Display doesn't show BIOS but HDMI does

Associate
Weird issue.
I've got a new motherboard and I can only see the bios when using HDMI, not displayport.
However once it gets to Windows then displayport works fine.

Kinda annoying and i'm not sure why?

Soldato
Odd, maybe the monitor doesn't "wake up" quick enough via displayport?

Perhaps try loading into BIOS when you've got HDMI on and then swap into displayport to see if you still have output?

Or mash the DEL / F2 button whilst booting with displayport regardless?

Associate
OP
It worked fine with my previous motherboard which makes me think it's motherboard related.

It's a dual screen setup. One displayport, one hdmi. Neither show when displayport in. Hdmi shows when displayport out.
Previously this worked fine.

I'll try swapping cables like you said to see what happens

Associate
OP
Sorry for the multiple replies to myself.

Running "NVIDIA GRAPHICS FIRMWARE UPDATE TOOL FOR DISPLAYPORT 1.3 AND 1.4 DISPLAYS" fixed it.

Being in CRM mode instead of uefi must have made it work previously.

For reference I'm running a Nvidia 1070.

Associate
This is happening to me also, assumed due to my GPU which is a 780ti.. this fix doesn't apply to my card annoyingly, although it applies to lower end cards.

Associate
OP
Did you download the tool to see whether it recognises your card as requiring an upgrade? You can can cancel before it does anything.

I believe it edits and flashes the part of your firmware that manages displayport but only after it validates your card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Did you download the tool to see whether it recognises your card as requiring an upgrade? You can can cancel before it does anything.

I believe it edits and flashes the part of your firmware that manages displayport but only after it validates your card.
I did, says my card isn’t compatible.. Oh well, I’ll be getting a new one soon anyway.

Soldato
Weird issue.
I've got a new motherboard and I can only see the bios when using HDMI, not displayport.
However once it gets to Windows then displayport works fine.

Kinda annoying and i'm not sure why?

I have exactly the same issue, didn't even realise it until I went to review BIOS settings several weeks after I swapped monitor
Windows works fine, but booting into BIOS simple displays a flashing cursor
I don't have an nvidia card, I've an Rx 580.
On a x570 tomahawk , advice please as I don't have another monitor to swap to easily.

Anything people would suggest?

Associate
OP
I have exactly the same issue, didn't even realise it until I went to review BIOS settings several weeks after I swapped monitor
Windows works fine, but booting into BIOS simple displays a flashing cursor
I don't have an nvidia card, I've an Rx 580.
On a x570 tomahawk , advice please as I don't have another monitor to swap to easily.
Anything people would suggest?

Use a HDMI cable instead of displayport maybe

Soldato
Have the same issue except its the hdmi which only works 1 in 10 times for BIOS/POST, loads fine once Windows starts. Zotac 1070ti Asus X570-P. Old 6570 AMD card shows POST and BIOS 100% of the time via HDMI. I just plonk it into the 2nd pcie slot temporarily if i need to do something in BIOS but rarely do.

Back
Top Bottom