Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Check comparison sites, bulb used to be one of the cheapest, less so for me these days. They were not even in the top 10 when I checked earlier this month in my location.

Soldato
I'm still with bulb (lethargy) - but agree with born2sk8, they are expensive now, and I would check your comparison site is showing you all the options if it is throwing them up,
this has been discussed several times in this thread.

Their refererral system is a testament to their price, it is only cheaper if you have several referrals per year, this is an outdated business model, in a matured market for me.

Soldato
Does anyone have a referral for 'Green.', e-on or OutFoxTheMarket? It's a toss up between those three for me - the customer service issue raised looks to maybe be for the minority (like so many of these providers to be honest!)

Soldato
Eon are annoying me now, I know I agreed to be contacted about having smart meters installed but they're phoning 3 or 4 times a day at the minute.
Thank God I only have another month before I can switch.

An I right in thinking companies now have to email you when you're 49 days before the end of your contact is up so you can switch?

Caporegime
I'm still with bulb (lethargy) - but agree with born2sk8, they are expensive now, and I would check your comparison site is showing you all the options if it is throwing them up,
this has been discussed several times in this thread.

Their refererral system is a testament to their price, it is only cheaper if you have several referrals per year, this is an outdated business model, in a matured market for me.

Cheers. Just the wife mentioned them, for their 'Green'ness.

I'll naturally check closer to the time when moving :)

Soldato
Cheers. Just the wife mentioned them, for their 'Green'ness.

I'll naturally check closer to the time when moving :)

Loads of suppliers are doing "green" tarrifs, but the energy flowing into your home is the same no matter who supplies it.

I think the "green" tarriffs are just a promise from the energy company to pay for that much energy from green sources.

Tbh I don't see why they are marketing that to consumers in the first place, should be a central drive to increase green energy supply across the industry, instead of charging people more for these tarriffs but the consumed product is the same.

Associate
Does anyone have a referral link for octopus energy? I’ve signed up to them and I’ve just noticed that you can add a referral retrospectively

Soldato
You didn't see the protestations today about the so called money saving/comparison sites, taking some £100M out of the system - that benevolent Martin Lewis,

A “parasite market”: A competitive market of energy price comparison websites reduces consumer welfare

The comparison sites merely capitalise on a situation created by the utilities suppliers, if they rewarded customer loyalty with better prices over new signups then the issue would go away almost overnight.

Last edited:
Soldato
BULB in the news - You can check out any time you like But you can never leave

Ofgem said around 61,000 consumers were affected by the failures between 2017 and 2020.

The regulator found that Bulb – one of the UK’s biggest challengers to the Big Six providers – overcharged some households as well as blocking consumers from switching and having issues with the Priority Services Register for vulnerable customers.

Ofgem said Bulb has since made changes to improve its processes and has paid a £1.76 million package of redress, refunds and goodwill payments to affected customers.

The bulk of the payment is made up of compensation and refunds, as well as a £157,350 payment into the energy industry voluntary redress fund to support vulnerable customers.

Back
Top Bottom