bet winning

Associate
About 12 years ago I betted £3 by doing a Lucky 15 on greyhounds; that's 4 singles, 6 doubles and 4 trebles. I won about £600.
Then I stopped and haven't gambled since.

Associate
A mate of mine was cookooo in the hospital a while back, dosed up on pain killers ect. Anyway he was putting a bet on the local team against Rangers and in his rather iffy mental state put an extra zero on the bet he put down by mistake.

The "mistake" netted him 2 and a half big ones when they played a week later :p he was surprised at the win and even more surprised when he found out it was 3 figures worth of bet he put on lol.
There there was the other time we we both in a local sports bar watching an old firm match - i had money on (iirc 3:2 and 5:1) and he had the same.
I won a few hundred, he took away another 4 figure sum, suffice to say we were utterly *******d that night. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
When I did matched betting, I made a good few grand inside a year.

Anyway, my home team (league 2) had somehow managed to make it through the FA cup and faced a premier league side lol

I thought there's no way on earth a league 2 team can beat a premier league team. So....I chucked a cool £1,000 on them to lose and the buggers won :eek:

Soldato
I've got next weeks lottery numbers if you want? £5 to my paypal and they're yours.*

*Any advice given is on a non professional level and I hold no responsibility if my predictions are wrong. You place the bet on your own accord.

Man of Honour
10 fold accas are inherently hard to win on anything other than extremely short odds. As for it being a matter of time before it comes off, arguably that is true it is just that you might have to wait a VERY long time, and potentially your bankroll will be exhausted before that point.

With 5-folds look for a bookie that give acca insurance or similar, 1 losing bet of the 5 and you get money back. Although obviously also check the odds are competitive, as it may be worse value that another bookie (e.g. Bet365 pays acca bonus on top european leagues so your winnings are elevated).

Caporegime
anyone got any experience in sports football betting and can enlightened me how to make some money. it seems i got the worst luck in the world.

Don’t bother, at least not in the long term (unless you're really, really good), legal/regulated bookies are often very quick to ban or significantly limit winning(or “sharp”) players.

It’s a dirty secret they don’t like to admit to... granted they’ll be happy to take publicity shots of some mug who got lucky with an accumulator bet etc.. that sort of lucky oversized pay out is one of the few ways you can be a net winner over a bunch of bets and for them to be happy to take more of your (obviously -EV) action.

It shouldn't be too hard to just wait and bet when you find value/win at various popular bookies simply through what Americans would refer to as "line shopping", US betting markets (and offshore books catering to US markets) are a little different but the principle is the same - sometimes bookies are a bit slow relative to the rest of the market and sometimes they simply post "square" lines (or odds in the UK context) in order to make themselves attractive to punters. If you do this though you can quite quickly be limited by them.

Obviously there are also special offers you can take advantage of too - either outright or via "matched betting" (see thread on here or just stick that term into google).

Lastly if you get into handicapping and are very good then you could perhaps get a bit more out of the bookies and/or be profitable at the exchanges... especially if you're profitable betting with starting prices... arguably starting prices are more efficient/closer to the true odds so if you can beat them then you might well be profitable on an exchange and/or can last longer at a bookies when winning from bets that aren't as obviously seeking value initially... Conversely if you bet on some odds which then proceed to shorten as you get closer to the event then it's probably a bit more of a red flag, doesn't take many bets to come to their attention or worse still if you've taken advantage of obviously bad odds etc.. (especially if it would otherwise present an arbitrage opportunity with say one of the exchanges) then that alone might be enough for them to look closely at your account.

If you were a very good handicapper you could win at the exchanges etc.. granted the edge is likely going to be slim.

Likewise the exchanges offer other ways to make money - ability to lay for example. Also "trading" in betting markets and potentially being flat before the event even starts... don't have to use them as a more efficient set of odds for outright bets.

Caporegime
I learned very quickly that even £1 on a ten fold Accra for £1k never comes in. I started putting on £5 or £10 beta on doubles or triples or bets like both teams to score and one team to win which is normally decent odds. Teams like City, United recently and Liverpool can be good value to score in both halves as well. If you know players well you can do well on bookings too.

Associate
OP
i've been playing long time but recently have not had much luck. i know other punters play different tactics and win money every week. one time i managed to scoop £3.000 from £5 stake. it was nice feeling and it made me commit to it more though losses since then have been devastating. i once came near to winning £100.000 but it let me down by a single goal. i think i played everton to win 3-0 and they won 2-0 along with three other correct scores which i got right. in the mist of all kinds of acca bets i had one long shot accumulator for 2 million which i played twice making it 4 million win if it came off. i managed to get 19 out of 21 correct games. the one which let me down was newcastle banker and another which i can't remember. since then i started believing i could do though i don't know if bookie would even pay out that kind of money if it won

Caporegime
Stop!

It's a mugs game

Even low odds lose. I was reading the silly gambling thread on here the other week. The one where you back bets with odds of 1.2

Well I did a dummy run where I picked odds at 1.02. Guess what, a good chunk lost.

The best one was a bet on a game with less than 8 goals. The odds were 1.01 so £10 bet would win 10p. The game ended 8-1

I made over a grand doing this. Stopped, after a big loss. I did split the money at the point. But still had over a £1000 in profit after it.

Associate
anyone got any experience in sports football betting and can enlightened me how to make some money. it seems i got the worst luck in the world. i bet lower stakes £5 or £10 and go for 10 fold accumulators but no matter how many times i try it always seems to give me one wrong which is driving me nuts. i though it was just a matter of time before it would come off but it just seems to follow the same trajectory every time. i tried to go for 5 fold accumulator and it's still the same. i just don't get it
10 fold is virtually impossible to get - far better just sticking with one match at a time

Associate
Use a betting exchange and green up. Lay the draw then observe the game and back and win or lose as the game progresses, not 100% certainty but it seems to yield good results.
yep, something like that is a good system - I often lay the shorter odds team Win, for HT result only (plenty of 0-0's to keep that one ticking over)

Soldato
If it's not fun, you shouldn't be doing it, problems can seriously arise from it, worst case scenario one of my friends lost his business and his home. He started out on simple £5 accumulators and ended up wasting thousands on football betting.

Soldato
As other people said don't do accumulators they are long odds for a reason. When I did it for a few weeks the way seemed to be loads of bets of really crap odds that's probably going to happen. Things like over 0.5 goals in a game, you bet £5 only get £6 back if you win but then stick it straight on the next game and so on. It wasn't fun though, constant micro management of trying to pick the best games, then placing all the best and it took up loads of time. You didn't get any 'highs' from winning as it's such a little amount and you win 9 times out of 10 and it sucked when you lost.

Back
Top Bottom