Epic Games Store now open!

Man of Honour
I tend to buy stuff from Epic when they do their sales, that £10 off any title which then gives you another £10 off another title which then gives you £10 off another title and so on, is just too good to turn down.

Soldato
When Steam first started out with their extremely good sales it eventually had an effect on people's mentality towards price/value... the idea of "I'll just wait until it hits £5 or less in a flash deal" became a thing for many people and still is to this day...

Epic are doing a similar thing to their customer-base, only with the games being free, which is a lot less sustainable. Saw a tweet the other day plugging the Saints Row 3 remaster on Epic which is on sale, and people were replying to the tweet saying "why would we buy it on sale when you'll give it away for free eventually?". It feels like it crosses a psychological line by actually being totally free; when you know you didn't pay you feel less invested, maybe that makes you less likely to want to pick up the sequel closer to launch price. Impossible to say for sure though but the real stats on sales, freebies redeemed etc. would be so interesting to see if only Epic would allow it.

Soldato
At least with the Xbox game pass, I've read that game developers are compensated when a game is played, rather than for every download.

I assume it's the same for Epic. If you download and never play, then the developer earns nothing. I'd imagine you have to play for so many hours (demo time) before Epic compensates them.

I've got loads of free games from Epic, but only played a few. Don't think I've bought any yet. However I've got their downloader, I've used their software, and I'd have nothing against buying a game from them. Which is probably what they're trying to do.

Soldato
Soldato
Remnant: From the Ashes is currently free on epic, the expansion is only £7.

I've been wanting to try the game for ages, came close to buying it during the last Steam sale. I'm kind of glad I didn't given it's free availability so shortly afterwards, although I am very much enjoying the game so far. The main thing that had me concerned were all the claims that it was another 'Souls-like' game, but I'm not really getting that vibe so far.

Soldato
I own Hitman 1 and 2 on Steam, obviously not happy with Hitman 3 going Epic exclusive nor will I ever buy it once it leaves exclusivity.

I hope IO do something for people who don't own the first 2 games on EGS but do own them elsewhere, as my understanding is Hitman 3 will bolt on top of 1 + 2.

They've clearly been thrown a bunch of money to do it, and I don't really blame IO for taking financial security, but it's a bum deal for the players as usual.

Associate
I own Hitman 1 and 2 on Steam, obviously not happy with Hitman 3 going Epic exclusive nor will I ever buy it once it leaves exclusivity.

I hope IO do something for people who don't own the first 2 games on EGS but do own them elsewhere, as my understanding is Hitman 3 will bolt on top of 1 + 2.

They've clearly been thrown a bunch of money to do it, and I don't really blame IO for taking financial security, but it's a bum deal for the players as usual.
Your stats will be carried over from 1/2 to 3 on EGS. I read it in one of the links above. Whether it's accurate or not I don't know.

Associate
Epic and Steam aren't the same place, if you own Hitman 1 and 2 on Steam and Hitman 3 on Epic can you play all 3 levels by launching Hitman 3 on Epic? That is what is not clear to me.
That would depend on how the game works not the store. They are saying that you can import and play all locations from the trilogy in the new game. It will be the same for consoles anyway as most will have moved from PS4 to PS5 etc.whether this is true or not I don't know.

Caporegime
OP
They might require you to sign up for an IOI.dk account (which nets you some extra outfits in the game anyway) so they can verify you own the maps for Hitman 1+2. Then just give you them when you play Hitman 3 elsewhere. Might work for Steam > Epic but not likely for Steam > console, which is my route. :(

Back
Top Bottom