what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
I'm interested to see what you think of the open X, from what I've heard about them they are meant to be really good especially balanced on a monolith liquid platinum.

These were the standard Aeon open, I found them quite warm, a bit dull, good resolution, dynamics okay, but of zing in the treble, tuning filters help the treble but make them super dull, overdamped; nice mids nice timbre and amazing comfort and build. Work best as a complimentary phone in my opinion.

The Aeon X I'd be tempted to order when they drop again as I really did enoy the comfort of the Aeon but the sound didn't really wow me or scream a must buy, they remind me of the Oppo PM-1 in some ways.

Last edited:
Associate
I really admire how many headphones you get through!
I don't! Wished I left the hobby ages ago sometimes haha. I spent so much time looking for an LCD-2 that matched one magical set I heard years ago it sucked the fun out. These I got on loan for a few days to try. I tend to focus on coding and my PC rig and my guitar playing and my annoying expensive kids these days but if a set of headphones comes along that has great comfort and sound it would get my interest, the Aeon wasn't really that complete package for me.

Soldato
These were the standard Aeon open, I found them quite warm, a bit dull, good resolution, dynamics okay, but of zing in the treble, tuning filters help the treble but make them super dull, overdamped; nice mids nice timbre and amazing comfort and build. Work best as a complimentary phone in my opinion.

The Aeon X I'd be tempted to order when they drop again as I really did enoy the comfort of the Aeon but the sound didn't really wow me or scream a must buy, they remind me of the Oppo PM-1 in some ways.
Ah yeah I’ve heard that about the regular aeon opens, the x and rt versions are supposed to be a lot better in that regard and much more lively.
Have you tried out sundaras yet? I just got a pair in on Saturday.

Soldato
I don't! Wished I left the hobby ages ago sometimes haha. I spent so much time looking for an LCD-2 that matched one magical set I heard years ago it sucked the fun out. These I got on loan for a few days to try. I tend to focus on coding and my PC rig and my guitar playing and my annoying expensive kids these days but if a set of headphones comes along that has great comfort and sound it would get my interest, the Aeon wasn't really that complete package for me.

It was your damn Verum Ones towards the start of lockdown that set me on this path - I've spent thousands since :D (and I still love the Verum, insane value for money). I figured if I didn't go 'balls deep' straight away I'll do what I usually do, spend years buying various sets in the "middling" price range of £500-1500 range only to find myself purchasing somewhere in the higher end later. So I went straight to it lol. Thought I'd skip the middle bit and save myself the money & hassle. I find myself extremely content!!

Associate
It was your damn Verum Ones towards the start of lockdown that set me on this path - I've spent thousands since :D (and I still love the Verum, insane value for money). I figured if I didn't go 'balls deep' straight away I'll do what I usually do, spend years buying various sets in the "middling" price range of £500-1500 range only to find myself purchasing somewhere in the higher end later. So I went straight to it lol. Thought I'd skip the middle bit and save myself the money & hassle. I find myself extremely content!!

Haha, yeah the Verums will have that effect. They're solid headphones, probably the best value there is along with the HD650. It's easy to get caught into midfi hell side grading so you've done the better thing going Verum then fowards. My problem is I just love tech so just love trying different stuff although I did go through a ton of HD650's and Audeze phones. I'm tempted to give the Aeon open 2 a go, if it sounds okay I'll stick with it until something new and interesting comes out, comfort is bloody important to me now as I can spend hours at my desk working, gaming etc.

Ah yeah I’ve heard that about the regular aeon opens, the x and rt versions are supposed to be a lot better in that regard and much more lively.
Have you tried out sundaras yet? I just got a pair in on Saturday.

I see how it's looking for the next Aeon Drop! The Sundaras I thought were okay, a bit lean, bright so not to my taste but I thought they were good for those you don't mind that type of sound. Resolution I thought was decent enough, somewhere in-between the HE-400i and HE-500

Associate
Currently own AKG K702, Fidelio X2

Wanting something new, should I get the HD600/HD650 or maybe a new amp?

I am using D2X and O2 Amp.

Any advice peeps?
HD650 with good OTC or OTL is fantastic.

Good amps for the HD650 are

Sonnet 2
Elise
Crack + SB
Eddie Current Jnr/Bues Mini
Valhalla 2
Icon HP8

If on a budget

Vali 2 with NOS
DarkVoice if you like warmth.

Getting a new amp for the 702 is a waste in my opinion, they don't scale that great to be beneficial. X2 even less so.

Soldato
Haha, yeah the Verums will have that effect. They're solid headphones, probably the best value there is along with the HD650. It's easy to get caught into midfi hell side grading so you've done the better thing going Verum then fowards. My problem is I just love tech so just love trying different stuff although I did go through a ton of HD650's and Audeze phones. I'm tempted to give the Aeon open 2 a go, if it sounds okay I'll stick with it until something new and interesting comes out, comfort is bloody important to me now as I can spend hours at my desk working, gaming etc.

Sitting at my desk all day every day doing similar was partly my rationale too ha. It helped that I got amazing deals on the ones I did end up buying so I won't feel so bad had I decided they are not for me and sell on.

With the Focal's I worry about wearing the pads out because they are insanely expensive to replace so I still stick with my trusted k712 pro for gaming!!

Associate
Sitting at my desk all day every day doing similar was partly my rationale too ha. It helped that I got amazing deals on the ones I did end up buying so I won't feel so bad had I decided they are not for me and sell on.

With the Focal's I worry about wearing the pads out because they are insanely expensive to replace so I still stick with my trusted k712 pro for gaming!!
Which Focals do you have? I like the AKG's for gaming, they respond well to DSP and they're prob the only headphone I've heard(with dsp) that can emulate an open space convincingly. I've been using the 701 for gaming, can't stand em for music though! Ear pads these days are getting ridiculous, think nearly every headphones I've owned has been 50-100 quid for the ear pads, it's mental.

I've got a set of Aeon Open 2's coming for me to try out, quite curious if they've improved some issues I found with the Aeon.

Associate
HD650 with good OTC or OTL is fantastic.

Good amps for the HD650 are

Sonnet 2
Elise
Crack + SB
Eddie Current Jnr/Bues Mini
Valhalla 2
Icon HP8

If on a budget

Vali 2 with NOS
DarkVoice if you like warmth.

Getting a new amp for the 702 is a waste in my opinion, they don't scale that great to be beneficial. X2 even less so.

Thanks Ryan!

Soldato
Which Focals do you have? I like the AKG's for gaming, they respond well to DSP and they're prob the only headphone I've heard(with dsp) that can emulate an open space convincingly. I've been using the 701 for gaming, can't stand em for music though! Ear pads these days are getting ridiculous, think nearly every headphones I've owned has been 50-100 quid for the ear pads, it's mental.

I've got a set of Aeon Open 2's coming for me to try out, quite curious if they've improved some issues I found with the Aeon.

I have both the Focal Utopia and Focal Stellia. The Focal Utopia is just incredible. The clarity and detail is amazing and the frequency response is quite neutral. Sound stage isn't huge but imaging is excellent. Anything with guitars, acoustics and vocals sound unmatched, like you've hit the summit with these. I can't imagine anything better, honestly. They do require a fully quiet room though to fully appreciate it. Not particularly possible if my girlfriend is watching netflix in the background or I've got the fan on due to heat etc.

Those occasions only really come about late at night for me. So the other pair I've got is the Focal Stellia as my closed back. If I could only have one pair of headphones in the world and be content for life, these would be it. Sound wise they are very similar to the Utopia in many ways but has a slight added bit of warmth to it in comparison. It's an incredible 'all rounder' pair for me, excels at every genre and that's why if I could only keep one, this would be it.

Associate
116584163_736099060487300_2136013194990903045_o.jpg

Associate
Excuse the massive picture, Jesus christ. these are very very laid back, almost too much switching over from an Audeze. Treble is dark, smooth-ish, mid bassy, lush, beautiful vocals. Take a HD650, add more mid bass, more warmth, less 5k peak, less snap, leading edge, Oppo PM-1 like more so than the previous Aeon. The older Aeon had this edge in the treble, these don't. The male voice is powerful, female voices sound lush, smooth, no edge. Early impressions are, on the fence. What I can see being good about these is hearing more into the music due to the comfort and the comfortable sound. I'll see how I feel about these later. Beautiful build though, Dan knows how to make something look good and comfortable, like an Apple Product.

Associate
I have both the Focal Utopia and Focal Stellia. The Focal Utopia is just incredible. The clarity and detail is amazing and the frequency response is quite neutral. Sound stage isn't huge but imaging is excellent. Anything with guitars, acoustics and vocals sound unmatched, like you've hit the summit with these. I can't imagine anything better, honestly. They do require a fully quiet room though to fully appreciate it. Not particularly possible if my girlfriend is watching netflix in the background or I've got the fan on due to heat etc.

Those occasions only really come about late at night for me. So the other pair I've got is the Focal Stellia as my closed back. If I could only have one pair of headphones in the world and be content for life, these would be it. Sound wise they are very similar to the Utopia in many ways but has a slight added bit of warmth to it in comparison. It's an incredible 'all rounder' pair for me, excels at every genre and that's why if I could only keep one, this would be it.
The Utopia awesome, it isn't to my taste as I love lush and warm but it's so impressive, I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. I used to own the LCD-4 and when I bought it the Utopia was something I was considering. I slightly prefer the Focal Clear which wasn't as resolving but had a FR similar to what I like. Focal have been smashing it these last few years.

Associate
i bet those are stunning quality
i run the akg 702, im happy with them tbh, but they are getting old now and im in the mood for something new soon, but i cant go that high end :(
i use focal speakers which i love, but im proberly going to go for an open cup shure pair next, no idea which

Associate
@Ryanr1987 What’s your opinion of the Hifiman Sundara? (Assuming you’ve tried them)

Looking at getting this to pair with my existing Schiit Magni 3 Heresy.
It's a good headphone, a bit bright, nice extension at both ends it's my least fav current Hifiman but that's factoring in next Hifiman phone up is the Ananda which is a solid headphone and more to my taste than the Sundara. If you like a brighter headphone with a tinie tiny bit of aggression go for it.

Soldato
Anyone using a Mayflower Arc? I've been looking at them recently. Is the MK2 much better than the Mk1? What sort of price should I look to pay for a second hand item?

Edit: Backed out of the bidding due to issues I read about.

Still interested in it in the future but probably the Mk2.
Are there any other decent DAC/AMPs that have a separate headphone and mic jack. I like dthe look of Schiit fulla or Hel but believe they can drive up to 300ohm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom