BBC say the N word

Soldato
I'm really struggling to see the problem here. It was requested by the family.

What I do have a problem with is what the DJ said. Should they just have black people reporting stories concerning black people?

Crazy.

Man of Honour
The whole thing about the word is stupid. It's just a slang way of saying negro yet it's been turned into a slur.

When was it not a slur to refer to black people?

There is no gravity to the n word,it is a word used many times daily by certain cultures. Part of their privilege i guess.

-er vs -a, -er is considered offensive regardless what culture you are.

Caporegime
When was it not a slur to refer to black people?

-er vs -a, -er is considered offensive regardless what culture you are.

So if one says, 'what up ma 'xxxx"

Thats offensive? People offend each other as a greeting. Incredible'

You best tell the people of Atlanta, or Philadelphia this quickly so that they can get offended at each other!

Caporegime
So if one says, 'what up ma 'xxxx"

Thats offensive? People offend each other as a greeting. Incredible'

You best tell the people of Atlanta, or Philadelphia this quickly so that they can get offended at each other!

Its 2020 and we're still having to explain how black people took a racist word and turned it to a word of empowerment amongst themselves....

Caporegime
But black families can't tell a white reporter to .... report?

Ummmm:

Negro is also a slur unless you are speaking Spanish or Portuguese.

However with regard to the actual topic, I don't see the BBC are at fault here or need to apologise.

What am I missing here?

BBC news uses the N-word broadcasting a direct quote at the wishes of the family (black) of a horrendous, racially motivated assault on a black man.

Some people get rather upset and a number in the low hundreds ring up to complain ie 0.001% or so of people watching.

A DJ quits BBC1 Xtra as a white reporter uses the word.

BBC feel need to apologise.

Were the BBC out of order for following the direct request of the family whose member was subjected to the attack?

Is it ok for people to be offended at that decision of the BBC and instead that family's wishes should not have been respected?

Soldato
Its 2020 and we're still having to explain how black people took a racist word and turned it to a word of empowerment amongst themselves....

That’s because it doesn’t make any sense. The reaction to this is laughable. The BBC included it at the families request.

Now some DJ who plays music all day long which perpetuates the use of the word, objectifies women, glorifies violence and criminality, has resigned. Don’t make me laugh mate!!

Soldato
You can't have one rule for one and one rule for another. This is what CAUSES division, not cures it.

Either EVERYONE should not be saying it, or they should. The notion that a person of a certain skin colour can say something which another can't is absurd and it's things like this making the "race war" more heated and divisive.

Soldato
There is no gravity to the n word,it is a word used many times daily by certain cultures. Part of their privilege i guess.

like a lot of words it’s all about context. When the c word is used as an insult its obviously very different to when it’s used in humour when it is imo a fantastic word. And what does “privilege” got to do with anything? That almost sounds like what white people say when they aren’t allowed to use the n word but black people are.

Soldato
Again, the black family, of the black victim who was attacked because they were black requested that the full word was used to highlight the gravity of the situation.

yes I get that but they had to know people were going to complain like they would if they used the c word on the news. In the end it’s a nothing story really, forgotten by tomorrow.

Caporegime
The whole thing about the word is stupid. It's just a slang way of saying negro yet it's been turned into a slur.
black people have kept the word alive so they should shut up about people saying it.

don't blsmr society when theres generations of black men that refer to themselves by the N word and music was constantly full of the N word for at least a decade.

it's hardly suprising the world never slipped out of use when it seems black people in america were obsessed with the N word being part of every day life for the rest of the world

Caporegime
Yeah mate, it's all their fault and would have just gone away if they hadn't said it.

:rolleyes:
dood I mean we have a generation of white kids who only know the word really from music and probably have no idea why it's that offensive when they are used to hearing it all the time.

don't expect people to stop using a world when your constantly using it your self?

Soldato
Insults do get lost in time though. If you keep banging on that a word is insulting, surely people will use it as an insult.

I'm in no way saying that the word should be downplayed, but I believe that the best strategy is to show that it doesn't bother you.

And I'm pretty sure that the vast majority complaints about its use came from white saviours.

Back
Top Bottom