Massive blast in Beirut

Capodecina
Soldato
I quite agree, but at what point does one let said populous self-harm through its own stubborn stupidity?

Never as long as there's money to be made. Look at the trans movements of the 2010s, one of the most damaging movements for human physical and mental health of the decade - people paying money for parts of their own bodies to be removed, lapped up by private medicine and supported on social media. I think that many of those people, in the 2020s, will severely regret their decision.

But that's going off topic and has been discussed to death, I imagine. We should get back to discussing Lebanon.

By the way, the BBC has just run an article on Beirut conspiracy theories and debunking them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/53669029

Soldato
By the way, the BBC has just run an article on Beirut conspiracy theories and debunking them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/53669029

and in the words of people like my aunt "Ah but that's what they want you to think. You can't trust state-endorsed media to tell the truth..." Which baffles me, because it implies you can therefore trust other media? But only ones that fit your preconceived opinion, otherwise it's lies (or that horrible phrase "fake news"). So truth has become relative and actually all that matters is what I think, and the facts must bend to fit that. "So Aunt," I ask, "how do we decide what is correct if we have different opinions?"
"Well we need to look at the facts"
"and where do you get those facts from?"
"I find them myself"
"How and where from?"
"the internet."
"ok, where?"
answer = one youtube channel I shan't give publicity to, with all the rigour and factual reliability of a spam email claiming to be from the prince of nigerurea.
"why?"
"oh you can trust them you see as they're not the government so don't have an agenda"
<insert a lot of expletives and take a walk>

Permabanned
Why are people still going down the conspiratard route on this? You've got parties sworn to destroy one another agreeing that it's nothing more than an utterly tragic accident?
hope your not talking about me .. i'm trying to explain a chain reaction were one explosion leads to the next ,where we are told the ammonium nitrate on it's own would not be enough .. but if you add the dust from the silos splitting then you get the big badda boom ..
as you can see from the video .. the ammonium nitrate did go first big orange cloud which cracked the silo's a split second later you have more than enough highly combustible material to cause the big boom ..

Soldato
hope your not talking about me .. i'm trying to explain a chain reaction were one explosion leads to the next ,where we are told the ammonium nitrate on it's own would not be enough .. but if you add the dust from the silos splitting then you get the big badda boom ..
as you can see from the video .. the ammonium nitrate did go first big orange cloud which cracked the silo's a split second later you have more than enough highly combustible material to cause the big boom ..

There's clearly a fire going on before the ammonium nitrate goes off though.

Soldato
I think we've been told that the ammonium nitrate on its own WOULD be enough though?

I blame flat Earth terrorists
Would they be the ones lecturing on how the earth is flat while at the same time singing the praises of their car's GPS navigation system?

Last edited by a moderator:
Capodecina
Soldato
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some serious civil unrest in Beirut after this. Protests are planned for later today and I think the country is going to spiral down into further decline. It's politically and financially in ruins, add COVID to the mix and it's unimaginably bad.

Caporegime
sick of seeing that woman "getting married" for an instagram photo shoot.

no one makes a video like that on there wedding day its not a wedding it's an attention seeking woman making a video for the internet.

the only people watching her are the cameras, shes probably not even getting married.

should focus on the poor but I guess they are less relatable for modern society's attention seeking generations

Caporegime
OP

no one makes a video like that on there wedding day its not a wedding it's an attention seeking woman making a video for the internet.

the only people watching her are the cameras, shes probably not even getting married.

should focus on the poor but I guess they are less relatable for modern society's attention seeking generations

O....K

1000's injured, 300,000 people homeless and that is your take away from this?

Capodecina
Soldato
no one makes a video like that on there wedding day

Oh, they do - it's extremely common in certain parts of Turkey, so I imagine it extends to quite a few other places in the Middle East. You'll get egocentric brides being followed all over towns and villages by exasperated new husbands and overly-keen photographers making them pose in every stone doorway and on every rural street corner. For many it's not a wedding but a glorified photo shoot.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh, they do - it's extremely common in certain parts of Turkey, so I imagine it extends to quite a few other places in the Middle East. You'll get egocentric brides being followed all over towns and villages by exasperated new husbands and overly-keen photographers making them pose in every stone doorway and on every rural street corner. For many it's not a wedding but a glorified photo shoot.

You hardly need to go to the Middle East to find couples having photo shoots done. Practically everyone has a wedding photographer who will take the couple aside for some staged photos or video. I've got to wonder what bitter planet @arknor is from to be so negative about such a simple and harmless practice.

Soldato
You hardly need to go to the Middle East to find couples having photo shoots done. Practically everyone has a wedding photographer who will take the couple aside for some staged photos or video. I've got to wonder what bitter planet @arknor is from to be so negative about such a simple and harmless practice.

Take them aside sure, is it common to visit different locations (the beach, a wheat field, a forest) for shoots in various places? I've seen that a fair few times in the middle east..

Capodecina
Soldato

To be fair, I see where he's coming from, but you're totally right, it's completely normal for photographers to take the couple aside and/or to take some photos of the bride. What I've seen repeatedly in Turkey though is photo tours, that's the only way I can think of describing them, which focus solely on deifying the bride while at least one (in same cases many) photographer(s) fawn over her, sometimes for several hours. It's quite vulgar.

EDIT: @Unseul knows what I'm talking about.

Caporegime
Quite apart from the fact that any such system is ripe for abuse, Democracy gets its legitimacy from the mandate granted to it by the populous. People are not more or less part of that populous based on their knowledge or ability to reason.

I laughed and could only think of "You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!!" :D

Soldato
To be fair, I see where he's coming from, but you're totally right, it's completely normal for photographers to take the couple aside and/or to take some photos of the bride. What I've seen repeatedly in Turkey though is photo tours, that's the only way I can think of describing them, which focus solely on deifying the bride while at least one (in same cases many) photographer(s) fawn over her, sometimes for several hours. It's quite vulgar.

EDIT: @Unseul knows what I'm talking about.

Israel for me. Thankfully my wife wanted a small wedding. The fact that at the time, we weren't allowed to marry in Israel helped too. Think there were 14 guests at our wedding, a few too many, but it'll do. My sister in law had 500+ and had one of those photo tour things. It does get quite ridiculous, but if it makes people happy, then go for it. Would have made me bloody miserable.

Caporegime

Who said she was getting married? First time i saw that clip it was with a note saying it was a fashion photographer shoot. Have people thought since that it was a real wedding??????

I have done several fashion shoots myself with the model wearing a wedding dress.

Back
Top Bottom