***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Thinking of joining my local PureGym, am running out of weights at home and is a ballache to bring the barbell from one room to another. Plus can't do squats properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll fit right in if you have bad squat form ;)

My local Puregym is actually pretty decent apart from one biggest problem which was being very busy. I mostly went in off-peak times around 10pm so wasn't affected but can't go around that time at the moment so cancelled the membership for now.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Finding it hard to put more then 60kg from floor to shoulders in a stable manner....

Plus my barbells getting bent, it has 75 kg max on it and it's so light must be the weakest barbell known to mankind.

Soldato
OP
This sort of thing is fine until you're moving big weights and want the stands to be connected/more stable.

And get a proper 7ft Oly bar and plates!

EDIT - Or sign up to a gym. The Pure gym next to my work isn't dire as long as it's not too busy and I believe they're all relatively alike equipment-wise. It largely comes down to what times you can train though as if you can avoid the typical late afternoon/early-evening window it's likely to not be too bad.

Last edited:

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Yeah, I think puregym it is. Barbell more bent now (my mistake dropped it). I just hope they dont ban for me for grunting... and my loud breathing..

Soldato
OP
If it's anything like my Pure gym, the staff go out of their way to avoid having to interact with members unless they're training them. They'll scurry about picking plates up and putting them back, but not ask the actual people leaving them lying around to do it. The lay person might assume the proper bodybuilding meat-head gym would be the one with more ego and dumb behaviour going on, but it's completely the other way round in my experience.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Had my first session today at 8AM. Not bad.

Apart from the vomit in the car on the way back..

I woke up went bathroom then had a protein shake with water and a pre workout. Then straight to gym.

After session finished (1 hour ) had a protein shake with water.

Had to park the car up and vomited...

I don't think stomach is used to working out at this time, I'll try a banana tomorrow.

Man of Honour
Leg day in 30C+ heat is interesting/hell.

Had my first session today at 8AM. Not bad.

Apart from the vomit in the car on the way back..

I woke up went bathroom then had a protein shake with water and a pre workout. Then straight to gym.

After session finished (1 hour ) had a protein shake with water.

Had to park the car up and vomited...

I don't think stomach is used to working out at this time, I'll try a banana tomorrow.

Sometimes it just takes your body some time to adjust.

Man of Honour
If it's anything like my Pure gym, the staff go out of their way to avoid having to interact with members unless they're training them. They'll scurry about picking plates up and putting them back, but not ask the actual people leaving them lying around to do it. The lay person might assume the proper bodybuilding meat-head gym would be the one with more ego and dumb behaviour going on, but it's completely the other way round in my experience.
I find the chain gyms are exactly that, ego central most of the time without the strength to back it up. The dirty gym tucked away on an industrial estate covered in rust and full of shouting is generally a much nicer place.

Soldato
had a protein shake with water and a pre workout. Then straight to gym.

Try without the protein shake in the morning - it may not have played nicely with the pre-workout in your stomach. Then double scoop the protein post workout if you're after 2 scoops.

I know I wouldn't want my pre-workout and protein shake within quick succession of one another!

B&W

B&W

Soldato
I was ok today, leg day. So I think it was just getting used to working out at that time.

Can do squats easily now with proper equipment.

Plus there's these leg press and leg curl machines, not sure how good they are but did them instead of lunges.

Knees are hurting a bit, not sure if it's the squats or these machines.

Soldato
For knee health avoid leg extensions - while great for building quads they provide an unnatural shearing force on the joints. If performing lunges and also worried about knee health, do a reverse lunge rather than a forward lunge.

Man of Honour
Yeah leg extensions ruin my knees within a session.

Went for a sports massage last night as my lower backs been playing up, feel like I've had the crap kicked out of me today :o

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have bad knees and leg extensions have been wonderful, never had an issue. Lunges hurt my knees more.

The quad pump is sickening on leg extensions.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
I'm guessing by leg extensions you mean leg press.

Feet on plate pushing forward.

Never did them before, so I'm guessing could be these causing the slight pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom