beta from my system. It's awful. Contrary to what I feared, my system handled it fine. However, akin to what others have said previously, this is a [not including airports] scenery generator.

The airports were pimped to be amazing, even at basic level. They're not. Aircraft are cartoonish and handling is way off target.

The UI is too gamey and whilst eventually decipherable, is just not what serious simmers/FS veterans are used to. Default control/commands are not what we're used to. Night lighting at airports is non-existent.

I was a tester for Flight when that flopped. That almost spent as much time on my HD as this did. Almost.

WX FX seem ok though. Just like previous releases, FS2020 and the like were billed to be the dogs' doodahs and failed to deliver until various updates and 3rd party addons were completed.

I'll be sticking with P3D for a couple of years yet I think.

So glad I never pre-ordered.

Associate
Well, I've already uninstalled the beta from my system. It's awful. Contrary to what I feared, my system handled it fine. However, akin to what others have said previously, this is a [not including airports] scenery generator.

The airports were pimped to be amazing, even at basic level. They're not. Aircraft are cartoonish and handling is way off target.

The UI is too gamey and whilst eventually decipherable, is just not what serious simmers/FS veterans are used to. Default control/commands are not what we're used to. Night lighting at airports is non-existent.

I was a tester for Flight when that flopped. That almost spent as much time on my HD as this did. Almost.

WX FX seem ok though. Just like previous releases, FS2020 and the like were billed to be the dogs' doodahs and failed to deliver until various updates and 3rd party addons were completed.

That’s a shame to hear, what system are you running it on?

Soldato

I feared something like this might happen, was very careful to not get carried away with all the early videos and didn't preorder. I've a feeling many will be disappointed in the game past the glorious sunsets and fluffy clouds. The game has always struck me as being a looker from high up and visually breathtaking at times, but I've always been concerned about the whole game rather than just the nice graphics. How long will it take to get bored of just pointlessly flying admiring the views? I'm expecting the initial wow factor to sway a lot of early reviews and first impressions to be really positive but I've a feeling once you get beyond that you start to realise there's not a lot else going for it and you start to see the flaws.

Soldato
I would make up your own opinion once you get a chance to try it.

I don’t really get the point of pre-ordering software anyway, not like they sell out at launch and in this instance there is no extra content or discount... what’s the benefit?

If you have any doubts at all, don’t pre-order. Give it a go on gamepass.

Associate
That’s a shame to hear, what system are you running it on?
i5 4690k @4.5 GHz
GTX 1060 6GB
32 GB RAM
Sim installed on a SSD

Graphics settings to ultra. No idea what FPS I was getting but it was smooth on 1080p. Like previous posters, GFX card under 100% load, but didn't get hot enough for me to hear the fans.

Last edited:
Associate
i5 4690k @4.5 GHz
GTX 1060 6GB
32 GB RAM
Sim installed on a SSD

Graphics settings to ultra. No idea what FPS I was getting but it was smooth on 1080p. Like previous posters, GFX card under 100% load, but didn't get hot enough for me to hear the fans.

Thank you. Gives me hope with my system, looking to upgrade shortly but I’ll wait till it’s out and see what the best configuration seems to be for it.

Associate
Why were you expecting Google maps? When it's been explicitly stated it will use bing maps?

They weren't expecting Google Maps, they were expecting it to be close to Google Maps. I didn't know that Bing maps didnt have 3d view of most of the UK, probably the same as most people.

Associate
I have very little flight sim experience but loved just flying around in GTA 4/5 so I'm eager to try this, it looks amazing. My pc is ancient by now (i5 2500K 8GB Ram GTX1060 6GB) but still runs my racing sims just fine.

Would a Ryzen 5 3600/16GB Ram upgrade tide me over at 1080p?
I have 2600 16gb and RX 580 8GB on medium cpu is at 30% and it eats up to 11GB of ram. It's ok outside big towns but storm or any other clouds looks really bad and I suspect you will get much better performance with card that has more Vram

Back
Top Bottom