Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
The advise for the Tuesday (still to be confirmed) is bring all your rods :D :D Challenge accepted :D As we should be anchored up in different spots..

50lb or 20-30 or 20lb IFGA + Talica 16II - tope rig
12-20 + fathom 15ld2 - downtide bass / feathers
5-10oz Uptider + spheros 6000 - uptide rig
20-50 8ft spinning rod + 4000 reel - casting for bass rig / feathers
8-28g 10ft + 3000 reel - garfish on surface float

Soldato
Cannot wait, just had the confirmation through about the meet time and location for some guided Salmon fishing around where the Tyne rivers join.

31st July, 8.30 I'll be hopping around in my waders dying to get out and see if I can net my first salmon with my very good mate and a local guide.

Hopefully Robson Green doesn't gate crash the party. :D

http://www.jamesstokoefishing.com/

Well, the day arrived and it was factor 50 weather and the warm water didn't really make for good fishing.

However, what a day, a good mate and a cracking guide who we would quite happily go for a beer with.

We ended up fishing about 5 different beats on the North and South Tyne.

We started off using our own one handed fly rods in small pools and runs he thought might be productive given the wind direction and water flow as Kielder were releasing water.

Unfortunately although we saw fish about nothing was taking.

We then moved onto a wider part of the river where he set up custom made salmon rods for us and set about trying to convert thrashing to left handed Spey casting.

Again, he was great in teaching us the technique and correcting our poor habits.

Unfortunately again, there was not much action, some old guy we chatted to, and let us use his beat for the afternoon in return for using ours, had spent 3 days and not caught a thing.

I did get hit by what the guide said could have been a 4/5 lb sea trout on my very first attempt at shooting line while Spey casting, but a combination of my poor technique and what turned out to be a broken fly meant the only bite of the day, I missed.

However, we're booking in for next year, we were unlucky, until then they'd had a record July for Sea Trout and were 2 salmon away from their record salmon season from their waters, there's fish out there. :D

Associate
Nice fish from gilighams in thai land.Surely a fish of a life time!!
I have had just under 70lb common from a lake in france, awesome fish.But its in a pond and sooner or later it will get caught.

My 52lb mirror from the river marne was much more of an anglinging achievement than the 70 common.Baiting for nearly a week with no takes, then a drop back and connected to a steam train.

Soldato
Nice fish from gilighams in thai land.Surely a fish of a life time!!
I have had just under 70lb common from a lake in france, awesome fish.But its in a pond and sooner or later it will get caught.

My 52lb mirror from the river marne was much more of an anglinging achievement than the 70 common.Baiting for nearly a week with no takes, then a drop back and connected to a steam train.

Thanks Eola , yes fish of lifetime for sure as my previous PB was 17Lb . I normally match fish but so wanted a big Siamese - goal achieved .

A 52lb mirror from a river is one hell of a feat - congrats .

This is what I normally do at weekends

Last edited:
Associate
That is a quality bag you caught there, plenty of action all day long.
The big ones are real fun, but to keep catching for a hours is a different ball game.

Caporegime
see people fishing at my local park all the time but never see anyone get a bite lol..

some people over night fish there as well, it's got carp etc but people throw so much food in for the ducks I doubt the fish are ever hungry

Soldato
Had a rare bit of shore sea fishing with the father in law. First Mullet, foul hooked but still - seemed that they were out looking for food.

Soldato
Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some basic setup guides and some general tips. My son is mad keen on fishing, he’s watched a few programs on tv etc, so I bought him a basic rod and reel and a few bits from go outdoors. We’ve been out to a couple of local lakes a few weeks back and a reservoir today but I don’t think we even got a nibble so we are doing some wrong I presume!

We’ve tried sweetcorn and bread at the lakes and I bought some glitter egg bait that we tried today that was well reviewed online as well as sweetcorn but still nothing.

I’d like to try and catch something before he gets totally sick but I don’t really know where to start!

Any help appreciated thanks.

Soldato
Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some basic setup guides and some general tips. My son is mad keen on fishing, he’s watched a few programs on tv etc, so I bought him a basic rod and reel and a few bits from go outdoors. We’ve been out to a couple of local lakes a few weeks back and a reservoir today but I don’t think we even got a nibble so we are doing some wrong I presume!

We’ve tried sweetcorn and bread at the lakes and I bought some glitter egg bait that we tried today that was well reviewed online as well as sweetcorn but still nothing.

I’d like to try and catch something before he gets totally sick but I don’t really know where to start!

Any help appreciated thanks.

One of the best YouTube channels is Graham Pullen's Totally Awesome Fishing. He covers freshwater, lake, boat and sea with lots of tips etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtElDjbNvNG9UkhC-T54HJA

I have to say I'm more a sea boat fisherman than a lake or river.

Back
Top Bottom