360 Wireless Adaptor driver/receiver - How To Install (Windows 10/2004)

Caporegime
Latest Windows 10 Update breaks the XBOX360 wireless controller receiver driver and re-installing the driver as previously done no longer works as it will stay on " Unknown Device ". Below is how to get it working again!

1.jpg

So, after a pain in the ass time, I was able to get it to work with some research and determination. This is long, and I wrote it very fast. If you message me, I can answer questions or update it. Here goes.
Uninstall ALL the old drivers you have for the Xbox 360 controller and remove the "unknown device" in the device manager too. (I assume you all have done this a hundred times by now like me) 2.Go to the Microsoft website and download the driver Windows 7 32 bit of 64 bit, depending on your OS.
Extract Xbox360_64Eng.exe (or the 32 bit file) to a folder (Winrar will work) and will come back to this in a moment.
Open your device Manager and find the "unknown device".
Go to Device Properties > Details tab > Hardware Ids properties and you find that yours is something different from USB\Vid_045E&Pid_0719 (this is the Microsoft branded adapter ours are likely not), this will be why Windows won't accept your device.
Take a note of the device ID number (something like 0291) this is so we can modify the driver in order for it to install.
Go back to where you extracted the Xbox360_64Eng.exe file and navigate to the driver file. Should be where you extracted it (default would be Xbox360_64Eng) then Xbox360 -- setup 64 -- files -- driver -- win7 like this image hereand locate the "xusb21.inf".
Right click the "xusb21.inf" and choose "OPEN WITH" and choose notepad.
All you need to do is replace ALL THE OCCURANCES of Pid_0719 with whatever yours is listed as (Pid_0291 in my case) and then save the file [Example:] (https://imgur.com/TRmo4At) Old: %XUSB21.DeviceName%=CC_Install, USB\Vid_045E&Pid_0719 New: %XUSB21.DeviceName%=CC_Install, USB\Vid_045E&Pid_0291
Now you need to turn OFF digital signing for just a little while, instead of me typing this all out you go here and look for "Option Two: Use an Advanced Boot Option" since this will be temporary.
If you followed the guide above, you will have turned off digital signatures for the time being in windows.
Do NOT install yet from the device Manager but go back to where you stored the "xusb21.inf" file in step 5.
Right click on that file and choose "install"
A warning will come up saying "windows cant verify the publisher of the device publisher" [Like it shows here] (https://deploymentresearch.com/wp-c...ticles/SignYourDrivers/UntrustedPublisher.png).
Choose "Install this driver software anyway"
Go back to your device manager and choose "action" "scan for hardware changes"
Locate the "unknown device" right click, choose "update driver"
Click on "Browse my computer for drivers"
Choose "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
Choose the "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows" next and it will install!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eao8zd/has_microsoft_broken_the_xbox_360_wireless/

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I know I jumped the gun and ditched mine and bought an XB1 setup but this is nice to know for those who still have the 360 ones!

Worth noting that every big Windows 10 update the same process will have to be followed , same as previous versions. Bit of faff but hey ho.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Do you think they will fix it any time soon though? This is MS we are talking about, the same MS that on every single May 2020 update from test rings to later final stages have had issues that have come up :p

Don
Perfect :)

On a side note, I find the 360 pad so much comfier (for Rocket League at least) than the One pad.

Bought 5 of them as spares for when I wear through them.

Soldato
My son asked if he could use his Xbox 360 controller on his PC.

It detects fine under device manager as a "Xbox 260 wireless controller via charge & play kit" under xbox peripherals but when turning the controller on the xbox logo just flashes continuously and it doesn't work.

Does anyone know if its possible to get an xbox 360 controller to work with the charging USB cable or does he need a bluetooth receiver instead? as im guessing the controller is trying to communicate with the xbox console and not the PC

PC is on Windows 10 1909 build.

Don
My son asked if he could use his Xbox 360 controller on his PC.

It detects fine under device manager as a "Xbox 260 wireless controller via charge & play kit" under xbox peripherals but when turning the controller on the xbox logo just flashes continuously and it doesn't work.

Does anyone know if its possible to get an xbox 360 controller to work with the charging USB cable or does he need a bluetooth receiver instead? as im guessing the controller is trying to communicate with the xbox console and not the PC

PC is on Windows 10 1909 build.
You need this..

Xbox 360 Receiver PC

Soldato
You need this..

Xbox 360 Receiver PC
Ty, ill have a look.

I guessed he would need something like this as the cable is used for charging only after looking in to it further.

Would a wired Xbox 360 controller work as well? as looking online I have read that these can do the trick as long as they are hard wired.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's probably time to move on now and ditch it tbh. I upgraded to the MS XBOX wireless adapter and an Xbox 1 pad a while back. The adapter is only £20 or so too and it's natively support without any drivers etc.

Back
Top Bottom