What is white privilege?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Of course people are advantaged in certain ways compared to other people, that will literally always be the case no matter what we try to achieve.

I'm saying that it's a stance which ultimately turns into an endless argument, we're already seeing massive backlash against the claims of 'white privilege' from people who feel by and large under attack. In some cases it's even true, you get bad people on both side of the debate as well as those who genuinely believe they're decent people.

If we want to push for change to improve peoples lives in certain respects it needs to come from a different angle.

Are you going to address the point I made or just justify inaction over racism because some people get upset by being called racist, when they must be, because racism does exist?

Caporegime
Soldato
Are you going to address the point I made or just justify inaction over racism because some people get upset by being called racist, when they must be, because racism does exist?

What point was that? I addressed what you said, if you don't like the response that's on you bud.

It seems to me you're doing what Murray was accused of doing in the video.

Right back at you though, are you going to address my point and the one made in the video?

Soldato
How do you propose they fix the issue of not having enough people from all ethnic groups? People break employment law all the time by ignoring candidates with 'forrin' sounding names', I've seen it first hand.

Ultimately, and I used to disagree with positive discrimination until I became wiser about the world, we will need some sort of 'leg up' while society remains as is.

The only way to ensure that these sorts of schemes aren't required is to educate racism out of society.

Soldato
What point was that? I addressed what you said, if you don't like the response that's on you bud.

It seems to me you're doing what Murray was accused of doing in the video.

Right back at you though, are you going to address my point and subsequently the one made in the video?

The one about rolling a die as an analogy.

Soldato
I was hoping to walk into a job thanks to positive discrimination after just finishing uni, but covid and its impact on the job market has torpedod that ;(

Soldato
The one about rolling a die as an analogy.

Some people have inherent advantages and some people do not, yes that's a given and that may well be true for black people in white majority countries.

You aren't going to solve those problems by riling people up and making accusations.

Ultimately a black man born into a wealthy family is probably going to win more of your proverbial rolls than a white guy born on a council estate to an abusive father and mother.

The 'probably' part is an important distinction however.

You need to treat people as individuals, and if you want discourse you need to bring people to the table under good faith and without causing more divide.

Running around telling people they have "X" privilege has done nothing but annoy people and it isn't helping.

Soldato
Are we not allowed to talk about the privilege of wealth either then? In case we upset the wealthy?

I think we need to approach discussions on heated topics in a more careful and considerate way if we want people to listen, instead we constantly have people attacking each other and solidifying negative opinions towards one another.

Wealth however is another thing entirely, a person isn't inherently wealthy in the sense that a person can be of a specific sex or race.

Ultimately I think looking at the wealth divide would do more good than the constant focus on race.

Soldato
Some people have inherent advantages and some people do not, yes that's a given and that may well be true for black people in white majority countries.

You aren't going to solve those problems by riling people up and making accusations.

Ultimately a black man born into a wealthy family is probably going to win more of your proverbial rolls than a white guy born on a council estate to an abusive father and mother.

The 'probably' part is an important distinction however.

You need to treat people as individuals, and if you want discourse you need to bring people to the table under good faith and without causing more divide.

It is a fact in white countries. But since you agree it is at least 'probably' a thing. :rolleyes:

How do you do something about that in your world?

'You know that thing that we can't mention? It's a bit of a problem.'

'That thing?'

'Yeah, you know, <whispers> white privilege'

How does that work? You have to look at things, discuss them and work out how to overcome them.

We've already moved in from using the term racist because it offends racists. That a few people get upset about addressing their bigotry isn't really a consideration any more, not when it's a choice to be a racist and then a choice to be offended by the truth about society.

Caporegime
Ultimately, and I used to disagree with positive discrimination until I became wiser about the world, we will need some sort of 'leg up' while society remains as is.

The only way to ensure that these sorts of schemes aren't required is to educate racism out of society.

My leg up was the fact I could afford to work as an apprentice for £80 a week to get into the industry I wanted to work in. If I couldn't afford that, I wouldn't be where I am now. Probably working as low skilled labour or in retail (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom