What is white privilege?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't get it.

I can see why someone's disability would affect how I treated them (for example opening the door for them, arranging to meet somewhere I know has better access for them, etc). I can see why someone's religion would affect how I treated them (alcohol, certain foods, etc). But I can't see any reason why I would want to treat someone differently because of their race. Can you give an example?

I've given several above, I thought?

My brother in law is a racist.

I know there are pubs local to me that are racist so I have to get a taxi to go for a drink with a Nigerian friend.

Anothe one is I have an associate who I won't take to a Pakistani restaurant because he's a racist Indian.

Caporegime
Essentially, white privilege:

Your life may be full of many challenges, but the colour of your skin isn't one of them.

So perhaps better described as majority privilege... also it’s rather context specific.

Essentially assume some % of society is racist to some degree, if you’re in the majority group then that’s less likely to impact you too much... you could still experience racism and racists bit it’s less likely to have as much impact on you if you’re in the majority - it’s not really specific to being white though.

For example of you’re not in a white majority country some other group might well be more privileged (in terms of race).

Also say you’re a white kid going to a majority black school in a black area in the US, you don’t necessarily have white privilege in that context... you perhaps do in the wider US though etc...

The problem is lots of bad examples have been used to claim white privileged which muddles things, you then get people saying they’re poor therefore it’s nonsese... but technically it’s not about being poor/rich.

Also there are many other forms of privilege - being smart, tall, attractive, healthy, good looking, having a Ferguson nationality/passport etc...

Though I suspect the privilege of having plenty of money/wealth by far eclipses all of them.

tl;dr

White privilege is over hyped and perhaps better described as majority privilege anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've given several above, I thought?

My brother in law is a racist.

I know there are pubs local to me that are racist so I have to get a taxi to go for a drink with a Nigerian friend.

Nope, still not making sense to me. You're discriminating against the non-white person by excluding them from something because of their race. Surely it would be a better approach to tell your racist relative he can't come to the event because of his unacceptable attitudes?

Surely it would also be better to discuss with your Nigerian friend and say you'd be happy to go to the local pub but you know some people would cause him trouble and ask whether he would prefer going elsewhere. That way you treat him the same as anyone else and allow him to make his own decision.

Anothe one is I have an associate who I won't take to a Pakistani restaurant because he's a racist Indian.
I'm fully aware of the hate many Indians and Pakistanis have for each other (it goes both ways). But in this example you are not behaving differently because of his race. You are behaving differently because of the persons unacceptable attitudes. If you are saying it's because of his race (Indian) then that would mean you would not take any Indian's to that restaurant. So is it because he is racist or is it because he is Indian?

Caporegime
It's nonsense made up in the USA that means nothing in Europe.

Don't even acknowledge crap like this. It does nothing but fracture society and fuel the culture war.

It certainly makes more sense in the US where they had slavery then segregation then redlining/property laws designed to uphold some segregation etc...

In the UK though it arguably has less of an impact and “class privilege” is perhaps a bigger thing here, which can of course overlap a bit.

Soldato
Nope, still not making sense to me. You're discriminating against the non-white person by excluding them from something because of their race. Surely it would be a better approach to tell your racist relative he can't come to the event because of his unacceptable attitudes?

Surely it would also be better to discuss with your Nigerian friend and say you'd be happy to go to the local pub but you know some people would cause him trouble and ask whether he would prefer going elsewhere. That way you treat him the same as anyone else and allow him to make his own decision.

I'm fully aware of the hate many Indians and Pakistanis have for each other (it goes both ways). But in this example you are not behaving differently because of his race. You are behaving differently because of the persons unacceptable attitudes. If you are saying it's because of his race (Indian) then that would mean you would not take any Indian's to that restaurant. So is it because he is racist or is it because he is Indian?

I'm not discriminating against the white person at all, I'm saying I won't subject a friend to his obnoxious rhetoric. I can't not invite my brother in law to his own barbeque. This happened, I had to leave it to the missus to explain why I wouldn't be at a barbeque because I had a black friend staying with me.

I've tried to have the conversation with him a dozen times, as has his brother, it doesn't change, just as you seem unable to empathise right now.

Next, why on earth would I say to my friend, 'Lets go here, you'll almost definitely hate it but, hey it's an option!'

Lastly, yes, you're right, I've never said differently. I treat all people as individuals, which is why that particular Indian person would never be invited to a Pakistani restaurant, but I quite happily frequent Indian restaurants with my Kashmiri friend, because he's not a bigot.

Caporegime
I have a friend who likes dance music so i wont suggest we go to a heavy metal club....

Am i woke now? That is literally all you are saying. Am i misunderstanding this so much..... I wish i was racist enough to understand it.

Soldato
I have a friend who likes dance music so i wont suggest we go to a heavy metal club....

Am i woke now? That is literally all you are saying. Am i misunderstanding this so much..... I wish i was racist enough to understand it.

Stop being ridiculous and infantile.

But, to give you the benefit of the doubt, there's a difference between 'can't for reasons out of my control even though I'd like to' and 'i'd prefer not to because of my preferences in life'.

Man of Honour
I'm not discriminating against the white person at all, I'm saying I won't subject a friend to his obnoxious rhetoric. I can't not invite my brother in law to his own barbeque. This happened, I had to leave it to the missus to explain why I wouldn't be at a barbeque because I had a black friend staying with me.

I've tried to have the conversation with him a dozen times, as has his brother, it doesn't change, just as you seem unable to empathise right now.

Next, why on earth would I say to my friend, 'Lets go here, you'll almost definitely hate it but, hey it's an option!'

Lastly, yes, you're right, I've never said differently. I treat all people as individuals, which is why that particular Indian person would never be invited to a Pakistani restaurant, but I quite happily frequent Indian restaurants with my Kashmiri friend, because he's not a bigot.
No need to try to make attacks. That's an easy thing to try when you find people disagree with you.

I find it peculiar that your brother-in-law would even allow him to be invited if he's so racist.

Soldato
A social construct derived by the left, because they can't think of any other reason why black families and black people could possibly be victimised without it, completely ignoring wealth, location, broken families and many other socioeconomic factors that are more likely the prevalent issues.

Caporegime
White privilege is being stalked by someone presumably due to a sexist/racist belief that because you are a white woman you will be a softer target than a 200lb African man and it still be called a 'random ' rather than targeted attack.

Screenshot-20200806-190841-Chrome.jpg

Soldato
It sounds like he's playing the white saviour role trying to protect his black friend from feeling uncomfortable, where as the non racist thing to do would be to take your black friend to the barbecue, as he's most likely able to defend himself if a confrontation arises?

Personally, I wouldn't have any contact with a relation if they held those kinds of views.

Last edited:
Soldato
No need to try to make attacks. That's an easy thing to try when you find people disagree with you.

I find it peculiar that your brother-in-law would even allow him to be invited if he's so racist.

It's not an attack, it's a simple statement of the position you portray.

But, if you want to get into the absolute minutiae of that one particular example, I had 3 friends up to stay.

My brother in law was having a BBQ and said 'bring them along' not knowing one of them was black.

Caporegime
I don't see how your brother-I-L being racist has anything to do with white privilege.. lol
Honestly i just don't get it, benefit of the doubt or not. Its a cool story tho.
Just sounds like you being a normal person and avoiding c words but with some kind of hero complex for doing normal things we do everyday, like not putting ourselves or friends into **** situations, that are out of our control.

Soldato
Would you go to a racist pub if you didn't have your Nigerian friend with you? I know I wouldn't!

Not an overtly racist, BNP type place, no I wouldn't.

But I honestly don't believe people understand how these things work, if you've never been in a situation where there's no specific threat, but a general feeling of being vulnerable, good, but it's really quite distressing in my experience.

So, for example, my parents village is a typical middle England boomer village.

No one is overtly racist, or actively so, and I can have a drink there quite happily. If I took my Nigerian friend there, he would get funny looks off some people though.

Soldato
I don't see how your brother-I-L being racist has anything to do with white privilege.. lol
Honestly i just don't get it, benefit of the doubt or not. Its a cool story tho.
Just sounds like you being a normal person and avoiding c words but with some kind of hero complex for doing normal things we do everyday, like not putting ourselves or friends into **** situations, that are out of our control.

Because my brother in-law isn't a rare thing. There are enough racists out there that the example I gave isn't isolated, it was an example of things that happen all the time.

Flip it on its head and multiply it by a lot, would you happily stroll around Afghanistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom