New MBP 13"

Man of Honour
Completely agree MacOS is streets ahead of Windows. Let's just hope they don't dumb it down too much merging MacOS and iOS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Worth buying a MBP soon if you're intending to virtualise as the rumours are getting stronger that the first Apple Silicon models will be the MBP and/or MBA.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Worth buying a MBP soon if you're intending to virtualise as the rumours are getting stronger that the first Apple Silicon models will be the MBP and/or MBA.

Tim has said there are some Intel releases still in the pipeline, so I think for now you are safe.

The 16" MBP has been discounted recently which leads me to believe a refresh is coming with 10th gen. Performance won't be bumped much but they may address a number of small issues hopefully making it a solid buy.

Associate
Very tempted by the new 13" machines as my late-2013 13" rMBP is definitely showing its age now. Not for browsing and everyday stuff, but I'm a software developer and using it with a heavy IDE like IntelliJ is taxing, and compliation takes an age.

The problem I have with justifying the purchase to myself is that I don't actually need a laptop for work any more, as I'm currently 100% remote working, which doesn't look like changing anytime soon, and I built a pretty powerful ryzen workstation with linux on it for doing the serious stuff. And now there's the upcoming ARM switch, which I like (break the x86 monoculture!) but I'm not sure I want to be an early adopter of a change that huge, and I do use virtualisation... Hmmm.

Soldato
I'm actually very interested in getting rid of my gaming PC in favour of a switch to the 13 inch MBP. However, the cheaper models being old 8th Gen really annoys me. Although with the promise of ARM based chips at the end of the year, I think I'll wait. They could really be something.

Soldato
I'm not liking what I'm seeing about Bootcamp on ARM. I've since noticed there are a couple of programs/games that I really don't want to lose that need windows... so I've caved and bought the 10th Gen i5 powered 13" MBP, which I'll be picking up later on. Rather excited.

Soldato
I'm not liking what I'm seeing about Bootcamp on ARM. I've since noticed there are a couple of programs/games that I really don't want to lose that need windows... so I've caved and bought the 10th Gen i5 powered 13" MBP, which I'll be picking up later on. Rather excited.

Yeah, grab the latest Intel macs if you want Windows. Even if ARM Windows becomes a big thing and we get eventually bootcamp into ARM Windows, the old Windows programs/games won't be ported to ARM.

There will however be third-party emulation of x86 VMs running x86 version of Windows, but won't be as smooth as running x86 Windows through Bootcamp.

Soldato
Yeah, that's exactly it. Whilst I am very excited to see just what is going to be possible with the ARM-powered Macbooks, I'd also like to not be an early adopter, as that's when the issues can often come to light too. I've only had about ten minutes of playing with this machine, but so far, I'm incredibly happy. I don't like the noise the trackpad click makes, as it sounds 'tinny' almost. However, the design and build are stunning. I rather like this touch bar, plus TouchID integration! :D

Soldato
Yeah, if you need bootcamp support I'd grab an Intel Mac as support for Windows on the new ARM devices is likely to be problematic IMO.

At the same time if you don't need Windows comparability I'd definitely wait for the new ARM devices as they're likely to offer a major leap in performance/battery and the ability to run ios apps could be pretty useful.

I'm also a bit nervous how long and well Apple will support Intel devices. I can see Intel Mac's ending up as second tier devices in a couple of years time when it comes to app support and new features.

Soldato
I'm also a bit nervous how long and well Apple will support Intel devices. I can see Intel Mac's ending up as second tier devices in a couple of years time when it comes to app support and new features.

They'll probably release 4-5 years of MacOS for the Intel ones from this point. Universal binary helps maintain app compatibility for a good while. But yeah, no doubt that at some point they'll be second tier devices.

Soldato
They'll probably release 4-5 years of MacOS for the Intel ones from this point. Universal binary helps maintain app compatibility for a good while. But yeah, no doubt that at some point they'll be second tier devices.
The issue could be when it comes to resale value. I upgraded from my 2017 mpb13 to a 16 this year and still got £720 for my 13 which after 3 years was pretty decent. If in 5-6 year's time when I, and many others, will want to sell on their 2019/2020 units and Apple have pretty much abandoned their intel models, I can't see there being much of a market.

Soldato
The issue could be when it comes to resale value. I upgraded from my 2017 mpb13 to a 16 this year and still got £720 for my 13 which after 3 years was pretty decent. If in 5-6 year's time when I, and many others, will want to sell on their 2019/2020 units and Apple have pretty much abandoned their intel models, I can't see there being much of a market.

It all depends on how things turn out. There could be a huge market for people who really need x86 and want a MacBook. Or it could be virtually non-existent.

Soldato
I guess it also depends if there's software that people want that doesn't become compatible with future machines too. They'll be forced for a while to continue using the current machines and if they break, they'll need to replace with one that's pre-ARM.

Soldato
I guess it also depends if there's software that people want that doesn't become compatible with future machines too. They'll be forced for a while to continue using the current machines and if they break, they'll need to replace with one that's pre-ARM.

Yeah, this is big for businesses who use Macbooks and rely on custom or small software that can't easily be replaced.

Well, until emulated x86 performance on Apple Silicon becomes faster than existing x86 Macbooks, buts that's a least a couple of years away.

Back
Top Bottom