New build (for me this time!)

Associate
Hi all,

I’m back again looking for some advice for a gaming PC for myself after building one for my partners son late last year. He’s managed to get me back into gaming so I’d like something that will run all games at High/Max settings. I’m also considering getting into streaming but won’t be buying a capture card yet but naturally I’d like a build that supports the possibility of streaming.

My partners son has an X450 Tomahawk, Ryzen 3700 CPU and a 5700XT GPU and I’ve been impressed with how it performs.

My own build is currently at:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,094.79 (includes shipping: £28.02)​

any thoughts or swap outs? Is AMD still the way to go and is there a better AMD GPU than the 5700XT on the cards?

Associate
3900X can be had a lot cheaper elsewhere, the cooler the h115i take alook at the h110i be fine for the 3900x and its cheaper. Why do you need 32gb of ram? 16gb at 3600mhz is plenty for gaming.

Case take alook at the NZXT h510 cracking case again cheaper.

Associate
OP
3900X can be had a lot cheaper elsewhere, the cooler the h115i take alook at the h110i be fine for the 3900x and its cheaper. Why do you need 32gb of ram? 16gb at 3600mhz is plenty for gaming.
Yep may not get all the parts here but obvs can’t list them from elsewhere!

Forgot to say there would be a 1TB Rocket NVM SSD in it too. My partners lad is using the H110i but I just liked the idea of a bigger rad! Take your point on the RAM - will drop to 16GB

Associate
Yep may not get all the parts here but obvs can’t list them from elsewhere!

Forgot to say there would be a 1TB Rocket NVM SSD in it too. My partners lad is using the H110i but I just liked the idea of a bigger rad! Take your point on the RAM - will drop to 16GB

I would go for the m2 nvme WD blue. OR i would just get a normal m2 SSD they is no difference in gaming.

Soldato

Case take alook at the NZXT h510 cracking case again cheaper.

OP might want to play a lot of flight sim 2020 and at high/max graphics(Alpha testers are seeing 24GB) . Maybe he won't. Some modded games use more than 16GB, he might want to play them, Maybe he won't. :D

Associate
OP
OP might want to play a lot of flight sim 2020 and at high/max graphics(Alpha testers are seeing 24GB) . Maybe he won't. Some modded games use more than 16GB, he might want to play them, Maybe he won't. :D

I am partial to a good flight sim - I’ve wanted to get back into DCS for a while

Soldato
My partners lad is using the H110i but I just liked the idea of a bigger rad! Take your point on the RAM - will drop to 16GB
Then forget marketing hype Corsair and look for actually beefier radiators, like in Arctic Freezer II.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arct...ormance-cpu-water-cooler-280mm-hs-07c-ar.html

32GB memory is lot better idea than paying Ridiculously Grossly Bloated price from cooler, which really isn't better than top heatpipe coolers in continuous cooling per noise.

Associate
OP
Soldato
Looks like a good build - I’d be tempted to actually keep 32GB RAM though. It’s not that expensive and helps future proof.

If your shopping around then save a decent chunk of the prices too, especially the 3900X.

Associate
OP
Looks like a good build - I’d be tempted to actually keep 32GB RAM though. It’s not that expensive and helps future proof.

If your shopping around then save a decent chunk of the prices too, especially the 3900X.

that’s reassuring feedback, thanks. I think a few final decisions come down to whether I want to go with RGB or not. Originally I thought the answer to that question would be yes, hence some of the decisions mae but it seems I can get more bang for my buck by not taking the RGB route. The one item I seem to be stuck on is the case - should I be looking at Fractal or Bequiet if I don’t want RGB?

Soldato
Either really, whatever you fancy :D

That Arctic 280mm AIO is a good cooler too btw that someone mentioned.

Your RAM btw you spec'd has dropped to £158.99 which is cheapest I think I've seen it. So maybe snap that up, cheaper than the non-RGB but who cares for just some minor RAM RGB if everything else is plain... :p

I quite like this Fractal case tbh. Lots of room to work in and tidy cable management features. Or the black with white interior looks pretty sweet too.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/frac...grey-light-tint-tempered-glass-ca-08n-fd.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/frac...hite-clear-tint-tempered-glass-ca-08j-fd.html

GN did a good review of the case earlier this year too.

Associate
Either really, whatever you fancy :D

That Arctic 280mm AIO is a good cooler too btw that someone mentioned.

Your RAM btw you spec'd has dropped to £158.99 which is cheapest I think I've seen it. So maybe snap that up, cheaper than the non-RGB but who cares for just some minor RAM RGB if everything else is plain... :p

I quite like this Fractal case tbh. Lots of room to work in and tidy cable management features. Or the black with white interior looks pretty sweet too.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/frac...grey-light-tint-tempered-glass-ca-08n-fd.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/frac...hite-clear-tint-tempered-glass-ca-08j-fd.html

GN did a good review of the case earlier this year too.

I have the Fractal 6 and it's honestly the best case ever. Lovely finish, quiet, and building a system was a dream.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Go for the 3900X (and get it for £400 elsewhere) - no point in the XT model.

Don't bother with SN750 not worth it, get the SN550 for £70 less
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/storage/ssd-solid-state/m.2

Red Devil not worth £440... get this MSI one. If you was gonna spend £450 on a GPU may as well get the 2070 Super lol
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35s-ms.html

thanks, that’s saved a decent amount for me. I switched to the Sapphire Nitro card as I didn’t like the look of the MSI one:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,044.80 (includes shipping: £28.02)​

Soldato
I'd just go for the £449 2070 Super at that price, you're not far off.

It's 10% faster or equal in a lot of games over the 5700 XT.

Looks good now otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom