Motorway advice

Associate
Good afternoon everyone
I’m after some advice if that’s ok , so I passed my driving test three years ago and just missed the new regulations for learners driving on motorways so because of driving anxiety I haven’t driven on motorways before but in September I’m having to drive from Northampton down to Kent I’m freaking out about this trip I have been told to use the M40 then the M25 then M26 M20 then someone else said to use the M1 I will be travelling on a Friday and thought maybe early morning would be better as I’ve never driven motorways before but any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Soldato
Motorways aren’t as scary as they first seem. Stick to the left and stay with the pace of traffic. If you’re overtaking use your indicators, pop out-overtake-pop back to the left lane.

Ideally give a local instructor a ring and get a couple of lessons. It’ll be invaluable for you.

Soldato
Don't hog the fast lane, don't undertake, don't crash, if you crash don't die..

Motorways are safer, be scared of normal roads

Was tired on the motorway, pulled into services to sleep had a dream I was driving stil and drempt I fell asleep.. Woke up In the car grabbed the steering wheel hit the breaks braced for crash... Took a few seconds to realise the car was stationary.. That was scared...

Soldato
Keep left unless overtaking.
Use the slip road to get your speed up, don't try and merge at 40mph.
If you're getting overtaken by coaches and lorries, you're going too slow.

Soldato
Be aware of the closing speeds of other traffic and don't pull out in front of people if you're going slowly, equally don't tailgate if you're going too fast. Just aim for 70 all the way. And pay attention to the overhead signs, dont drive under a red x and keep to the overhead limits as some gantries have cameras. Its pretty relaxing sometimes, if you're not relaxing just breathe a bit, back off from the car in front and focus on chilling out.

Soldato
The big, big question is: Have you driven on dual carriageways?

if you have, there is absolutely nothing to be worried about. The experience and what you need to do is pretty much identical. You can be assured that your anxiety is just fear of the unknown.

If you haven't done that either, then booking a couple of lessons would be a decent idea to put your mind at rest.

If you're worried about the navigation aspect, then as long as you're paying attention it is very easy. Signage is prolific.

Associate
OP
Motorways aren’t as scary as they first seem. Stick to the left and stay with the pace of traffic. If you’re overtaking use your indicators, pop out-overtake-pop back to the left lane.

Ideally give a local instructor a ring and get a couple of lessons. It’ll be invaluable for you.
I've moved this to our motors forum where people are more sympathetic than GD.

Associate
Good afternoon everyone
I’m after some advice if that’s ok , so I passed my driving test three years ago and just missed the new regulations for learners driving on motorways so because of driving anxiety I haven’t driven on motorways before but in September I’m having to drive from Northampton down to Kent I’m freaking out about this trip I have been told to use the M40 then the M25 then M26 M20 then someone else said to use the M1 I will be travelling on a Friday and thought maybe early morning would be better as I’ve never driven motorways before but any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you
Motorways can be dangerous. If you aren't confident, I'm sure you can get some lessons, rather than chancing it.

Soldato
I know women tend to be scared of motorways but really they're pretty easy you're all heading the same direction theres almost no lights, junctions or traffic coming towards you to worry about. Just point it ahead and follow everyone else. Stay in the inside lane and only overtake if you feel comfortable and always always use your mirrors before pulling out.

Back
Top Bottom