2nd hand Herman Miller - need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Emm... that did not really help. I did that already. It goes from 1 star to 5 star like ANY review for ANY business ever to exist.

I am trying to find one to consider, as I heard these are amazing chairs - however, not spending a grand on one. Trying to find a trusted reseller for 2nd hand items that are original, just.. used.

1300 reviews and a 4.2 score isnt enough?

2ndhnd is legit.

Associate
OP
1300 reviews and a 4.2 score isnt enough?

2ndhnd is legit.
Are they all original good condition products for HM? Or will they all be slightly damaged, with parts replaced maybe that aren’t original anymore though..

I got my Herman Miller from Tsunami Axis. They should be able to point you in the right direction
I see. Is that a UK company perhaps? Also - how much was yours? I don’t know what I want as I’m looking at Noble Chairs, Secret Labs or maybe a used HM piece for a comfortable chair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
They are second hand reconditioned chairs. conditional will vary accordingly but they are, as you asked, real.
I see. Are these HM chairs either Mirra or Aeron as worthy as they are hyped as some sort of silver bullet for office chairs? As comfort is an important area when I use it for like 10 hours a day.

Caporegime
Emm... that did not really help. I did that already. It goes from 1 star to 5 star like ANY review for ANY business ever to exist.

I am trying to find one to consider, as I heard these are amazing chairs - however, not spending a grand on one. Trying to find a trusted reseller for 2nd hand items that are original, just.. used.

Its more help than anyone on here is likely to be able to give regarding their legitimacy and reputation, at least.

4.2 stars over 1300 reviews is exceptional given that a much higher percentage of disatisfied customers will write on there vs. satisfied ones.

Soldato
I see. Are these HM chairs either Mirra or Aeron as worthy as they are hyped as some sort of silver bullet for office chairs? As comfort is an important area when I use it for like 10 hours a day.

That's a question i cant answer; I bought an Steelcase Leap :) I would suggest you try any chair you are considering before you buy it but if you were to ask anybody on here who owns a mirra or aeron they would rate them extremely highly.

Associate
OP
Its more help than anyone on here is likely to be able to give regarding their legitimacy and reputation, at least.

4.2 stars over 1300 reviews is exceptional given that a much higher percentage of disatisfied customers will write on there vs. satisfied ones.
I see, I’ll try to consider this when I’m thinking about it. It’s just the risk of a used chair is a bit weird with me, not sure..

Other option is a SL TITAN or a noble chair HERO to give a go.. can’t try those either.

That's a question i cant answer; I bought an Steelcase Leap :) I would suggest you try any chair you are considering before you buy it but if you were to ask anybody on here who owns a mirra or aeron they would rate them extremely highly.
There’s no place in Belfast where I live to even attempt to test any of these chairs sadly. Neither can we test secret labs or Noble chair sadly..

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Every chair in the office we have is a HM, can definitely confirm their comfortness, although I can't remember the specific model.

As to their condition, that'll vary depending on the condition of them when they were purchased. They could be slightly dirty, or have some minor rips etc. The key is normally in the detail.

Associate
I recently bought a 2nd hand chair from office resale, it was a terrible experience. The chair was old and broken, the re-upholstery was really shoddy.

2nd hand is a well established company but be prepared to return the chair if it's not in good condition or comfortable.

I hate to say it but these 2nd hand companies seem to be out to make fast money. I definitely wouldn't buy a 2nd chair again but if I did I would be asking up front how old the chair was as a starting point.

With the Herman Miller chairs some people love them and some don't, they arn't a silver bullet. One thing I keep reading about is the metal frame lip on the seat which to me looks like a design flaw as there is nothing from stopping it cutting into your legs.

Soldato

Also bought a steelcase leap from 2ndhand site posted above, 6 years ago. Still pretty much in same condition and going strong. Best thing I've bought.

Soldato
Also bought a steelcase leap from 2ndhand site posted above, 6 years ago. Still pretty much in same condition and going strong. Best thing I've bought.

I got one but not from there and they seem to be sold out anyway, the only caveat is there are no individual pictures just generic stock images the one I bought had a picture of the actual chair so you knew exactly what you were buying. You can of course return it if you're not happy but who wants the hassle.

Soldato
With the Herman Miller chairs some people love them and some don't, they arn't a silver bullet. One thing I keep reading about is the metal frame lip on the seat which to me looks like a design flaw as there is nothing from stopping it cutting into your legs.

This only applies to the Aeron. I bought a new Mirra which has an adjustable lip, no sore legs here. I was lucky as I’d had access to both models at work, so it was an easy decision. 3+ months of using my Mirra for 7+ hours a day, everyday during lockdown and my ass/back reaffirms I made the right choice for me.

I tried to buy sh but it was a nightmare and a waste of time. The chair will last years of daily, constant use. £700-1000 depending on model/colour/configuration seemed a reasonable price to pay for not screwing your back/neck/shoulders/ass/legs up.

HM are not for everyone though, as different people have different comfort requirements. Buy from somewhere with a good return policy or pop into John Lewis and try them out.

Associate
It's taken months for me to adapt to the Aeron and even now its not the most comfortable chair I've ever used. I bought mine from 2ndhnd and it is obviously 2nd hand as there are a few chips around the base etc, but functionally it is fine.

Definitely test one out before you commit as they do take some getting used to!

Associate
I'm in the market for a new chair for my home office work, relaxing with music and gaming. I went to the nearest stockist and even with a fair sized showroom they didn't have that many chairs for me to try but they did have one with a mesh back and headrest for about 270+VAT that I like but really I want to try some leather faced ones as I like the look and feel of cream leather. They are going to email me some prices. As I want to try a seat at least once the only other options are to go to John Lewis with the intention of trying expensive chairs and buying second hand ones elsewhere which doesn't feel right or going to 2ndhand's showroom which is a few hours driving!

My last chair was from staples but I went to their shop more recently and the range on show was disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom