New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Hi all,

I got me 2 of these the other day with the discount codes etc. I've set them up next to each other and they both seem fine under daylight usage, can't see any backlight bleed or major tints in the corners.
165hz seems to work without any issues and gsync works fine with the latest drivers.

From reading online a few people think its an LG panel? Specifically LM270WQA-SSA2 if it means anything to anyone! (You can also get into the service panel by turning the monitor off, holding buttons 2 and 4, turning the monitor back on, releasing buttons 2 and 4.. then finally pressing button 5 for the curious).

I'll give it another test run tonight on some dark scenes from some films or something and see if I can spot anything odd.
So far it feels a massive contrast from buying some Ultrasharps 2 years ago, I had to send several back before I got some that were remotely acceptable. I'm quite happy with these so far truth be told!

Associate
Got one of these recently, struggling to get 144Hz though.. It's seeming to max out at 120Hz. Initially I had it plugged in using my old setup with an HDMI cable and that started at 60Hz when I plugged it in.

I've now upgraded to the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor and it now gives me the option of 120Hz, but no higher. Graphics card is a GTX680, all drivers updated and installed the Dell drivers too. Windows 7. Any clues please?

Soldato
Just pressed the button to buy one of these, looks good for the price....delivery estimate in about 2.5 weeks... please say they arrive sooner! ordered direct from dell uk.

cheers

Soldato
Worth buying this if I'm Nvidia and therefore only "G-Sync" compatible? Orrr hold on for something proper G-Sync?

I'm reading that you have to divide the total Hz by 3 (aka 165 / 3 = 55) and therefore G-Sync only kicks in after 55fps? Is that right?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've now upgraded to the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor and it now gives me the option of 120Hz, but no higher. Graphics card is a GTX680, all drivers updated and installed the Dell drivers too. Windows 7. Any clues please?

Graphics card wont support higher i'm guessing.

Associate
Got one of these recently, struggling to get 144Hz though.. It's seeming to max out at 120Hz. Initially I had it plugged in using my old setup with an HDMI cable and that started at 60Hz when I plugged it in.

Thats almost definitely due to the displayport version your graphics card supports rather than the monitor. A GTX680 is basically ancient now.

Associate
Worth buying this if I'm Nvidia and therefore only "G-Sync" compatible? Orrr hold on for something proper G-Sync?

I'm reading that you have to divide the total Hz by 3 (aka 165 / 3 = 55) and therefore G-Sync only kicks in after 55fps? Is that right?

From Nvidia's website:

beGDyQD.png

Full G-Sync modules seems to be rarer now with the vast majority going G-Sync Compatible/FreeSync.

As long as you're keeping FPS above 48 then the G-Sync will function and realistically, if you're buying a 165Hz monitor you should have the hardware to stay well above 55 FPS!

Soldato
Ordered mine yesterday and apparently will be delivered today now, according to the email - that was a welcome surprise!
Does this monitor have speakers built in, cant see from the spec but it has audio in/out and what looks like speaker grills on the underneath?

Associate
Ordered mine yesterday and apparently will be delivered today now, according to the email - that was a welcome surprise!
Does this monitor have speakers built in, cant see from the spec but it has audio in/out and what looks like speaker grills on the underneath?
No, it doesn't have built in speakers.

Soldato
Mind if I ask how it compares to your U2715H? I'm wanting a monitor that's good enough in terms of colour accuracy that I can use as a main monitor alongside my U2715H.

Think you’ll be happy with it, picture is at least as good as the U2715H. Bit more oversaturated maybe, but if that’s important to you grab a spider to tune it or so

I only game and use vs code on mine so not hyper sensitive to color balance

Soldato
I’m getting quite a lot of glow in the bottom left corner of the screen. Really not if i should try and get it replaced.

Associate
Think you’ll be happy with it, picture is at least as good as the U2715H. Bit more oversaturated maybe, but if that’s important to you grab a spider to tune it or so

I only game and use vs code on mine so not hyper sensitive to color balance

Thanks for letting me know! That sounds good, I guess I'll be able to knock back the saturation when it gets calibrated. Surprisingly it was supposed to be delivered today (estimate was a couple of weeks) but I missed it. Hopefully be able to pick it up from UPS tomorrow otherwise it will be Monday.

I have my Spyder ready and waiting.

Soldato
I’m getting quite a lot of glow in the bottom left corner of the screen. Really not if i should try and get it replaced.

How are you measuring this, you need to take a photo from about 1.5m in the dark with ISO to 800 and Shutter Speed to 1/8 in a dark environment and let us know. Those photos with highly illuminated corners are meaningless.

Soldato
How are you measuring this, you need to take a photo from about 1.5m in the dark with ISO to 800 and Shutter Speed to 1/8 in a dark environment and let us know. Those photos with highly illuminated corners are meaningless.

I’m measuring it with my eyes when i use my monitor normally.

Soldato
Mine arrived today, pretty impressed so far although I've been working so I only plugged it into my old work laptop so far, so it was running some funky resolution somewhere between 1080 and 1440 as my lappy doesn't support 1440.

Cant see any dead or stuck pixels from a cursory glance, but there is a slight imperfection on the corner of the screen where its black, it looks like a tiny pin ***** in the black coating under the screen, but it's only visible in a bright room.

Will test it on my main PC tonight with a game or two.

Its also bright - i knocked the brightness down to about 50% straight away, and that's in a well lit room in day time. Other than that I've left the settings alone.

Soldato
I've just bought one too from Dell Ireland. Got 10% off using work email address It conservatively say's 3 weeks delivery, but I fully expect it to arrive within 5 working days.

I got the same message... Mine came next day in england from dell UK, via UPS so I guess they have stock in UK/ireland now.

Back
Top Bottom