• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You can already get a Ryzen 8 core new for under £200 easily if 1700/1800/2700 fit the bill - so at some point in a few years I can see a Ryzen 4000 series 8 core selling for that. Maybe 3000 series 8 core (new retail) will be under £200 in the next 12 months?

I plan on getting a 4000 CPU pretty cheap about the time the 5000 stuff releases.

Caporegime
You should have bought that 3600 for £140. Shame it was only available in your head :p
Do you want me to dig out the numerous posts from you (a while back) telling me the 3600 was available at £150? A few months ago - you can't have forgotten.

Prices seem to be on the rise atm, but it was £150 not so very long ago.

Soldato
Do you want me to dig out the numerous posts from you (a while back) telling me the 3600 was available at £150? A few months ago - you can't have forgotten.

Prices seem to be on the rise atm, but it was £150 not so very long ago.

You should have just taken the advice 6-9 months ago and bought one.

Caporegime
You should have just taken the advice 6-9 months ago and bought one.
It's been £150 for a looooong time since then. I didn't buy one because I don't want one haha.

It's not worth buying anything less than 8 core and that's going to be more and more true in the next 12 months. 6 core is going to struggle like 4 core does today.

But anyhow, since the 3600 was £150 not so very long ago, I don't think ~£200 (give or take) is unreasonable for 8 core. Not that I expect it to be any less than £300, but hope springs eternal. Even £350 is possible if AMD wins back the gaming crown.

Not that I care that much anyhow. Have less and less time for gaming every passing day. The 2500k soldiers on.

Man of Honour
It's been £150 for a looooong time since then. I didn't buy one because I don't want one haha.

It's not worth buying anything less than 8 core and that's going to be more and more true in the next 12 months. 6 core is going to struggle like 4 core does today.

But anyhow, since the 3600 was £150 not so very long ago, I don't think ~£200 (give or take) is unreasonable for 8 core. Not that I expect it to be any less than £300, but hope springs eternal. Even £350 is possible if AMD wins back the gaming crown.

Not that I care that much anyhow. Have less and less time for gaming every passing day. The 2500k soldiers on.

I'm not convinced, I don't believe the 3600 will struggle in the next 12 months, I don't really think it will struggle in the next 2 years. I may be wrong but I think it has a good few years in it yet before it starts to choke. I probably would have agreed with you a few months back but I recently replaced a 2700x with a 3600 and they perform basically the same in everything bar gaming where the 3600 has a comfortable lead, the 3600 also just feels more snappy than the 2700x did. So in my opinion which probably doesn't stand for much, when the 2700x starts to struggle so will the 3600 and we have a good while until that happens.

Soldato
I'm not convinced, I don't believe the 3600 will struggle in the next 12 months, I don't really think it will struggle in the next 2 years
I would agree as we're only just at the point where quad cores are starting to struggle so I think 6 cores will be good for atleast a couple of years yet.

Man of Honour
I would agree as we're only just at the point where quad cores are starting to struggle so I think 6 cores will be good for atleast a couple of years yet.

And I'm a core snob, more is clearly better :D in my personal rig (not my wifes in the post above) I just wouldn't stand for anything less than at least 16 cores / 32 threads or more. To be honest i'm blown away by just how good the 3600 is for the low price I paid for it. When I think my processor cost a cool £1000 and I only spent £136 on her chip it's astonishing value for money given how it performs.

Caporegime
Hopefully the existence of next gen consoles with 8c/16t CPUs will push that price down.

As with GPUs, when you can get a whole system for £400-£500 (console), and a CPU + mobo of equivalent spec is £450+ for just two components...

Well it's hard to justify the latter unless you own your own bank.

Would be nice to see a bit of progress. Ie 8c replacing 6c in the mid-range.

Can a console even do 5% of the things a pc can do?

£500 isn't a lot of money.

Hell £5000 isn't a lot of money these days either.

Also inflation called. There is no way you are getting 8 cores and 16 threads for £200. Not until AM5 at least. So pointless even thinking about it or discussing it.

The way I see it is. How much enjoyment do I get out of it and spread the cost over the hours of enjoyment.

That tells me if it's worth buying. Consoles are a poor comparison they aren't on the same level and they don't have anywhere near the same size of catalogue as steam.

Caporegime
And I'm a core snob, more is clearly better :D in my personal rig (not my wifes in the post above) I just wouldn't stand for anything less than at least 16 cores / 32 threads or more. To be honest i'm blown away by just how good the 3600 is for the low price I paid for it. When I think my processor cost a cool £1000 and I only spent £136 on her chip it's astonishing value for money given how it performs.

My 3600x doesn't break a sweat. For 99% of people the 3600 is more than enough. People buying more just have cores sitting there doing nothing.

Unless you are encoding or transcoding, etc. Gpu is far mot important for gamers. Cores don't really matter.

Man of Honour
My 3600x doesn't break a sweat. For 99% of people the 3600 is more than enough. People buying more just have cores sitting there doing nothing.

Unless you are encoding or transcoding, etc. Gpu is far mot important for gamers. Cores don't really matter.

Cores matter to me as I build out a lot of VM's and test entire esxi environments from time to time so cores, memory and lots of fast IO are a must have, hence the TR platform, even then the 3xm.2 that my board offers could be more as they are all filled up with drives and I can find myself falling back to my ssd and worse still my spindal arrays on big jobs. There is no way a 3600 would surfice for some of the stuff I do whereas on my 32 thread machine I at least stand a chance. As you say though for 99% of people the 3600 is more than enough and I think will be for a while to come. Also 8c/16t can absolutely be done for £100 if you pick up a well looked after 2700x, that's how the wifes machine started and I paid £100 on the nose for that chip :) £400 for the whole machine (minus a power supply and nvme) but including board (£42), processor (£100), gpu rx470 (£40), memory 16gb ddr4 3200 (£35) and a full water cooling kit (£75). Sadly I fried it and the motherboard hence the sidegrade/minor upgrade to the 3600.

Caporegime
Cores matter to me as I build out a lot of VM's and test entire esxi environments from time to time so cores, memory and lots of fast IO are a must have, hence the TR platform, even then the 3xm.2 that my board offers could be more as they are all filled up with drives and I can find myself falling back to my ssd and worse still my spindal arrays on big jobs. There is no way a 3600 would surfice for some of the stuff I do whereas on my 32 thread machine I at least stand a chance. As you say though for 99% of people the 3600 is more than enough and I think will be for a while to come. Also 8c/16t can absolutely be done for £100 if you pick up a well looked after 2700x, that's how the wifes machine started and I paid £100 on the nose for that chip :) £400 for the whole machine including board (£42), processor (£100), gpu rx470 (£40), memory 16gb ddr4 3200 (£35) and a full water cooling kit. Sadly I fried it and the motherboard hence the sidegrade/minor upgrade to the 3600.

Was talking brand new. I sold my 1700x for around £100 to get the 3600x.

It's usually running well below 50% cpu usage even when gaming. And I have a tonne of apps open and running in the background

Man of Honour
Was talking brand new. I sold my 1700x for around £100 to get the 3600x.

It's usually running well below 50% cpu usage even when gaming. And I have a tonne of apps open and running in the background

Brand new it's not happening. A new 2700x still commands about £170 today. Mind you I just sold a brand new sealed 2700x RMA replacement for £75 to a good mate of mine so I guess in the "right" circumstances it sort of can be done :p

And yes im a bit of a mug but I do like to look after family and friends :)

Caporegime
Can a console even do 5% of the things a pc can do?

£500 isn't a lot of money.

Hell £5000 isn't a lot of money these days either.

Also inflation called. There is no way you are getting 8 cores and 16 threads for £200. Not until AM5 at least. So pointless even thinking about it or discussing it.

The way I see it is. How much enjoyment do I get out of it and spread the cost over the hours of enjoyment.

That tells me if it's worth buying. Consoles are a poor comparison they aren't on the same level and they don't have anywhere near the same size of catalogue as steam.
I already have a PC. I don't need to upgrade it for anything other than gaming.

So a console doesn't need to do all the things a PC can. I have a PC for those things :D :D

I'm happy for you that £500 and even £5000 isn't a lot of money. "2020 called" and things aren't so rosy for a lot of people.

Associate
Brand new it's not happening. A new 2700x still commands about £170 today. Mind you I just sold a brand new sealed 2700x RMA replacement for £75 to a good mate of mine so I guess in the "right" circumstances it sort of can be done :p

And yes im a bit of a mug but I do like to look after family and friends :)

I just sold a new RMA 2070x for £185 and got a couple of week old 3700x (previous owner realised they needed more cores) for £30 more.

Associate
I'm not being totally unreasonable I don't think, asking for 8c/16t to be the new mid-range.

I sometimes get the impression people who post here are sleeping on mattresses stuffed with £50s :p

e: What makes it weird for me is that the same people praise AMD for making 6-core the new mid-range, and lambast Intel for only ever offering 4core.

Then they react angrily to the idea that 8c could be the new mid-range, because that would be "too good" for us or something.

Maybe 6 core needs to be mid-range for the next 10 years then we can move on?
Have to agree there's no rationale for accepting 6 core as mid range today when 8 core makes more sense with the new consoles having 8 cores. Intel sitting on its hands while raking in the $ for years seems to have really dampened people's expectations similarly to Nvidia's drip feeding performance and whacking up the price so people seem to want to pay 50% more for every 20% increase in performance.

Associate
Have to agree there's no rationale for accepting 6 core as mid range today when 8 core makes more sense with the new consoles having 8 cores. Intel sitting on its hands while raking in the $ for years seems to have really dampened people's expectations similarly to Nvidia's drip feeding performance and whacking up the price so people seem to want to pay 50% more for every 20% increase in performance.

Issue is that games have years of development and they target the average user machines.
If games today would need 8 or 12 cores then it make sense but it just isn't happening yet.
Consoles this gen are powerful for once.
Zen and rdna2 will make them last a long time and allow games to be more fidelity.
But again, 6 cores just works for games.

I bought 6 cores Ryzen three times now as whatever I do, encoding, games works.
I do plan on 8 cores this time not for games as 6 cores is enough but due to this is the last am4 and I expect it be 2+ years before next upgrade at least.
But I just may settle for 6 as the ipc lift and such makes more sense than 2 more cores for me and any gamer.

Associate
Issue is that games have years of development and they target the average user machines.
If games today would need 8 or 12 cores then it make sense but it just isn't happening yet.
Consoles this gen are powerful for once.
Zen and rdna2 will make them last a long time and allow games to be more fidelity.
But again, 6 cores just works for games.

I bought 6 cores Ryzen three times now as whatever I do, encoding, games works.
I do plan on 8 cores this time not for games as 6 cores is enough but due to this is the last am4 and I expect it be 2+ years before next upgrade at least.
But I just may settle for 6 as the ipc lift and such makes more sense than 2 more cores for me and any gamer.
I went single core, 2 core, 4 core, 8 core so have to have a 16 core next for no sensible reason whatsoever just I like the idea of doubling my core count if I'm increasing it. Would grudgingly accept a 12 core if the gaming performance is better.

Caporegime
Rather than buy an 8 core you don't need now for 'long term' (if such a thing exists in PC hardware), it's far cheaper on a whole-life basis to buy at the current optimal point for price / performance depending on what you need it to do.

At the extreme end of this, there are many comments about regrets from 3950 purchases from people that would have been fine with a 2600.

I'll be going with a 6 core 4000 series and spend the difference on a better GPU. I'll be interested to see some 6 core vs. 8 core benchmarks for next gen games to see what difference it actually makes for the casual gamer at 4K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom