Gaming PC £4-£5k

Associate
Hi everyone!

My friend is really close to buy a new PC as the other custom build he had is not in service for the 3rd time and I advised him to use OCUK now.

These are the main specs from the "old" PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X water cooled
MOBO: Asus Crosshair VIII HERO
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO DDR4 3200MHZ
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti - water cooled.
SSD: 1TB Samsung 860QVQ and 1TB Samsung 960 EVO (M2)
PSU: Corsair 850W RMx Series 80 Plus Gold.
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos C700M

Budget is £4-£5k. He wants AMD CPU (maybe 3900XT) and 2080ti GPU. He only needs this for gaming - 1440p 165hz monitor. He also likes RGB for those extra fps. :)

Maybe something like this could work?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...s3?0UbNSt3?1_bNSA3?21bNSB3?2*bNSC3?2!bNSD3?3;

Cheers!

Soldato
W...wh...why? Just why? :D That's the most horrendously spec'd and overpriced monstrosity I've seen in a while.

3900XT waste of money, go for 3900X if really wants top end CPU for gaming (or even Intel if he really wants to burn money). But at this price point I guess what's another £20-30 getting the XT lol.

Splashing that sorta cash, especially on a 2080 Ti right now is ludicrous. Nvidia are due to launch their next-gen GPUs next month that will perform much better. Can he wait?

You could build a top end PC for £2k region tbh. Does he really wanna splash £4-5k on aesthetics and crazy overpriced components? Guess a chunk of the cost is also the full custom water loop but still, geez... :p

Man of Honour
Like Sparx has suggested, I'd put 2K on a solid base now and keep the rest for upgrades. There's no graphics card that can consistently handle that resolution and refresh rate in the latest games, so the next generation could be well worth waiting for.

Associate
OP
He ordered the previous PC without telling me and he got that absolute unit of a case that is so overpriced. He spent the same amount of money on that one.
I know that some components are overkill on price but he wants the best. The price difference between 3900X and 3900XT is small.

He was ready to get this one even though it has an INTEL CPU, but I told him to wait. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pac...hz-ddr4-extreme-overclocked-pc-fs-003-8p.html

I'm trying to convince him to wait one more month or so, but it might be hard as he has no PC at the moment and being stuck at home without one sucks.

Thanks.

Soldato
He ordered the previous PC without telling me and he got that absolute unit of a case that is so overpriced. He spent the same amount of money on that one.
I know that some components are overkill on price but he wants the best. The price difference between 3900X and 3900XT is small.

He was ready to get this one even though it has an INTEL CPU, but I told him to wait. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pac...hz-ddr4-extreme-overclocked-pc-fs-003-8p.html

I'm trying to convince him to wait one more month or so, but it might be hard as he has no PC at the moment and being stuck at home without one sucks.

Thanks.

Just trying to figure this out.

He has a PC that currently has a water cooled 3900X and 2080 Ti and wants to buy a PC with a 3900XT and a 2080 Ti?

There won’t be any difference in FPS? They’re literally the same parts - 3900 XT is a higher binned part due to manufacturing process improvements and so can, in some circumstances, maintain SLIGHTLy (1-2% at a push) higher boost clocks, but typically performs identically.

Soldato
Wait, what, he already HAS the 3900X / 2080 Ti rig mentioned in your OP? There's nothing to upgrade too then right now... :confused:

Just tell him to wait til mid/late next month, Nvidia release their new top end GPU and he can burnhismoney buy that on release. :D

If he wants to donate the 2080 Ti after, drop him my contact info please. :)

Associate
OP
Wait, what, he already HAS the 3900X / 2080 Ti rig mentioned in your OP? There's nothing to upgrade too then right now... :confused:

Just tell him to wait til mid/late next month, Nvidia release their new top end GPU and he can burnhismoney buy that on release. :D

If he wants to donate the 2080 Ti after, drop him my contact info please. :)

Yes, he bought that PC from a different place but he had to send it to service 3 times. First time the pump died, then the GPU died and the last thing was that the performance of the GPU was abysmal. So he is kinda sick of them and he requested a refund.

Due to an accident few years ago, he got paralyzed from waist down so having a PC and playing games it's a nice thing to have. He got used to that performance and he wants the same or better. :)

Soldato
Yes, he bought that PC from a different place but he had to send it to service 3 times. First time the pump died, then the GPU died and the last thing was that the performance of the GPU was abysmal. So he is kinda sick of them and he requested a refund.

Due to an accident few years ago, he got paralyzed from waist down so having a PC and playing games it's a nice thing to have. He got used to that performance and he wants the same or better. :)

Ah right I understand now, so he wants them to take it back for a refund due to the repeat issues. Then he purchases a similar system elsewhere...

Does he need the whole custom water loop etc? If I had that money to splash, I'd just spend ~£2k for now on the below system with a 2070 Super. More than good enough for 1440p for now. You can ask OcUK to build it for him. They charge usually around £100 odd, just ask in the private Customer Service subforum for a quote if did something like this.

Then next month when Nvidia's next-gen GPUs drop, buy the top-end model of that. Otherwise you'd more than likely lose so much more money re-selling a 2080 Ti after next month when new cards are out...

Same CPU just overclocked more, faster RAM, same 2TB NVMe SSD capacity, just an inferior GPU but not by much in the grand scheme of it. Feels wrong calling the same GPU I play on inferior when it plays 1440p for me so well, geez. :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,952.83 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
Sparx, you are bang on with that line up, wrong time to spend the cash suggested.

Or better still, buy your suggested and then with the 2k left over, keep the coin till next year and spend the 2k again on another rig :)

Soldato
SSD: 1TB Samsung 860QVQ and 1TB Samsung 960 EVO (M2)
Both something what shouldn't be found from that crazy expensive PC and substandard already for PC half the price:
860 QVO is QLC Flash drive with native uncached continuous write speed slower than in 10 year old spinning rust.
(870 QVO even worser overall)
And 960 Evo is have no idea how old and outdated model shop probably grabbed from not wanted by anyone pile.

If reliability is goal, which would be sensible considering his condition, heatpipe cooler would be surer choise:
Only thing which can fail in them is fan and its failure doesn't kill all cooling.

Associate
buying a 2080ti now will just make you cry in a cpl months, your spec is a great choice, tho i agree with the above you could just go 3600 then grab a 4000 series later down the line if he wants

my main change (personal preference) would be to put a bigger psu on the list, im a big believer in an over spec'd psu, id throw down some extra cash and put a 1200w in there, i like to know its not close to its max use, that it will run without really needing the fan, keeps the volts stable
im not going to say its rational, iv just seen too many issues come back to saving a little money on a psu quality or watts

Soldato
buying a 2080ti now will just make you cry in a cpl months, your spec is a great choice, tho i agree with the above you could just go 3600 then grab a 4000 series later down the line if he wants

my main change (personal preference) would be to put a bigger psu on the list, im a big believer in an over spec'd psu, id throw down some extra cash and put a 1200w in there, i like to know its not close to its max use, that it will run without really needing the fan, keeps the volts stable
im not going to say its rational, iv just seen too many issues come back to saving a little money on a psu quality or watts

Disagree on the psu. A 1200W would be a huge waste of money. A 650W is more than enough. Also higher wattage doesn't equal a quieter psu.

Associate
Seems awfully overpriced for what it is.
Ah right I understand now, so he wants them to take it back for a refund due to the repeat issues. Then he purchases a similar system elsewhere...

Does he need the whole custom water loop etc? If I had that money to splash, I'd just spend ~£2k for now on the below system with a 2070 Super. More than good enough for 1440p for now. You can ask OcUK to build it for him. They charge usually around £100 odd, just ask in the private Customer Service subforum for a quote if did something like this.

Then next month when Nvidia's next-gen GPUs drop, buy the top-end model of that. Otherwise you'd more than likely lose so much more money re-selling a 2080 Ti after next month when new cards are out...

Same CPU just overclocked more, faster RAM, same 2TB NVMe SSD capacity, just an inferior GPU but not by much in the grand scheme of it. Feels wrong calling the same GPU I play on inferior when it plays 1440p for me so well, geez. :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,952.83 (includes shipping: £0.00)
Now that is money better spent. Though you could go for the 3900X and save the £80.

Back
Top Bottom