Jordan Peterson thread

Caporegime
Seems a lot of people here don't know the difference between addiction, aka a "substance misuse disorder" and physical/psychological drug dependence. The latter applies to JP not the former. He was taking the medication as prescribed and suffered adverse effects, that doesn't make him a drug addict and as he said himself if you can't take advice from someone who has never made a mistake then you will never learn anything.

Yea, he says himself he is a classic British liberal.

Classical liberalism is right wing to be fair, but nothing wrong with that. I hold the same political position, as did the founding fathers of the united states.

I have just finished reading his book and think it's fantastic, yes the basic concepts are common sense and not revelational, but that's not the intent it's about framing it in a way that applies to people in the modern world.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Damn... first it was the Spotify employees and Joe Rogan and now it's Penguin Random House employees and Jordan Peterson. These guys perhaps ahre views that others don't like (or in Rogan's case just nod along and play some slightly dumb, easy going everyman character when interviewing controversial guests) but they're hardly far right, racists/nazis etc... yey... "literally shaking" or I guess in this case "literally crying" is apparently a reaction for some simply because their employer forms a business relationship with one of them:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5b...rdan-peterson-book?utm_source=viceworldnewstw
Several Penguin Random House Canada employees confronted management about the company’s decision to publish a new book by controversial Canadian psychologist Jordan Peterson at an emotional town hall Monday, and dozens more have filed anonymous complaints, according to four workers who spoke to VICE World News.

[...]

“He is an icon of hate speech and transphobia and the fact that he’s an icon of white supremacy, regardless of the content of his book, I’m not proud to work for a company that publishes him,” a junior employee who is a member of the LGBTQ community and who attended the town hall told VICE World News.

"regardless of the content of the book"

LOL that's sort of the logic of some of the dumber posters in SC apply... I don't care what you actually said but you questioning X must mean you're supportive of Y and a bad person.

Another employee said “people were crying in the meeting about how Jordan Peterson has affected their lives.” They said one co-worker discussed how Peterson had radicalized their father and another, who is talked about how publishing the book will negatively affect their non-binary friend.

“The company since June has been doing all these anti-racist and allyship things and them publishing Peterson’s book completely goes against this. It just makes all of their previous efforts seem completely performative,” the employee added.

I can't think of many reasons to cry at work tbh... perhaps being informed of some emergency or sudden death of a relative or perhaps an unexpected redundancy if you're at a precarious point in your life etc.. but someone you don't like getting a book deal via your employer? Get a grip.. any number of people might think some of the client's their employer does business with are ****s, it's hardly a matter to start crying about in a meeting.

There is this weird notion these days that everyone much be safe and shielded from anything that might upset them... or at least so long as it isn't related to masculinity or whiteness... then any objections there fall under white fragility etc...

Last edited:
Soldato
Americans have a lot more of this to look forward to next year.

It used to be that grown adults could cope with people having different ideas and just ignored/avoided seeing/reading/hearing things that they didn’t agree with.

Soldato
The worrying thing is in 20 years time these cry babies will be in positions of power. Hopefully they all grow up and actually become tolerant.

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure a few of those employees hide in Speakers Safe Corner.

So it wasn't just me thinking that then. :D People in SC seem to think he's some sort of extremist when he pretty consistently shows classically liberal attitudes.

Jordan Peterson does not even say anything controversial, he's pretty politically moderate. The problem is that, to extremists everyone else who has an opposing view also seems like an extremist.

Soldato
So it wasn't just me thinking that then. :D People in SC seem to think he's some sort of extremist when he pretty consistently shows classically liberal attitudes.

Jordan Peterson does not even say anything controversial, he's pretty politically moderate. The problem is that, to extremists everyone else who has an opposing view also seems like an extremist.

Yeah but when that Political survey was done most of them came out as flat out Communists, they're in actuality the extremists.

Soldato
1) they’ve just added to his pre-orders
2) would pay money to see a video of their tears
3) classic Woke exhibited in the one of the quotes coming out of the story:

“He is an icon of hate speech and transphobia and the fact that he’s an icon of white supremacy, regardless of the content of his book, I’m not proud to work for a company that publishes him”

If the publisher had a spine they’d sack the lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom