What is white privilege?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well quite, its an absolute fact that disabled people are wrongly prejudiced against. Its why we have legislation to prevent it, DDA regulations for example. I think the issue is though that people don't even question the validity of that claim and yet you mention white privilege and the world ends.

I think people see it as a personal accusation, and most people don't believe themselves to be racist, and so get defensive. It's like people reading "Black lives matter" as "Only black lives matter" instead of "Black lives matter as well."

Soldato
The usual suspects clearly at large.

Three responses from people who attack a persons character and admit to not watching the content.

Congrats guys.
Ok I've watched it now. He talked a lot without ever making a point. Like "is a rich black man more privileged than a poor white man?" as if that addresses the idea of white privilege.

I'm just guessing that this guy talks around the point a great deal, distracting by talking about how we're all so privileged these days, compared with times of lore, and how pointing the finger at individual challenges isn't helpful.

Or some such nonsense
He actually said "History was hell for everyone. To be born now is to have won the historical lottery" :D

Soldato
I found the video and the speaker pertinent to the discussion.

For such an important subject ten minutes is hardly a lot of time, again I see the same people resorting to character attacks rather than discussion or even the consideration of discussion.

To my eyes it seems that you've found a position you can't address so you've chosen to disregard it and go on the attack instead.

Given the standard of evidence in that YouTube video, I'd not rely on my eyes too much in future.

It's not attacking a character or disregarding a point, you've literally provided a video from a known CT promoting source and want people to spend 10 minutes watching a video, that in all likelihood, will be light on facts and high on misrepresenting things.

You've done that without even really explaining which bit you specifically agreed with and why.

Soldato
When I think of white privelage, I think of the person calling the cops on Stormzy shortly after he moved into his new gaff in Chelsea.

You have to wonder if it would have happened if he was white.

Soldato
When I think of white privelage, I think of the person calling the cops on Stormzy shortly after he moved into his new gaff in Chelsea.

I'd imagine a FOI request might obtain the stats for how many times the police have been called on people for living in their own home. I can't imagine it's a regular occurrence

Soldato
And now there are all sorts of conspiracy ******** videos on my YT sidebar!

Poisons your brain, this stuff. I'd advise you cut it out @Gray2233

This is another reason not to click.

There should be an option on YouTube - 'I'm watching this content to humour someone, please do not serve up anything linked to this'

It was bad enough when my daughter started watching Peppa Pig on my account. :D

Soldato

It wouldn't happen if he were white, we can all agree on that. People that called on him are racists, plain and simple - it exists still for some strange ****ing reason.

Calling it white privilege creates a group to blame however. It's black disadvantage, and should be recognised and alleviated by all and I think in the main part BLM and all of the workshops employers do will help bring it to the forefront of everyone's minds and educate away the bias people don't realise they hold. It's generational though and will take time and effort to eradicate.

Soldato
Im pointing out that the people that dismiss people like Murray or Farage have already heard what they are selling. What you are doing is called confirmation bias.

You can accuse me of that Tony but unfortunately for you it isn't true.

Confirmation bias is certainly evident in this thread with certain posters, much as it is in other politically charged or identitarian focused threads.

You've done that without even really explaining which bit you specifically agreed with and why.

White Privilege is a nonsensical claim, you can boil literally everything down to some form of privilege. A person born into a middle class family has more privilege than someone born into a working class, yet the middle class child might have a miserable upbringing compared to the working class. A tall dark and handsome man could be said to have more genetic privilege than a 5 foot tall guy with a unibrow.

It's the wrong place to have the discussion, it's accusatory and doesn't give an informed view of anything.

If people want to have positive discussions about improving the lot of people who 'lack privilege' they're not going to achieve that by pointing fingers, which is what it feels like for a huge portion of people being told about how supposedly privileged they are. Instead of having a healthy discussion about equality you instead have two sides of the fence shouting at each other and getting nowhere, and the more annoyed people become the more extremes they go to in terms of arguments and the greater the divide becomes.

Soldato
It wouldn't happen if he were white, we can all agree on that. People that called on him are racists, plain and simple - it exists still for some strange ****ing reason.

Calling it white privilege creates a group to blame however. It's black disadvantage, and should be recognised and alleviated by all and I think in the main part BLM and all of the workshops employers do will help bring it to the forefront of everyone's minds and educate away the bias people don't realise they hold. It's generational though and will take time and effort to eradicate.

It has to be labelled to discuss it.

Black disadvantage is no better than white privilege, and arguably worse in its implication that the problem is with black people, it's not, it's with white society in majority white countries.

Of course in other countries there will be Arab Privilege or Black Privilege.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire to be better, especially given those who deny white privilege, by implication, think they are better.

Caporegime
Ok I've watched it now. He talked a lot without ever making a point. Like "is a rich black man more privileged than a poor white man?" as if that addresses the idea of white privilege.

Something I've addressed before myself (can't find the post in search now though)

I said that a rich black women has more of an advantage over a poor white man, out of the gate.

White privilege is "all other things being equal", being white is an advantage in Western society.

Soldato
You can accuse me of that Tony but unfortunately for you it isn't true.

Confirmation bias is certainly evident in this thread with certain posters, much as it is in other politically charged or identitarian focused threads.

White Privilege is a nonsensical claim, you can boil literally everything down to some form of privilege. A person born into a middle class family has more privilege than someone born into a working class, yet the middle class child might have a miserable upbringing compared to the working class. A tall dark and handsome man could be said to have more genetic privilege than a 5 foot tall guy with a unibrow.

It's the wrong place to have the discussion, it's accusatory and doesn't give an informed view of anything.

If people want to have positive discussions about improving the lot of people who 'lack privilege' they're not going to achieve that by pointing fingers, which is what it feels like for a huge portion of people being told about how supposedly privileged they are. Instead of having a healthy discussion about equality you instead have two sides of the fence shouting at each other and getting nowhere, and the more annoyed people become the more extremes they go to in terms of arguments and the greater the divide becomes.

So you agree that there are traits that give you an advantage in our society?

Why can't being black be one of those traits.

Let's take your 5 foot uni brow.

They have several disadvantages in life in your scenario. What you're missing is that being black is just another disadvantage that all black people will experience.

Try thinking about it like rolling a 12 sided die to decide who 'wins' in an event where all other factors are equal.

If you're black though, you get -1 off your roll every time.

Yes, the black person will win some of the rolls, but obviously, over time they will lose more than they win.

Soldato
So you agree that there are traits that give you an advantage in our society?

Of course people are advantaged in certain ways compared to other people, that will literally always be the case no matter what we try to achieve.

I'm saying that it's a stance which ultimately turns into an endless argument, we're already seeing massive backlash against the claims of 'white privilege' from people who feel by and large under attack. In some cases it's even true, you get bad people on both side of the debate as well as those who genuinely believe they're decent people.

If we want to push for change to improve peoples lives in certain respects it needs to come from a different angle.

But it is true. You have posted a video of evidence of your stance. It has been pointed out he didnt actually say anything worth anything. You see it as confirmation of what you are saying. Confirmation bias.

That's not how it works Tony.

Someone isn't confirming bias merely by agreeing with someone on a single topic after listening to the opinions of many different people on said topic.

Murray believes that the concept is misplaced and will rile people up more than act as a positive force.

It's hardly an extreme stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom