• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Realistically speaking the 3070/3080 will not "decimate" 4k... unless by "decimate" you mean getting 30-60fps at full graphical fidelity with AA and RT enabled in modern titles.

All your posts seem to be aimed at convincing yourself that 4k gaming is not possible at high FPS. This is despite people already enjoying 4K for years, and the current gen (RTX, Radeon VII, RX5700) enabling 4k60 in many titles. Certainly not with all AA/graphics settings in the most demanding games, but it's certainly playable with high FPS in many games out there.

The next gen will absolutely push 4K forward and will let many enjoy 4K > 60fps, heck older games will see 120 FPS for those with 120Hz 4K panels (LG CX for example...).

As for RT - we haven't yet seen RT performance gains for the 3000 series - I'd expect a massive increase as the technology is still in it's infancy. I personally don't care less if 100% of games can't run at 4k 60 with RT on - as there are hardly any RT games out there anyway.

Looking at the PC spec in your signature - that's obviously not gonna handle 4k or 1440P that well, but don't kid yourself into thinking that 4K isn't possible at high FPS. Even with 'some' sacrifices to settings/AA, it will still look way better than any 1080P/1440P alternative.

Man of Honour
All your posts seem to be aimed at convincing yourself that 4k gaming is not possible at high FPS. This is despite people already enjoying 4K for years, and the current gen (RTX, Radeon VII, RX5700) enabling 4k60 in many titles. Certainly not with all AA/graphics settings in the most demanding games, but it's certainly playable with high FPS in many games out there.

The next gen will absolutely push 4K forward and will let many enjoy 4K > 60fps, heck older games will see 120 FPS for those with 120Hz 4K panels (LG CX for example...).

As for RT - we haven't yet seen RT performance gains for the 3000 series - I'd expect a massive increase as the technology is still in it's infancy. I personally don't care less if 100% of games can't run at 4k 60 with RT on - as there are hardly any RT games out there anyway.

Looking at the PC spec in your signature - that's obviously not gonna handle 4k or 1440P that well, but don't kid yourself into thinking that 4K isn't possible at high FPS. Even with 'some' sacrifices to settings/AA, it will still look way better than any 1080P/1440P alternative.

This^

4k is runnable on lots of different cards not just the extreme high end ones.

Yes you may have to turn down a few settings which you won't even notice after a couple of minutes.

Caporegime
All your posts seem to be aimed at convincing yourself that 4k gaming is not possible at high FPS.

Ehh... what? ALL of my post are spent "convincing myself" that high performance 4k isn't possible? Am I talking to my 11 year old cousins here? Now I think about it I'm pretty sure they can put forth a more logical and intellectual argument than that, because I have no idea what the chuff you are talking about with that ridiculous statement. :p

This is despite people already enjoying 4K for years, and the current gen (RTX, Radeon VII, RX5700) enabling 4k60 in many titles. Certainly not with all AA/graphics settings in the most demanding games, but it's certainly playable with high FPS in many games out there.

I am talking about 4k at max details with all the bells and whistles enabled, I didn't say anything about reducing graphical fidelity to get more framerates. Of course you can change everything to lower detail to get more frames. In other news, chocolate melts! :eek:

Well clearly there aren't a lot of games now. The RT games will be coming with the next generation when consoles support the features and they are developed en masse. Isn't this just... obvious? Ampere has 3-4x the RT power from the consistent reports, but I doubt that it will be "free" performance, especially when complexity of its use increases.

Ok cool, thanks for the advice on how to run games and get the most from my hardware, dave. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Will we be getting a free game like we did with Turing (Space Invaders).

I recon Pac Man will be interesting with Ampere, watching it gobble up all the money in your wallet.:eek:

I never got that game with my 2080ti, is there somewhere I need to claim for it or something?

Associate
Choosing a badly optimised game as the benchmark isn't really a legitimate comparison.

Not its not, has a few stutters there and then but wouldnt say it was badly optimized.

ok il use control too

1080 gpu - 1440p averages around 40 fps
2080ti -4k averages again around 40 fps

Red dead

1080 gpu - 1440p averages around 35 fps
2080ti -4k averages again around 47 fps

Caporegime
Benchmarks don't lie, call me when demanding games can run at 4k WITHOUT dipping below 60FPS, on a high end GPU, with averages far above that.
Dave2150 doesn't need all that benchmarks nonsense, science and logic are for wallies, he just turns all the game settings to Low or Disabled and enjoys bangin 4k120fps! :D

Soldato
This^

4k is runnable on lots of different cards not just the extreme high end ones.

Yes you may have to turn down a few settings which you won't even notice after a couple of minutes.

Yeap, 100% agree. I shouldn't take the bait, as it's obvious he's trolling. He was up to the same in the monitor forum, mocking those getting 4K monitors/TV's and not accepting 4K is possible with today's hardware.

I'm running a Radeon VII, not the fastest card, between a 2070S and a 2080 in most games, but gets be by at 4K until I upgrade to the 3000 series (or big Navi). Still far prefer the IQ/experience at 4k 40-60 fps (the freesync range of my monitor) compared to 1440P 144Hz.

Soldato
Dave2150 doesn't need all that benchmarks nonsense, science and logic are for wallies, he just turns all the game settings to Low or Disabled and enjoys bangin 4k120fps! :D

If you had a clue, you'd know that there are no HDMI 2.1 cards out yet to drive 4k 120Hz, so it's physically impossible on a LG CX or other HDMI TV's/monitors. I won't waste my time with your childish bickering and incorrect ramblings any further, welcome to my ignore list.

Associate
XD god i hope not, have a 750w sf platinum unit, hope it will be enough for the 3080 or what ever its called, i hope that card will be the best balance between performance and price compared to the 2080ti, yes the next card up will be on another plannet but the cost will likley be a fair bit more.

also with the 21 days, 21 years skit is nvidia trying to make fun of navi 21?

Nah they're hinting you can't buy one until next year, '21 :p

Caporegime
If you had a clue, you'd know that there are no HDMI 2.1 cards out yet to drive 4k 120Hz, so it's physically impossible on a LG CX or other HDMI TV's/monitors. I won't waste my time with your childish bickering and incorrect ramblings any further, welcome to my ignore list.
Oh dear lord... I was extracting the michael with my previous post Dave and if that wasn't obvious then I can see judging context is not one of your skills, either. :D

Everyone knows you can turn settings down in games, the fact you are touting this as some kind of esoteric knowledge is highly amusing. I have been tweaking hardware to get the most out of games since before the original 3DFX was released back in 1996 and this has not stopped until the present day where I am currently getting the most out of my very temporary "waiting for Ampere and Zen3" rig with games like crazily-modded-skyrim, Witcher 3 and others that require a lot of tweaking and compromises. I have both a 4k 60hz and 1440p 144hz monitor that I game on, depending on the game.

What I, and many others judging from the thread, have been referring to is the ability to play at 4k at full or close to full graphical fidelity, which even a 2080Ti often struggles at in demanding games as a wealth of benchmarks show across many respected sites. I doubt there are many PC gamers who don't understand the concept of reducing settings to get more performance... it's, well, kind of one of the defining features of PC gaming. I get that you probably recently learned all of this stuff which is why you're so fired up about it, but it's all old news to many of the older and more experienced PC gamers who have spent decades doing it and getting the most out of underpowered hardware.

The point is that many people do not want to sacrifice a lot of detail just to gain resolution... for example I think it's far better to have 1440p at max details AND smooth framerates frames than to run a game at 4k with noticeably low detail, because that's when the additional resolution just becomes a pointless exercise and a waste of GPU power.

He's not trolling. He genuinely believes he is right. about everything.
Nope, I most certainly don't always think I am right, so man up and stop acting like such a weenie. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom