Recommend a 5.25" to USB External Caddy?

Associate
I've got a 5.25" optical drive that I use quite regularly to rip DVDs and BluRays, but I've just switched to a Mini ITX case without a slot. So I'm in need of an external caddy; there's plenty of Chinese products, or adapaters with questionable claims regarding powering a 5.25" optical drive. Can anyone recommend a quality brand or specific external caddy for a full-size 5.25" optical drive, ideally USB 3.0?

Associate
The OWC one is probably the one that is best in terms of build quality, but not all BluRay drives for in it - My Pioneer BDR-207EBK doesn't fit, for example as it has a maximum internal size of 1780mm, so check the spec sheets before ordering

Associate
I'd recommend trying to find a Vantec NST-536S3-B as it's the only 5.25" caddy that I've found so far that works properly with my optical drives. Only downside with it is that it comes with a US psu, but it's compatible with 230v, and you can find compatible psus for it elsewhere.

Associate
I'd recommend trying to find a Vantec NST-536S3-B as it's the only 5.25" caddy that I've found so far that works properly with my optical drives. Only downside with it is that it comes with a US psu, but it's compatible with 230v, and you can find compatible psus for it elsewhere.

Thank you for that suggestion, i've just had a quick look at its spec sheet and it will fit my Pioneer drive as it states that its maximum internal depth is 1850mm :) can I ask what are the electrical requirements of the PSU so I can start searching for one of those with a UK plug please?

Associate
Thank you for that suggestion, i've just had a quick look at its spec sheet and it will fit my Pioneer drive as it states that its maximum internal depth is 1850mm :) can I ask what are the electrical requirements of the PSU so I can start searching for one of those with a UK plug please?
The original psu is CD Model CP1220, accepts 100-240v, 50/60mhz at 0.5a for input, and outputs 12v at 2a, and has the positive in the tip. When I was searching for a UK replacement, I just searched for "CP1220 GM" and found one for £10.99. The PSU I received is a DSS28-1202000-C, and has the same plug and output as the included one.

Another PSU you could look for is the CS-1202000, which came with another Vantec sata adapter I have. Inputs and outputs are mostly the same as the first, except it allows up to a max of 1.5a on the input.

Associate
The original psu is CD Model CP1220, accepts 100-240v, 50/60mhz at 0.5a for input, and outputs 12v at 2a, and has the positive in the tip. When I was searching for a UK replacement, I just searched for "CP1220 GM" and found one for £10.99. The PSU I received is a DSS28-1202000-C, and has the same plug and output as the included one.

Another PSU you could look for is the CS-1202000, which came with another Vantec sata adapter I have. Inputs and outputs are mostly the same as the first, except it allows up to a max of 1.5a on the input.

Thank you, I have a spare modem/router plug from a Zyxel device that outputs 12v at 2a, so that might do it as the only difference is a max of 0.8a on the input

Soldato
I just tried my rainforest cheap ide/Sata converter and it works for my retired Sata drive and the 5.25in sh-203b dvd-Rw. it’s just the bare minimum of rework cables, one having the Sata/ide adapter in the middle. Very handy.

Associate
I've got a 5.25" optical drive that I use quite regularly to rip DVDs and BluRays, but I've just switched to a Mini ITX case without a slot. So I'm in need of an external caddy; there's plenty of Chinese products, or adapaters with questionable claims regarding powering a 5.25" optical drive. Can anyone recommend a quality brand or specific external caddy for a full-size 5.25" optical drive, ideally USB 3.0?
Did you get one in the end?
I am currently looking for one and can't seem to find one that is both decent quality and in stock.

Associate
OP
Did you get one in the end?
I am currently looking for one and can't seem to find one that is both decent quality and in stock.
I forgot all about this thread; independently though I ordered the OWC Mercury Pro. Annoyingly I didn't check the compatible lengths as my optical drive is too long to fit properly; but it works regardless, a little bit more than I was wanting to spend though.

Associate
OWC Mercury Pro 5.25" Optical Drive External Enclosure (add your own 5.25" optical drive) is mean't to be decent.

Because of the price I decided to buy a E-Sata + Molex PCI adapter all i need is molex to sata power and sata cable and hey presto!

Back
Top Bottom