• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Card Failure Rates Published

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Coil whine is not just down to the card it can also be the PSU. Its where I discovered the bog roll method of detecting coil whine. Back when I had a GTX 580 I suddenly could hear coil whine. Opened the case and I thought it was coming from the graphics card. Some suggested they used an ear trumpet for detecting where it was coming from. Another didnt have an ear trumpet to hand (funnily enough) so used an empty bog roll. I scoffed at the idea, then I tried it and lo and behold it was like magic. Listening to my 580 via the empty tube and it was near silent apart from the fans pointed it at the power supply and it was actually coil whine coming from the PSU. So I got rid of my Antec and bought a brand new one which had good reviews and then no coil whine. So an empty bog roll saved me from buying a new GPU when it was the PSU.

This story needs to be shared... no so, the bog roll paper..

Permabanned
You should sell it on ebay as a patent pending coil whine detector device. Someone will buy it and a A4 instruction page for a fiver no problem lol.

Associate
Their data backs up what I've thought for a long time - stick to Sapphire when it comes to AMD cards. They've consistently put out decent quality cards with the Pulse and Nitro lines, and it seems they're reliable.
I agree Sapphire are the AIB of choice for AMD cards, always have been from what I remember.

Soldato
Associate
I've owned two Powercolor cards over the years and both were 100% fine... I'd actually have no problem buying one again but yes based on figures... it doesn't look good. Personally for Mobo's I have nothing but ASUS, simple as that but with GPU's I've had all sorts over the years and not one GPU has actually failed whether AMD/nVidia or any of the manfiactorers.

EDIT: Infact owned 3 Powercolor cards and all were fine, but yeah just luck of the draw I think tbh and everything nowadays is made so cheap anyway...

Same here, I had their 580 Red Devil and decided to get a 5700 XT Red Devil last year and it's doesnt have any problems, it's a great card!

Personally I think the model that has 13% return rate, might be because of several reasons, first that model was too expensive, I remember seeing the 5700 Red Devil priced as much as some lower end XTs.
Im guessing once those came in stock people actually decided to replace for a XT.
Another reason might be the XT mod, that some people bought and return the non XT models until they find one that is capable..

In any case I'm very happy with my PowerColor Red Devil.

Associate
My 2x 2080 Ti FE cards with Samsung VRAM that I've had since launch in 2018 are still going strong and so far 100% issue free, now that I said that one will probably die :D

Soldato
Coil whine is not just down to the card it can also be the PSU. Its where I discovered the bog roll method of detecting coil whine. Back when I had a GTX 580 I suddenly could hear coil whine. Opened the case and I thought it was coming from the graphics card. Some suggested they used an ear trumpet for detecting where it was coming from. Another didnt have an ear trumpet to hand (funnily enough) so used an empty bog roll. I scoffed at the idea, then I tried it and lo and behold it was like magic. Listening to my 580 via the empty tube and it was near silent apart from the fans pointed it at the power supply and it was actually coil whine coming from the PSU. So I got rid of my Antec and bought a brand new one which had good reviews and then no coil whine. So an empty bog roll saved me from buying a new GPU when it was the PSU.

Nice tip!!
I recently started hearing a coil whine since moving my computer from the side of a desk to the top to save space. I put it down to the GPU but going to try that!! Thanks.

Soldato
Their data backs up what I've thought for a long time - stick to Sapphire when it comes to AMD cards. They've consistently put out decent quality cards with the Pulse and Nitro lines, and it seems they're reliable.
Yeh have to agree, I was with Sapphire from 4830 days, then a sapphire 5850 which is still going strong in a spare computer etc took a chance with powercolor on my 290 and the fan failed after 18 months, now I'm back with Sapphire for Vega 56 and it's been great.

Associate
OP
Personally I think the model that has 13% return rate, might be because of several reasons, first that model was too expensive, I remember seeing the 5700 Red Devil priced as much as some lower end XTs.
Im guessing once those came in stock people actually decided to replace for a XT.
Another reason might be the XT mod, that some people bought and return the non XT models until they find one that is capable..

In any case I'm very happy with my PowerColor Red Devil.

Yes this is likely @xLegendary - I would also add the random driver behaviour people did not want to persevere with the actual issue and blamed the card getting a refund or exchange whilst it was under time period.
When I first read the article, I did wonder if it included distance selling returns but there's no mention. Of course it should say if it does.

Due to the size of the company I'd assume they test returned faulty cards (like OC).

Also, driver issues would surely be spread more evenly across manufacturers and would it result in a "faulty card" after testing?

Agree there, I would speculate more than 50%are because of the drivers
How do you get "more than 50%"? See above.

Caporegime
Mindfactory have published Nvidia and AMD GPU failure rates. It confirms the high RMA rates of 2080ti cards but also AMD 5700/5700XT cards, in particular the PowerColor brand.

https://wccftech.com/mindfactory-report-amd-gpus-fail-more-often-than-those-from-nvidia/

BTW ignore the clickbait title of the link :p

I'm surprised to see the ASRock Challenger D 5700XT only has a 2% RMA rate, they suffer from Shroud rattle, mine has it, tho its an easy none destructive DIY fix.

Soldato
When I first read the article, I did wonder if it included distance selling returns but there's no mention. Of course it should say if it does.

Due to the size of the company I'd assume they test returned faulty cards (like OC).

Also, driver issues would surely be spread more evenly across manufacturers and would it result in a "faulty card" after testing?

How do you get "more than 50%"? See above.
Because some cards don't experience the problems with drivers, in the same setup 2 might and the 3rd doesn't. If you rma for this and it happens on ocuk test bench is that a fail?

Associate
another reminder to stay away from power colour
those red devil cards are just always pushed too far

rest look as expected, thought the 2080ti would have been slightly higher though

Back
Top Bottom