Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
There's 13 races planned so far, if all goes well. The bigger issue is the 3 continents rule. The Middle East should be relatively easy, but where else? North America is almost certainly out, South America too. That pretty much leaves Africa (Kyalami) or Australia. Ending the season in Australia like we used to would be pretty good, assuming Albert park is available at the height of summer in December.

Man of Honour
My new motorsport claim to fame :p

IMG-20200802-221001.jpg

Man of Honour
There's 13 races planned so far, if all goes well. The bigger issue is the 3 continents rule. The Middle East should be relatively easy, but where else? North America is almost certainly out, South America too. That pretty much leaves Africa (Kyalami) or Australia. Ending the season in Australia like we used to would be pretty good, assuming Albert park is available at the height of summer in December.

Its being heavily rumoured that Vietnam (Hanoi) will go ahead at some point in the autumn and there's talks about a Malaysian GP at Sepang - that should fulfil the 3 continent issue (although like others have said hey can waive that rule if needed)

Soldato
Its being heavily rumoured that Vietnam (Hanoi) will go ahead at some point in the autumn and there's talks about a Malaysian GP at Sepang - that should fulfil the 3 continent issue (although like others have said hey can waive that rule if needed)
Given recent news of cases in Vietnam I'd say that looks iffy at the moment. Probably a long time to wait though and no harm in pencilling it in.

Europe plus Asia. Which is the third continent? Like you say it doesn't matter, but currently there are no plans to return to Australia or North or South America.

As Sochi is in the European area of Russia it might end up as an all European calendar, which I wouldn't complain about given some of the tracks which are being used.

Man of Honour
Interesting - due to a rule change Esteban Gutierrez no longer qualifies for an F1 super-license which is why he couldn't replace Perez.

To qualify a driver needs to have participated in F1 in the last 3 years (Back to 2017) or “must be judged by the FIA to have recently and consistently demonstrated outstanding ability in single-seater formula cars” but they can run 300km testing to qualify.

That makes for a fairly short list of possible reserve drivers currently which includes:

Vandoorne (Formula E / Merc Reserve)
Wehrlein (Team-less having left Formula E)
Hartley (Ferrari Test Driver)
Palmer (Failed F1 driver)
Sirotkin (Renault Reserve)
Ericsson (Indycar)
Kubica (Alfa Reserve)
Alonso (Coming back to Renault)

Interestingly Jenson Button and Paul di Resta would also qualify given their last F1 runs were in 2017! Bizarre rules!

Soldato

What qualifies as a continent? The stuff the UK teaches in school isn't entirely correct. If talking about plates, Europe includes most of Asia or visa-versa. India and that region is on a different continent. Australia together with Papa is one, New Zealand is on its own sunken continent. The Caribbean is on its own. The whole Arabian peninsular is on its own too.

Political continents keep changing. Whatever happened to Australasia, and later Oceana. Now New Zealand is bundled into one called Australia despite Zeelandia meeting all the criteria to be a continent in its own right. I bet that doesn't go down well with other there.

Man of Honour
I thought the FIA had dropped that requirement this year due to exceptional circumstances?

Man of Honour
What qualifies as a continent? The stuff the UK teaches in school isn't entirely correct. If talking about plates, Europe includes most of Asia or visa-versa. India and that region is on a different continent. Australia together with Papa is one, New Zealand is on its own sunken continent. The Caribbean is on its own. The whole Arabian peninsular is on its own too.

Political continents keep changing. Whatever happened to Australasia, and later Oceana. Now New Zealand is bundled into one called Australia despite Zeelandia meeting all the criteria to be a continent in its own right. I bet that doesn't go down well with other there.
New Zealand being on a separate continent to Australia is of little consequence when it doesn't have a circuit capable of hosting an F1 race.

Same goes for the Caribbean, which is not usually considered a continent under any definitions I'm aware of.

Man of Honour
And with Formula E running it's mega-six-header-finale over the next week, I'd assume he'd rather race there for a championship than come in as a sub in F1.

McLaren have confirmed Paul di Resta as their Reserve Driver; seat fitting this morning; makes sense seen as they share with Force India/Merc and none of their drivers appear to be available!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Racing Point fined 400,000 euros and docked 15 points for illiegal brake ducts...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/racing-point-lose-points-fined-for-illegal-brake-ducts/

FIA Statement here:

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-renault-protest-decision

Fine and points deduction for the Styrian GP; reprimand for Hungary and Britain.

No mention of the first Austrian GP; didn't Renault protest that as well?

What a complete joke. Their either guilty and should be DQ or their not? 15 points? I’ll laugh when they still finish ahead of Renault. At least other teams now know the cost of copying another team - pretty cheap!

Back
Top Bottom