• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Windows 10 default drivers for AMD 570X gives black screen

Soldato
I've got a very annoying issue where I am installing Windows 10. When it gets to the point (pre desktop) to install some form of display driver, the screen goes blank and the monitor loses signal (and my GPU fans spin up to 100% for 10 seconds).

Right fine I thought, I'll restart the windows 10 install but without an internet connection. Got to the desktop fine, connected up and then the Windows 10 automatic driver downloads (which I saw find audio drivers and a mouse driver) then it did the same thing and made the screen go black.

The only way around this I can think of is to restart in safe mode, remove all traces of AMD Windows 10 driver, disable Windows automatic driver installation, then install the right AMD drivers myself.

Unless anyone has a better way around the issue?

OK I get the exact same issue when I manually install the latest driver! Any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
we need some info

What version of windows 10(1809, 2004, 1905 etc.)?
What version of driver for GPU has been tried?
Has the win10 installation media/iso been modified?
Is default loaded in bios?
Are you running stock or oc on cpu?
What brand and model of GPU is it?

Soldato
Is the bios fully up to date?

Are the gpu power cables securely connected?

Do you have an on board GPU you can try to get everything up and running and then try and install the graphics card?

Could you try another PCI E slot?

Soldato
OP
I think I figured it out, because it works fine on a different monitor. I think windows is detecting the old screen I was using wrong and setting an incompatible resolution and refresh rate.

And then I tried another GPU, another system, same monitor and cable, and it did a similar black screen thing. I tried VGA onto the same monitor and it worked.

Might try a new cable but the good news my card isn't dead

Soldato
I think I figured it out, because it works fine on a different monitor. I think windows is detecting the old screen I was using wrong and setting an incompatible resolution and refresh rate.

And then I tried another GPU, another system, same monitor and cable, and it did a similar black screen thing. I tried VGA onto the same monitor and it worked.

Might try a new cable but the good news my card isn't dead
that's good to hear.

Try another cable and see how you get on, it could always be a dodgy port on the card so if you have another port try that as well.

Back
Top Bottom