• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'm on about buying the 8c zen 3 chip so there will be no in socket upgrade. I would likely make a small saving if I took the 6c and then upgraded to the 8c in a few years, but I don't think it would be much after I've paid fees / postage on selling the old chip. + I'd have someone else's second hand chip unless I bought an new chip which would probably erase all the savings

A 4700 is always going to be worth the small amount of bother over a 3700.

Postage is hardly a huge deal. You use the packaging from the new cpu you are upgrading to and you can post them for like £4.80 through riyal mail.

As for fees I usually use a £1 fee deal which tends to happen every 2 weeks.

You are talking less than 20 mins work total to sell, package and ship a cpu. I should know I've sold several on ebay in the past few years.

Soldato

Postage is hardly a huge deal. You use the packaging from the new cpu you are upgrading to and you can post them for like £4.80 through riyal mail.

You are talking less than 20 mins work total to sell, package and ship a cpu. I should know I've sold several on ebay in the past few years.

Riyal mail, is that the Saudi equivalent of Royal Mail?

Soldato

I'm waiting for a "4700" I have no interest in buying a 3xxx cpu. So it's a question of "4700" Vs "4600", with a later upgrade to 4700 if beneficial later.

It would cost a bit more than that if you want it insured properly

Final value fees of £1 is good, they will still nickle and dime you further on PayPal fees though. Not much money, sure, but it cuts into the value of the upgrade.

I run custom water so it's a bit more than 20 mins work, though it would likely be due a tear down at that point anyway I guess.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think you will save much all things considered and that the small saving is not worth the hassle, you feel differently and I respect that.

Soldato
I'm waiting for a "4700" I have no interest in buying a 3xxx cpu. So it's a question of "4700" Vs "4600", with a later upgrade to 4700 if beneficial later.

Final value fees of £1 is good, they will still nickle and dime you further on PayPal fees though. Not much money, sure, but it cuts into the value of the upgrade.

I run custom water so it's a bit more than 20 mins work, though it would likely be due a tear down at that point anyway I guess.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think you will save much all things considered and that the small saving is not worth the hassle, you feel differently and I respect that.

There's plenty of savings if you want it. I paid £100 for a 2600. That's a saving of £79.99 compared with it's original selling price I think. I plan to upgrade to a 4700 next year and I'll probably pay less than £200 for it because it will be replaced by the newer 5700. I might even go for the 4900 if the price is right.

That's without the hasle of selling anything as well which you didn't sound too keen on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rather than buy an 8 core you don't need now for 'long term' (if such a thing exists in PC hardware), it's far cheaper on a whole-life basis to buy at the current optimal point for price / performance depending on what you need it to do.
Yep, it would seem an x570 board with Ryzen 5 3600 was a great buy a few months ago... then in a couple years time a 12 core 4000 series would be a great upgrade.

Associate

The 4700 every time. 8-core should be the minimum target to align with consoles.

Soldato
Yeap, noticed the same. Had 16GB DDR4 since August 2015 (with my Skylake i7), in the last year or two I'm regularly at 11-14GB usage.

Not spending any more money on old hat DDR4, I'll be opting for 32GB of DDR5 to go with my LGA 1700 or AM4+ motherboard, whichever is best at gaming. Looking at just over a year to release, fun times ahead :)

Same here.

I'll be upgrading to an AMD 5 series chip and 32GB DDR5 ram when it's available.

Intel will nit get any of my money.

32GB is likely to be the new recommended amount of memory for gaming.

Heck, the new MS Flight Simulator has 32GB recommended already.

Caporegime
Same here.

I'll be upgrading to an AMD 5 series chip and 32GB DDR5 ram when it's available.

Not seeing 32GB standard system RAM as anything other than overkill, for gaming.

Photoshoop et al, sure.

Would seem to me that VRAM is far more important than sys RAM.

Soldato
Not seeing 32GB standard system RAM as anything other than overkill, for gaming.

Photoshoop et al, sure.

Would seem to me that VRAM is far more important than sys RAM.

if you're wanting to play fs2020 regularly and want ultra,probably high graphics too then alpha testers are seeing 24GB of RAM usage, some other games too I've heard but only a few definitely some modded games.

Associate
Same here.

One game which is a simulator and not really a game.
sisters kid went with 32gb 3200mhz and I just went with 16gb 3600mhz as I am in an upgrade phase.
Games are made for the average and lowest dominator.
So with this said, 16gb will be the go to for years to come.

One could make an argument for 8 cores vs 6 cores the same way.
Unless you need for multitasking 6 cores functions as well as 8 cores.
You want to balance your set up for the usage patterns you have and I stuck with 6 cores for 3 years as simply its a great balance.
I may go for 8 cores as the next planned upgrade is at 2 years or more unless some innovative breakthrough happens.

At some point, 8 even 12 cores may be the better balanced option and 32gb a better game option but we are still years away from that.

Looking at sisters kid he wanted to upgrade 2 months ago and I said, wait for September as new cpu, new gpu are coming.
He will thank me for that.

Soldato
If these CPUs are that much better as rumoured, latency improvement etc will put them in a better position vs Intel in those games that prefer lower latency.

Meaning they will last longer, should easily be able to skip the first round of DDR5, depends how good Alder lake is next year i guess.

Soldato
It depends on what kind of games you play, I regularly see Cities Skylines maxing out my 16gb of RAM with very little effort. That game can get pretty nuts when you start adding in additional assets and mods from the workshop.

Associate
if you're wanting to play fs2020 regularly and want ultra,probably high graphics too then alpha testers are seeing 24GB of RAM usage, some other games too I've heard but only a few definitely some modded games.
Oh good I'd love to see my RAM finally being put to use, never used more than 12-13GB despite having had 32GB for 5 years.

Caporegime
OK well I'd suggest for those of us not playing FS2020 or piling on the mods 16gb sys RAM is probably a safe bet for years still.

16GB is a vast, vast, vast amount of data storage. It's somewhat amazing to me that any game can eat that up. And by data storage I don't mean textures et al, just regular numerical game data.

e: I somewhat suspect that these RAM hogging games might be using the sys RAM as a cache for texture data, to feed the GPU?

16GB is a metric ton of ints, floats, points, vectors, triangles, etc. Almost unfathomable to use that much RAM on pure game data. Must be caching other assets.

e2: If your piling on mods from various authors I'd imagine the chances are quite high that one or two of them might have a memory leak here and there also..

Last edited:
Soldato
I might upgrade to 32Gb next year because when DDR5 is in mass production, DDR4 might go up in price?
I would imagen there will be plenty of cheap kits on the 2nd hand market as the early adopters look to sell off their old hardware. Could see Samsung B-die holding its price quite well though.

Soldato
I expect you’d end up getting new ram for a new build either way if it’s anything like DDR4.

I have DDR4 in my current PC but I’m planning to swap it when I build a new one for Zen4. I’ve had it for over 5 years and it isn’t capable of anything like the speeds you can get these days. I think it’s only 2666mhz, and I expect DDR5 will be the same with the early chips being way slower than what you can get later down the line.

Associate
I might upgrade to 32Gb next year because when DDR5 is in mass production, DDR4 might go up in price?

Unless you play fly sims or use for workloads, 32gb wont be a good upgrade.
You want to upgrade to the fastest ssd m.2 as windows be snappier.
Speed matters more than storage.
next is a better ipc cpu with good boost.
Like the upcoming Ryzen series from AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom